Thread: how to select a flash unit

Default how to select a flash unit

hi all~

newbie here would like to find out more about flash units.

how do u determine a gd flash unit (given the wide price range from sub $100 to $???)?

which brands are gd?

how do i prevent myself from getting ripped off when shopping for it?

thanks in advance!!

Deregistered

Default Re: how to select a flash unit

which brand camera u holding...

if canon..use 580EX...

if nikon...use SB800...

I think it's best not to just swipe for the top-end products. What sort of photos do you normally take? Holiday Or just a family thing every now and then? If you don't use the flash unit much, SB800 will be a waste of money. The SB600 (or other brand's mid-range would be a better choice).

And you're using an SLR right?

nope nope...i am actually going to get a panasonic fz50...so was thinking if need be, i will buy it together when i am at the shop.

juz wondering if a flash unit would be helpful to me in terms of learning...so its unlikely for me to spend a bomb on the flash.

are there any "recommended readings" about flash & stuff in relevance to my questions posted on the beginning of the thread?

Quote Originally Posted by xaviertte View Post
    nope nope...i am actually going to get a panasonic fz50...so was thinking if need be, i will buy it together when i am at the shop.

juz wondering if a flash unit would be helpful to me in terms of learning...so its unlikely for me to spend a bomb on the flash.

are there any "recommended readings" about flash & stuff in relevance to my questions posted on the beginning of the thread?
    My $0.02

If you are using the FZ-50 there are a number of flash that you can use...

Primarily, Panasonic has licensed / copied the olympus hot shoe design and thus you should be looking at the olympus FL-XX flashes... There are also reports that the nikon SB600/SB800 can be used for the Panasonic as well thou I didn't have an unit to try it out...

I would recommend that maybe you can look around for a decent second hand olympus FL-36. The flash isn't too expensive and it is quite good although cos it used only 2 AA, it drains out pretty fast...

You can also look out for the new Nikon SB400 thou I don't think that it would be cheap....

Quote Originally Posted by Xeonic View Post
    My $0.02

If you are using the FZ-50 there are a number of flash that you can use...

Primarily, Panasonic has licensed / copied the olympus hot shoe design and thus you should be looking at the olympus FL-XX flashes... There are also reports that the nikon SB600/SB800 can be used for the Panasonic as well thou I didn't have an unit to try it out...

I would recommend that maybe you can look around for a decent second hand olympus FL-36. The flash isn't too expensive and it is quite good although cos it used only 2 AA, it drains out pretty fast...

You can also look out for the new Nikon SB400 thou I don't think that it would be cheap....
    SB400 price is ok la....cheapest in the newer line up of flashes...
    SB800-$620, SB600-$350, SB400-around $250
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2 View Post
    SB400 price is ok la....cheapest in the newer line up of flashes...
    SB800-$620, SB600-$350, SB400-around $250
    Wow!! at least the SB400 is affordable... :P

the other day i went into cathay MS to get a feel of the fz50...the guy showed me a flash tat with a price tag like...$50 or $70? hhmm...i wondered wat the hell did he show to me...

the other day i went into cathay MS to get a feel of the fz50...the guy showed me a flash tat with a price tag like...$50 or $70? hhmm...i wondered wat the hell did he show to me...
    I think it is most probably a third party flash but I suspect it may be one without TTL which is one of the impt thing for a panasonic FZ50.

Perhaps u would like to check again wat was the flash that is recommended by cathay marina?

ya, like wat xeonic said, the flash should preferably have TTL for ur FZ-50...
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

i did ask the guy if there's TTL...think he gestured a yes or what. anyway i will juz check again if i go get one.

but back to my original question, how do i define a gd flash unit?

how do i define a gd flash unit?

ermm well.. the simplest and non-technical way of defination.. the price

Quote Originally Posted by DT_ View Post
    ermm well.. the simplest and non-technical way of defination.. the price

I totally agreed...

Why not set urself a budget and then work out what is the best flash u can get?

For me, I gotten the FL-36 (second hand ) for the FZ50... and to be frank, I think it works great.. (I was very very lucky in that, the perosn who sold me the flash had maintained so well it look brand new.)