Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you organize your photos ?

Default Re: How do you organize your photos ?

I keep mine on CD/DVD, in duplicate copies. And on different brands too, in case there is a batch problem during production.

i rename my files YYMMDD_HHNNSS_XCCCC. That's by year, month, day of month, hour, minutes and seconds. X is a single letter designating the camera that took the picture, CCCC the original number given by the camera. i also make it point to time-sync my cameras when using more than one for the day.

The files are then stored in directories by year, quater, month and event. The system works for the most part, but is weak for subjects shot over a long period of time. Finding a file is relatively painless if i can remember roughly when it was take.

Storage-wise my active files sit in an external USB box holding 4 HDDs, currently housing 1.3TB. USB is not terribly fast, but since my working system is a laptop, i don't have many options for online mass storage. Firewire is a little faster, and a possible future upgrade.

i backup everything to another PC housing 4x250GBs in a RAID5 array, via gigabit LAN, about once a month. That PC is off most of the time, in case of a virus attack or a power surge.

All data is also backed up on DVDs, filed away in pouches and stored vertically in a dry cabinet. Practically, i would not consider files tucked in DVDs to be 'accessible', and hence a last resort for retrieval.

This might sound a little excessive, but i had more harddisk (and DVD) disasters than i care to recall. i'd rather invest a little more in storage than tear my hair running recovery software on crashed hdds and spending hours trying to read unreadable DVDs.
    Last edited by ST1100; 9th January 2007 at 02:41 PM.

looking at this, do u all think we shld be shooting less photos?

what i meant is dun shoot like machine gun ... dun bcos of KS just wack many shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    looking at this, do u all think we shld be shooting less photos?

what i meant is dun shoot like machine gun ... dun bcos of KS just wack many shots.
    0 Photography = Nil storage problem.

If you just archive your pics in CD/DVD. IIRC disk stakka (sp) do give you online indexing facility. It's pretty cheap option but might be labourous as your collection grows.

Other options include high capacity HDD in the various flavors such as, ext hdd, RAID, NAS... etc.

At the end of the day it still boils down to personal dicipline to differenciate blind storage or archiving those really significant ones.

For myself, I've an internal RAID 5 in my PC, giving me 500G worth of space. And annually, I go through all the accumulated pics and rate them. If I run out of disk space, I'll just delete those lower rated pics.

That being said, I'm exploring options on remote capable RAID-NAS. It's all about budget.

Hmmmm.......... and who still says digital is cheaper than film. Quick shoot him/her!

me....2 160GB external 3.5" hard disk(devide into 3 partition each)but......untill now i total space i used.... only 80GB i kiasu hor!
    Last edited by ioriroger; 9th January 2007 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caspere View Post
    Hmmmm.......... and who still says digital is cheaper than film. Quick shoot him/her!
    It IS cheaper... how many 8/10MP jpegs can a 250HDD hold?

I name them by events or place! Then burned them into DVDs, and keep a copy in the harddisk. If you're worrying about running out of diskspace, you should housekeep and delete all the No Good pictures away. I do that all the time, and can save up to 40% of space most of the time. Cheers!

I'm thinking of upgrading my Flickr account to 'Pro'. For USD24.95/year, you get UNLIMITED storage & bandwidth. Plus you get to showcase your photos too! No need to worry so much about all the hard disks that i need to buy. Yahoo will do all the necessary backup for me at their datacentre. What u guys think?

FYI, a true backup is always having 2 of the same thing at any point of time, especially for hard disks.
    Flickr Me! :: Nikon D80 :: Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC MACRO

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    How much is a Buffalo Terastation?
    http://www.buffalotech.co.uk/product...&categoryid=19

Quote Originally Posted by look4raymond View Post
    I'm thinking of upgrading my Flickr account to 'Pro'. For USD24.95/year, you get UNLIMITED storage & bandwidth. Plus you get to showcase your photos too! No need to worry so much about all the hard disks that i need to buy. Yahoo will do all the necessary backup for me at their datacentre. What u guys think?

FYI, a true backup is always having 2 of the same thing at any point of time, especially for hard disks.
    it is time consuming to upload all the full resolution pictures... and same goes for downloading them back to restore your lost.... unless you got a super duper fast and no-lag broadband and they have a super duper fast bandwidth as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    it is time consuming to upload all the full resolution pictures... and same goes for downloading them back to restore your lost.... unless you got a super duper fast and no-lag broadband and they have a super duper fast bandwidth as well.
    Ya, i have considered about this. I will use my Flickr Pro account to backup all my greatest photos only.

Another thing, Hitachi is releasing a 1 Terabyte Hard Disk liaoz! Just FYI.
    Last edited by look4raymond; 10th January 2007 at 11:57 PM.
    Flickr Me! :: Nikon D80 :: Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC MACRO

What happens when you stop renewing your pro account?

Quote Originally Posted by asterixsg View Post
    This has been bothering me a little bit and I guess I could use some advice from all your experienced folks.

The rate at which we are shooting photos, we are gonna consume more and more diskspace. Right now, I have a 200Gb Maxtor harddisk where I keep dumping photos. At times, when I am not too lazy, I delete some of those junk images. But I realize that sooner or later I am gonna run out of diskspace.

How are you guys organizing your photos ? Do you burn DVDs of selected images ?
    A friend of mine told me he burns DVDs in additional to copying to an external harddisk.
    I wonder if 5 years from now, I want to look at a particular image, how am I gonna locate it, from a cupboard full of DVDs.

Also, keeping in mind that the IT show is round the corner, any recommendations to external storage would be appreciated. Last year, I bought the 200Gb Maxtor harddisk for S$169 on the last day of the IT show. Do you know if this price has dropped further ?

Cheers.
    When just started photography - save to Hard disk
    After a while - convert to burn to CDs
    Not long after awhlle - convert to burn to DVDs
    Now - Store all photos to 1 TG Firewire 800 connection HD and every week syn to another 1 TG Firewire 800 connection HD as backup

Won't have problem locating photos as I use Aperture to manage the photos. The master unedited copy and edited copy are all save together

Last edited by DarkForce; 27th January 2007 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkForce View Post
    Now - Store all photos to 1 TG Firewire 800 connection HD and every week syn to another 1 TG Firewire 800 connection HD as backup
    Wah! DF got a Tetra-Gigabyte HDD
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkForce View Post
    When just started photography - save to Hard disk
    After a while - convert to burn to CDs
    Not long after awhlle - convert to burn to DVDs

Won't have problem locating photos as I use Aperture to manage the photos. The master unedited copy and edited copy are all save together

If you store both HD in the same location, then only protected from HD failure.

Quote Originally Posted by lwm View Post
    If you store both HD in the same location, then only protected from HD failure.
    True. The method I use will not protected my data from theft and Fire.

If one day I take photography as my career (very unlikely) , then I will store my backup in another remote location.

Meanwhile since I shoot for fun , the current method should be just nice for my personal use .

Regards
    Last edited by DarkForce; 29th January 2007 at 11:10 PM.

it's something i've been thinking about for a while now. atm i only have a copy on my hard drive which is quickly running out of room. i also back up a copy on dvd.

i'm looking at investing in a 750gb external hard drive (might go for the maxtor one touch III for hd-enclosure compatibility sake...i've had problems with external casings and separate hd's before). the 1tb is just too much of a cost jump from the 750gb right now for me (i'm a student). i don't have a pc as i use a laptop, so i think this will be the most viable and space saving option. everything will still be backed up on dvd as a last resort option. i hate going thru dvd media looking for data.
    5D | 24-70L | 28mm f/1.8 | 580EX

Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    I am using 2 backups:-

1. External HDD Storage via RJ45, V-Gear LanDisk with 200 gig HDD

2. DVD backup. Compile all photos into 4.7 gig and burn them into DVD-R. Use printable DVD to label backup content. Store all DVD media in the dry cabinet.

The V-Gear LanDisk looks like a interesting option. Can it be found in SLS and how much does it cost?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast