Thread: What species of fungus grows on lens?

Question What species of fungus grows on lens?

I tried to Google it, but all I could find were references to contact lens fungus.

Any idea?
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Default Re: What species of fungus grows on lens?

Magic Mushroom.

Ok just kidding lar but seriously I have no idea. Prolly the same kind you find growing on mouldy old leather...whitish with spots. Any type of fungus is bad...the only way to prevent it is to store all your lenses inside dry cabinet and maintain at constant humidity around 45-55%.

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    I tried to Google it, but all I could find were references to contact lens fungus.

Any idea?
    No one has any idea what species of fungi are found on lenses, since lenses are considered hostile environment for growth of fungi. The fungal mycelia found would look pretty distinct from its normal form, as the limited nutrients force it to have lesser cell contents. These contents then move from one section of the hyphal to the tip, to facilitate further growth. Asexual reproduction by these fungi are also limited, and none of the elaborate conidia is seen on lenses.

However, the guesses are that these fungi are usually those that are plentiful in nature like Aspergillus sp. and Penicillium sp. I can't recall off-hand, but some group show how certain Aspergillus sp. "fixes" carbon from carbon dioxide (in minute amount and with absence of light) to substain itself in oligotrophic condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Garion View Post
    Magic Mushroom.
    We refer to magic mushrooms as those associated with hallucinogens.

Quote Originally Posted by Garion View Post
    Any type of fungus is bad...
    Who said any type of fungus is bad? Chinese white fungus is good for making dessert and black fungus for Chinese cooking. They are tasty!

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm View Post
    Who said any type of fungus is bad? Chinese white fungus is good for making dessert and black fungus for Chinese cooking. They are tasty!
    So you wanna cook and taste lens fungus?

It's the Lentinula edodes fungus

Lentinula edodes

actually why does the fungus grow? really... and why on lenes or do they grow on EVErything just that we seem to be able to clean everywhere but inside the lens?

do they grow on speaker cones? or inside of drinking glasses not used for a long time? bottles? only like grow in lenes leh? maybe i'm wrong i dont know.. haha... maybe the manufacturer put em there?

Quote Originally Posted by moos blues View Post
    actually why does the fungus grow? really... and why on lenes or do they grow on EVErything just that we seem to be able to clean everywhere but inside the lens?

do they grow on speaker cones? or inside of drinking glasses not used for a long time? bottles? only like grow in lenes leh? maybe i'm wrong i dont know.. haha... maybe the manufacturer put em there?
    Fungi grow almost everywhere. They are the main cause of problem in contaminating oil storage in oil refinery. They can grow in salted environment, like on salted fish. They can also grow in extremely hostile place like alcohol, something we associate with for sterilisation of surfaces.

Why do fungi grow everywhere? Because that's their lifestyle. Unless us human, who have only a few offspring, but making sure that they grow to adulthood, each fungi release thousands and millions of spores in the air. *Do you know that the main cause of sick-building sickness is because of fungal spores (and mites)?*

Each spore can grow independently into a mycelia in the correct environment, and in turn produce thousands and millions of spores. That way, they can ensure the species survival.

Why do fungi grow on lenses then? Imagine there are millions of spores around us. As it land on any surfaces, especially those that are warm and moist, it would germinate and attempt to grow into a mycelium. On surfaces that are resource rich, like the surface of bread, some bread mould (Mucor sp.) happily enlarges itself and produce numerous fruiting bodies, giving the nice black colouration we see on "spoilt" bread. On surfaces that are rather poor, most will germinate but dies off, with no traces of mycelium. However, since not all fungal spore is equal, some manage to survive somehow, and strive.

Your lenses is a poor environment for spores to grow. It doesn't contain any usable resources for fungal growth and physiology. However, that doesn't mean that fungi aren't able to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by yilishengxian View Post
    So you wanna cook and taste lens fungus?
    If it's edible and you can harvest it, why not?

that is why i always try to keep the gear inside the electric dry cabinet. fungus kills the coating on your lenses.

I read somewhere putting your lens in the sun will kill off the fungus... not sure true or not

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    It's the Lentinula edodes fungus

Lentinula edodes
    Haha... I thought a more appropriate name would be Lensikiller destructoides

On a more serious note, researchers have found the following fungi growing on optical instruments:-
    Penicillium spinulosum, Thom.
    Penicillium commune, Thom.
    Penicillium citrinum, Thom.
    Aspergillus niger, Van Tiegh.
    Trichoderma viride, Pers. ex-Fr.
    Mucor racemosus, Fres.
    Mucor ramannianus, A. Moeller.

Reference paper:-
    Tropic-Proofing of Optical Instruments by a Fungicide.
    J.S. Turner, E.I. McLennan, J.S. Rogers, & E. Matthaei.
    University of Melbourne.
    Nature 158 (Oct. 5, 1946) 469-473.

Aspergillus niger
    Aspergillus fumigatus
    Aspergillus candidus
    Penicillium sp.
    Paecilomyces sp.
    Syncephalastrum sp.
    Sepedonium sp.
    Cuvulvaria sp.
    Fusarium sp.
    Monilia sp.
    Cladosporium sp.

Reference paper:-
    Saxena, B.B.L., S.S. Nigam, & S.R. Sengupta. Defence Research Laboratory (Stores), Kanpur.
    Fungal Attack of Optical Instruments & Its Prevention.
    Paper presented at the Symposium on Instruments, held at TDE (Instruments), Dehra
    Dun, in November 1959.
    Indian Journal of Technology 1 (1963) 283-286

(Above info from http://www.europa.com/~telscope/fungus.txt)
    Last edited by alvinsclee; 8th January 2007 at 11:55 AM.

If i got fungus on my skin, i touch it then go touch the lens, se-ka-li the lens started to have fungus... then i go see doctor, doctor gives me a cream to appy & i apply on the lens also...