Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alert : Bees Attack in Labrador Park

Default Re: Alert : Bees Attack in Labrador Park

well, i once used my 50mm to do close up on hornet in my school... was barely 0.3m away from them

Quote Originally Posted by Verticoastro View Post
    also, one of the student smack a bee to the floor and the other step on it to kill it once and for all... then hell broke loose..
    One for All, All for One!

The Bees damn united.
    Kill one of their members,
    They turned up FULL FORCE!!!!

Machiam triad society.

I believe the attack was caused by the student stepping on and killing the bee, which probably caused it to release alarm pheromones. I have been on the receiving end of such attacks and it is hard to describe just how quickly things can happen!

Actually, it is a general misconception that honeybees are completely docile. They can become very aggressive at certain periods. When swarming to start a new colony, for example, they are usually unaggressive. But certain factors can cause them to turn aggressive, for instance cloudy weather, high temperatures or just before a storm. If the nest had been disturbed before (not necessarily by humans, but by predators such as hornets, other insects or birds), they are even more likely to be on guard. Honeybees, like hornets, are capable of using chemical signals to direct an attack. Iíve spent the last few years researching wasps and bees in Hong Kong, and there are a couple of hornet species I would far rather approach than a colony of honeybees on the defensive!

Of course, most such reports donít identify the species, so it could have been an attack by honeybees, hornets or some of the numerous other social wasps found in Singapore..
    Last edited by vespa_bicolor; 6th January 2007 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vespa_bicolor View Post
    I believe the attack was caused by the student stepping on and killing the bee, which probably caused it to release alarm pheromones. I have been on the receiving end of such attacks and it is hard to describe just how quickly things can happen!

Actually, it is a general misconception that honeybees are completely docile. They can become very aggressive at certain periods. When swarming to start a new colony, for example, they are usually unaggressive. But certain factors can cause them to turn aggressive, for instance cloudy weather, high temperatures or just before a storm. If the nest had been disturbed before (not necessarily by humans, but by predators such as hornets, other insects or birds), they are even more likely to be on guard. Honeybees, like hornets, are capable of using chemical signals to direct an attack. Iíve spent the last few years researching wasps and bees in Hong Kong, and there are a couple of hornet species I would far rather approach than a colony of honeybees on the defensive!

Of course, most such reports donít identify the species, so it could have been an attack by honeybees, hornets or some of the numerous other social wasps found in Singapore..

Uhm, I don't quite think we have the african honey bee in singapore yet, if that's the one you're referring to . Then again, I may never know! Yeah..'pheromones' is the word I wanted to use but I forgot to spell it..thanks for that!

The African honeybee or the "Africanized" or "killer" bee are simply subspecies of the common honeybee, Apis mellifera.

The common bee in Singapore, however, is the Asian common honeybee, Apis cerana. And because most of them in Singapore are found wild and not domesticated in man-made hives, they are somewhat more aggressive and unpredictable than their domestic counterparts elsewhere. Besides this, there are two other honeybees in Singapore. The dwarf honeybee (Apis florea) is small, builds open single-combed nests in low bushes and is very gentle, and cannot sting effectively through an adult's skin. The giant honeybee (Apis dorsata) is highly aggressive and dangerous, but luckily usually nests very high in trees. Could have been either the giant or common honeybee; the dwarf almost never attacks.

By the way, in the tropics (like Singapore) both honeybees and hornets make far bigger colonies and nests than in the subtropics (like Hong Kong) or temperate regions (like much of Europe). A hornet's nest the size of a football in Singapore is considered very small; I saw one at the Botanic Gardens measuring nearly 5 feet in diameter, both horizontally and vertically!

Quote Originally Posted by JoshSiao View Post
    Labrador Park has lots of bees about. The last time I went there in July, I saw this hive... Shot it from afar...

is this a hole in a wall where they build they hive ?

Actually if the bees come to attack you how to avoid ah? Army during outfield supposed to tie comscord to smoke grenade and zao la...but in labrador park? not easy to find ?river?pond or somewhere to hide where they can't fly in.

i think we should design home made smoke bomb thats lens size so can fit in camera bag...

Quote Originally Posted by allsmilez View Post
    Actually if the bees come to attack you how to avoid ah? Army during outfield supposed to tie comscord to smoke grenade and zao la...but in labrador park? not easy to find ?river?pond or somewhere to hide where they can't fly in.

i think we should design home made smoke bomb thats lens size so can fit in camera bag...
    i kana hornet attack in my BMT days...

I got stung once in pri sch, another when a bee entered my house and I accidently crushed it with my arm (lying on floor watching tv).

Home made smoke bomb to knock out most bees and wasps:

Take a ping pong ball, crush it flat by stepping on it. Wrap in aluminium foil (the usual type used in the kitchen). No need to be thick, but make sure it is tightly wrapped. Burn it with a lighter until it starts emitting smoke but is not on fire. Drop below the nest, stand back and watch!

It does work! I sometimes use it when relocating wasp/hornet nests (meaning transfering a whole live colony from an urban area where it can cause trouble to a deserted area!), when the colony is too agitated for me to remove, especially when I didn't bring my protective suit.

Seriously though, you won't have time to prepare this if under attack. Best thing to do is to RUN! In the opposite direction the swarm came from. One very effective method is to suddenly cut corners, a building is best but a big tree trunk will do. Dart behind it and then bend down low. The swarm will be searching for you but won't find you if you don't move. This method saved my life too many times to count.

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    ask u, if u happen to drove a small van and pass by.. will u rescue Charby's 6 models ? or the 24 photographers ?
    Bees are very smart creatures. From the paper, the bees attacked becoz a student killed one of them and the rest juz reacted by attacking them, possibly "defending" themselves.
    There is little chance for anyone to help .... think it is best everyone should run to the nearest unit where there is a door and "break up" the bees to more manageable quantity where you can start defending yrself. Another possibly is to jump into the sea and try to be below the water for as long as possible. Other than this, I have no idea how to save myself....
    In some parts of Africa, the bees can follow you up to a few km before they give up.
    always the Light, .... always.

news report were so brief..

By the way, in the tropics (like Singapore) both honeybees and hornets make far bigger colonies and nests than in the subtropics (like Hong Kong) or temperate regions (like much of Europe). A hornet's nest the size of a football in Singapore is considered very small; I saw one at the Botanic Gardens measuring nearly 5 feet in diameter, both horizontally and vertically!
    Hwrm, then the one at my place must be Apis florea then..the nest was smaller than my palm and exposed.

More news: http://newpaper.asia1.com/news/story...20862,00.html?

I guess since stings were left in the wounds and had to be pulled out, they were certainly honeybees and not hornets.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
    Hwrm, then the one at my place must be Apis florea then..the nest was smaller than my palm and exposed.
    Guess so too, the common Apis cerana almost always nests in crevices; you can see the guard bees outside the entrance but never the actual nest. Here's a shot of an Apis florea nest on a tree in my uncle's garden, taken last March.

More news: http://newpaper.asia1.com/news/story...20862,00.html?

I guess since stings were left in the wounds and had to be pulled out, they were certainly honeybees and not hornets.

Guess so too, the common Apis cerana almost always nests in crevices; you can see the guard bees outside the entrance but never the actual nest. Here's a shot of an Apis florea nest on a tree in my uncle's garden, taken last March.

Yep! That certainly looked like it!

Read they're one of the most primitive of honey bees..now I'm getting interested lol.

I used to have a major population of bees at my place cause one of our hobbies is keeping exotic orchids we import from overseas. Needless to say..we saw alot of symbiotic relationships we never did see, especially with the phillipino orchids and hornets.

WTH man! I just got stung 3 times! Likely wasp/hornet as no sting left. Right outside my house on the road!! Was walking outside my house next to pavement, must be i step on dead wasp/hornet or something then kenna stung 3 times once on neck, elbow and hand. Run like hell but lucky none follow me, must be a single insect.
    Damn pain now, took an antihistamine and bronchodilator just in case, haha ask my parents call 995 if i collapse, choy ah.

They're going crazy man these bee/wasp things. No known hives near my house, not as if forested area lor.

WTH man! I just got stung 3 times! Likely wasp/hornet as no sting left. Right outside my house on the road!! Was walking outside my house next to pavement, must be i step on dead wasp/hornet or something then kenna stung 3 times once on neck, elbow and hand. Run like hell but lucky none follow me, must be a single insect.
    Damn pain now, took an antihistamine and bronchodilator just in case, haha ask my parents call 995 if i collapse, choy ah.

They're going crazy man these bee/wasp things. No known hives near my house, not as if forested area lor.
    mosquitoes?

Not necessarily in forested areas! We tend to think of Singapore as an urban jungle but you can find trees and ornamental bushes in almost every housing estate. And these are enough for wasps to nest in.

Sounds like an attack all right; 1 time may be accident, 3 times certainly not. Not likely you stepped on one, or you wouldn't get away with just 3 stings. More likely you passed by some nest and just happened they were in a defensive mood for some reason. You live in Bukit Timah? That is one area full of insect wildlife! Better check in the trees around your house, there may be a nest. Look at the tiles, walls, roof etc too, and at the ground on the outdoor area.

Not necessarily in forested areas! We tend to think of Singapore as an urban jungle but you can find trees and ornamental bushes in almost every housing estate. And these are enough for wasps to nest in.

Sounds like an attack all right; 1 time may be accident, 3 times certainly not. Not likely you stepped on one, or you wouldn't get away with just 3 stings. More likely you passed by some nest and just happened they were in a defensive mood for some reason. You live in Bukit Timah? That is one area full of insect wildlife! Better check in the trees around your house, there may be a nest. Look at the tiles, walls, roof etc too, and at the ground on the outdoor area.
    yup i'll check it out alright, call in the exterminators if i see anything again. my area is not "forested" just the usual neighbourhood with trees on the pavements. but will go out again in the morning to take a look. thanks for the advice!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast