Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: questions about the spyder2 calibrator

Default Re: questions about the spyder2 calibrator

Quote Originally Posted by iboey View Post
    My startup folder is still empty
    Do another calibration run but make sure you finish the job and not let it hang. Remember to turn off screen saver b4 running it again.

Quote Originally Posted by YogiBear View Post
    Do another calibration run but make sure you finish the job and not let it hang. Remember to turn off screen saver b4 running it again.
    I deleted my the adobe gamme, reinstall color vision and recalibrated. The startup folder is still empty...

and i alwiz have this problem. same on my gf laptop. although it has error but it still can calibrate just that it dun auto load my calibrated profile. I even copied the ColorVisionStartup file into the startup folder and still dosent work.

Last edited by iboey; 14th January 2007 at 02:54 PM.

Maybe you can put a shortcut in there manually?

I now have Spyder2 Pro installed... and the shortcut is pointing to:

"C:\Program Files\ColorVision\Utility"

The image says that the Spyder didn't work... Maybe you have a faulty Spyder. Whether there is the Spyder startup in the startup folder or not, the calibration would still be ok, without error message. The startup shortcut just loads the calibrated profile at startup, so that all programs will use the same profile if you default them.
    Last edited by nottipiglet; 14th January 2007 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    The image says that the Spyder didn't work... Maybe you have a faulty Spyder.
    But the Colorvision can detect the spyder serial number. Is it really faulty? My calibrated profile is in C:\Windows\system32\Spool\DRIVERS\COLOR\Sypder2exp ress/icm but WHY WHY WHY is not autoloading...this is fustrating...waste my whole weekend doing this

But the Colorvision can detect the spyder serial number. Is it really faulty?
    This is a common problem among Colorvision products. Go back to the store and exchange a new unit.

But the Colorvision can detect the spyder serial number. Is it really faulty? My calibrated profile is in C:\Windows\system32\Spool\DRIVERS\COLOR\Sypder2exp ress/icm but WHY WHY WHY is not autoloading...this is fustrating...waste my whole weekend doing this
    If there's an error when it takes the reading, then it should be faulty. Yes, it's frustrating... but it's part and parcel of playing with these gadgets. Just be thankful that it's not your HDD that's conking.

If there's an error when it takes the reading, then it should be faulty. Yes, it's frustrating... but it's part and parcel of playing with these gadgets. Just be thankful that it's not your HDD that's conking.
    It only error when I plug in the spyder, during calibrating no problem.

any kind soul can let me go his place to compare my LCD color with your calibrated display ?

any kind soul can let me go his place to compare my LCD color with your calibrated display ?
    Whaa!!!! You can remember the color hue you see?

After more than 25 years in photography, I often forget the color of a product I have shot, or the name of a model that I used. Therefore, I doubt you can remember the color hues you have seen because your eyes will gradually adjust to the assumption of white lights.
    Last edited by photobum; 15th January 2007 at 08:24 AM.

What i mean is i bring my laptop over and compare with yrs ....................................... compare same picture on my screen and on yr screen..............

What i mean is i bring my laptop over and compare with yrs ....................................... compare same picture on my screen and on yr screen..............
    No need so troublesome. Just compare the image you see on screen with the printed picture you get from a reputable photo lab. It's not completely the same, but it should not be too far off.

I find that my pictures on screen tend to be a little more saturated... but the temperature is about the same.

Oh... and you need to look at your hard-copy picture in good daylight.
    Last edited by nottipiglet; 16th January 2007 at 12:06 AM.

I deleted my the adobe gamme, reinstall color vision and recalibrated. The startup folder is still empty...

and i alwiz have this problem. same on my gf laptop. although it has error but it still can calibrate just that it dun auto load my calibrated profile. I even copied the ColorVisionStartup file into the startup folder and still dosent work.

I have the same error message as yours, with two computers, one laptop, one desktop, Win XP+SP2.

I went back to the dealer to test. They don't have such problem when using my Spyder on their Mac. I still had this error message even using their Spyder.

The OS can detect the Spyder and the Spyder2express can also detect the Spyder (SN).

But it will show the error message when I switch between none and Sypder2 from the drop-down-list.

Anyway, calibration still can work as I can see the difference when the software compares the calibrated and un-calibrated screen as last. But I don't know if it works properly as the screen looks a lot warmer.

It also wasted me a whole Saturday evening to troubleshoot this and is still not solved.

Hi, iboey, maybe you can try the following method.

I've just received the email reply from ColorVision of Switzerland as I posted my problem to them on Sunday.

-----------------------------
    Original words:
    Please download the version 2.3.4 from our download zone and install it with the same serial for Spyder2express.
    First please deinstall the version you have now and be sure that driver and all folders have been removed.

-----------------------------

I downloaded from http://support.colorvision.ch/index.php
    Just tried it out. This solution does work!

But my laptop still looks quite warmer. Maybe it is too old (3 yrs old).

I'm glad you managed to find out the true reason for the error message. Colorvision should have made it known on their website instead of making consumers run around to find out.

If your laptop looks warmer, maybe because it is supposed to be warmer? Spyder2Express 2.3 and above will set the target temperature to be 6500K. I have 2 monitors. When I measured the Philips monitor (which is fairly new) uncalibrated and in its factory setting, the temperature was 5500K. So, it was working at a lower colour temperature before calibration. Naturally, at 6500K, it will appear warmer. But to me, the warmer temperature looks correct. It looks very much like the photos I get back from the Photo Labs.

I mentioned that my monitor appears too saturated compared with the printed photos (from PhotoHub). I think this is because I set the target gamma to be 2.2. PhotoHub probably uses a gamma of 1.8 as most of these professional printers do. I will try to create another profile at gamma 1.8 to see if it is better.

...When I measured the Philips monitor (which is fairly new) uncalibrated and in its factory setting, the temperature was 5500K. So, it was working at a lower colour temperature before calibration. Naturally, at 6500K, it will appear warmer...
    If 5500K is lower (warmer towards red) colour temperature, isnt 6500K cooler (higher towards blue) instead of warmer? I think warmer means lower values and cooler means higher values. This can be confusing to some. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Maybe I have to adapt to the new color for some time.
    Or old LCD won't give the good display even calibrated.

Anyhow, I see the difference. And color calibrating is necessary these days.

Quote Originally Posted by YogiBear View Post
    If 5500K is lower (warmer towards red) colour temperature, isnt 6500K cooler (higher towards blue) instead of warmer? I think warmer means lower values and cooler means higher values. This can be confusing to some. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    You are right. I got it the other way round. Got confused by the temperature slider used with RAW processing.... where lower number means that the picture is too warm, so the software makes it cooler... (which does not mean that lower number means cooler)

So, my monitor was in fact warmer, but my Spyder made it cooler.
    But the final result was ok.
    Last edited by nottipiglet; 16th January 2007 at 02:43 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12