Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alert : Bees Attack in Labrador Park

Default Re: Alert : Bees Attack in Labrador Park

ask u all, if i spot one, can i use a baygon spray plus a lighter to kill and burn them in one swoop ?

Would not advise. If in the wild, it may accidentally burn down the plants. If in residential area, it may accidentally burn down the building! Some of them may also simply bypass the fire and sting you, so unless you have a protective suit and familiar with the technique, best to leave nests alone.

woah, what to if bees chases me on the street? Think I will run and dash into someone's car to isolate myself. Bees are slower than human running right?

If there's a car waiting for you, just jump into it and shut the door!
    If the car isn't yours or doesn't belong to anyone you know and you can't get in, just dive around the other side and then lie low - this will confuse them. Just make sure you don't do that on the side near the road as the danger from traffic may be even worse!

Quote Originally Posted by vespa_bicolor View Post
    Home made smoke bomb to knock out most bees and wasps:

Take a ping pong ball, crush it flat by stepping on it. Wrap in aluminium foil (the usual type used in the kitchen). No need to be thick, but make sure it is tightly wrapped. Burn it with a lighter until it starts emitting smoke but is not on fire. Drop below the nest, stand back and watch!

It does work! I sometimes use it when relocating wasp/hornet nests (meaning transfering a whole live colony from an urban area where it can cause trouble to a deserted area!), when the colony is too agitated for me to remove, especially when I didn't bring my protective suit.

Seriously though, you won't have time to prepare this if under attack. Best thing to do is to RUN! In the opposite direction the swarm came from. One very effective method is to suddenly cut corners, a building is best but a big tree trunk will do. Dart behind it and then bend down low. The swarm will be searching for you but won't find you if you don't move. This method saved my life too many times to count.
    how come you have so many encountered with bees/hornets?
    are you working as pest controls?

If there's a car waiting for you, just jump into it and shut the door! If the car isn't yours or doesn't belong to anyone you know and you can't get in, just dive around the other side and then lie low - this will confuse them. Just make sure you don't do that on the side near the road as the danger from traffic may be even worse!
    Adverted bee stung but ga na hit by a passing car or truck instead... tat is funny... Sounds like Final Destination Part 4.

My fren was a trainer for that group. He got stung quite bad too. Truth is, some idiot threw stone at the bee hive that trigger the attack.

Bees don't usually attack unless provoked.

Quote Originally Posted by devilion View Post
    My fren was a trainer for that group. He got stung quite bad too. Truth is, some idiot threw stone at the bee hive that trigger the attack.

Bees don't usually attack unless provoked.
    how about smoke ? are they afraid of smoke and fumes ?

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    how about smoke ? are they afraid of smoke and fumes ?
    Yes~ But in an event of bee attack. Only thing to do is RUN! Run away from their hive. Cover your face and neck area as you seek shelter. Do not jump into water, bees will wait for you. Unless you can hold your breath underwater for a VERY long time.

Quote Originally Posted by amateur_photographer View Post
    how come you have so many encountered with bees/hornets?
    are you working as pest controls?
    Nope, I've been researching them for years as part of a hobby that turned into a passion, and have completed 90% of a guidebook on species in Hong Kong.

Nope, I've been researching them for years as part of a hobby that turned into a passion, and have completed 90% of a guidebook on species in Hong Kong.
    So, we have an expert in "beelogy" here. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Maybe, u can let us know the title of your guide book (if it is allowed by your publisher). Are u writing from Hong Kong?

Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    So, we have an expert in "beelogy" here. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Maybe, u can let us know the title of your guide book (if it is allowed by your publisher). Are u writing from Hong Kong?
    It's a pleasure to share what I know and have learnt, mainly because I'm doing it for the bees and hornets actually!

I'm writing from Hong Kong now, I'm here most of the time except for two trips to Singapore a year, each lasting a month. Sorry that I can't shed much light on the book yet because it is not completed and lots of things are not certain at this moment.

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    ask u all, if i spot one, can i use a baygon spray plus a lighter to kill and burn them in one swoop ?

If the wind blow towards you, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    If the wind blow towards you, good luck.
    Then again, i've to say it's 'Final Destination Part 4'...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123