Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Humming bird

  1. #1

    Default Humming bird

    Hi all,

    Mind to share how to take humming bird shot? I have taken many shots.. .but all blur...


    Cheers.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    think some of them use external flash to "freeze" the bird....
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  3. #3

    Default

    You definitely need a flash to help freeze the hummingbird..
    Here's a few examples of different shutter speeds..


    Sparkling Violet-ear 1/800s f3.2 ISO200


    Male Purple Honeycreeper 1/30s f3.2 ISO100


    Female Purple Honeycreeper 1/60s f3.2 ISO100

  4. #4

    Default

    But with flash ..... the glass will reflect it back right?

    Or for G2.. i need something more powerful.. like 420 EX...

  5. #5

    Default

    Originally posted by sonix
    But with flash ..... the glass will reflect it back right?

    Or for G2.. i need something more powerful.. like 420 EX...
    The first shot is taken behind the glass while the 2nd and 3rd are in the open aviary in JBP...

    To prevent the flash from being picked up by the camera, either the lens or the flash has to be almost touching if not in full contact with the glass. I found that a flash extender with also helps to direct the flash through the glass rather than allowing it to flood the whole area.

  6. #6

    Default

    Here are some more taken behind the glass..


    Amazila HummingBird 1/30s f2.8 ISO100


    Paradise Tanager 1/640 f3.5 ISO200

  7. #7

    Default

    I see...

    Thanks... will try again next time.....

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    willy, how do you take your pics behind the glass? special permission from Jurong Bird Park?
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    ClubSNAP East
    Posts
    1,702

    Default

    Originally posted by sonix
    I see...

    Thanks... will try again next time.....
    Do you have any tele-lens? I don't think the 3x zoom of the G2 would be sufficient.

    Anyway, good luck!

    :Later,

  10. #10

    Default

    Originally posted by mpenza
    willy, how do you take your pics behind the glass? special permission from Jurong Bird Park?
    No no... I mean behind the glass from the bird's position.. (ie... normal position)...

  11. #11

    Default

    Originally posted by Pinoy
    Do you have any tele-lens? I don't think the 3x zoom of the G2 would be sufficient.

    Anyway, good luck!

    :Later,
    My 707 has 5x... and my B300 has a 1.7x...
    But I don't use the B300 for the hummingbirds..
    Last edited by willyfoo; 4th March 2002 at 08:55 AM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default

    how fast can those humming birds beat their wings?

    u need 1/800s to freeze their wing, even 1/60 also not fast enough!

    wonder how many shots you have tried before getting the first pic?

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Bukit Batok West Avenue 2
    Posts
    1,734

    Default

    At 1/800 I think some flash will have difficulty to sync liao....

  14. #14

    Default

    Originally posted by kamwai
    how fast can those humming birds beat their wings?

    u need 1/800s to freeze their wing, even 1/60 also not fast enough!

    wonder how many shots you have tried before getting the first pic?
    Hummingbirds beat their wings from 80/s normally up to 200/s during courtship.

    Sometime you don't want to fully freeze the wings... some motion blur is nice to show movement... I've had comments that the first shot looks like a toy hummingbird suspended on an invisible string..

    For the first pic, the Sparkling Violet-ear goes to the feeder once in 20 minutes on an average (when I was there).. it doesn't stay long at the feeder, only long enough to take 1 shot. 2 shots out of 4 were spoilt (wings were in a wrong position)... the other shot that came out ok was the wing in a downward position


  15. #15

    Default

    Originally posted by willyfoo


    Hummingbirds beat their wings from 80/s normally up to 200/s during courtship.

    Sometime you don't want to fully freeze the wings... some motion blur is nice to show movement... I've had comments that the first shot looks like a toy hummingbird suspended on an invisible string..

    For the first pic, the Sparkling Violet-ear goes to the feeder once in 20 minutes on an average (when I was there).. it doesn't stay long at the feeder, only long enough to take 1 shot. 2 shots out of 4 were spoilt (wings were in a wrong position)... the other shot that came out ok was the wing in a downward position
    Wow. I guess we need to do some research in order to take excellent shot. Tks for sharing.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Hi,

    From my limited experience in shooting the hummingbird in JBP quite some time ago, here are some personal tips:

    1. Prefocus on the feeder, lock the focus (or set to MF mode) at that focus point.

    2. To prevent flash reflection from the glass, shoot at an angle; don't shoot directly in front. E.g. 30 off centre.

    3. Use flash all the time. Don't worry about low shutter speeds as the flash will effectively freeze the wing motion as flash duration is like 1/1000s and above.

    4. Have lots of patience.

    Regards
    CK

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •