Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 136

Thread: Ring flash

  1. #41

    Default Re: Ring flash

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    i wonder which is cheaper.this....



    or the bowens.
    That R1 setup probably cost around $3k.

    BC

  2. #42

    Default Re: Ring flash

    Quote Originally Posted by dDarkroom View Post
    Get the Alien Bee Ring Flash.

    http://www.alienbees.com/abr800.html

    If you order it I would like to tonbang.
    No TTL..

  3. #43

    Default Re: Ring flash

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    google is your friend

    http://www.nikon.com.sg/productitem....=44-e461e82e77



    but no ttl, set to M if just for the catchlights
    if you want ttl there is a sigma ring flash that will work.

    No iTTL.

  4. #44

    Default Re: Ring flash

    Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    Now... this one looks interesting... my only concern is the replacement flash tubes.

    You'd also need a 120 to 240V transformer.

    BC
    transformer easy to get.
    prob is they ran out of stock.

  5. #45

    Default Re: Ring flash

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    No iTTL.
    bowens one got ttl?

  6. #46

    Default Re: Ring flash

    iTTl & TTL ???? some photographers don't even use light meter alredi.
    Last edited by dDarkroom; 5th January 2007 at 01:43 PM.

  7. #47

    Default Re: Ring flash

    Quote Originally Posted by dDarkroom View Post
    iTTl & TTL ???? some photographers don't even use light meter alredi.
    ittl nikon have mah.

  8. #48

    Default Re: Ring flash

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    ittl nikon have mah.
    btw TTI or iTTL are not accurate also. LCD at the back of the cam and histogram can give a better akaration.

  9. #49

    Default Re: Ring flash

    Quote Originally Posted by dDarkroom View Post
    iTTl & TTL ???? some photographers don't even use light meter alredi.
    Digital still ok lah, can trial-and-error... try shooting film w/o light meter...

    BC

  10. #50

    Default Re: Ring flash

    Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    Digital still ok lah, can trial-and-error... try shooting film w/o light meter...

    BC
    after some practise you will know the setting. like my table tent setting for 4 yrs same setting for shooting flowers.

    some photographers in cs claimed that they don't depend on the cam meter system. by looking out the window now I guesstimate iso 400 f8 125s is the right setting.

  11. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Ring flash

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    bowens one got ttl?
    Most if not all pro lightings do not have TTL, iTTL, etc. it's fully manual
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  12. #52
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Ring flash

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    No iTTL.
    according to their website, the sigma one have iTTL

    http://www.sigmaphoto.com/flashes/fl...ls.asp?id=3258

  13. #53

    Default Re: Ring flash

    Quote Originally Posted by dDarkroom View Post
    after some practise you will know the setting. like my table tent setting for 4 yrs same setting for shooting flowers.

    some photographers in cs claimed that they don't depend on the cam meter system. by looking out the window now I guesstimate iso 400 f8 125s is the right setting.



    I just look through the manual of the AlienBees ring flash... looks tempting...


    BC

  14. #54

    Default Re: Ring flash

    Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post



    I just look through the manual of the AlienBees ring flash... looks tempting...


    BC
    hope TS will order one and let us try.

  15. #55

    Default Re: Ring flash

    Quote Originally Posted by ellery View Post
    ok its been a slow day at work = who would rent this at how much and what kinda of deposit ? Last I heard commercial studios who have these may rent but only to people they know will not screw it up. Definitely not to some hobbiest who thinks u can motor drive shoot with a studio flash because some "documentary" showed some person doing it. Heard this gem for some one who instructs studio lighting.
    I know someone who might be willing to rent an Elinchrome one out...of course, if you spoil it you pay for replacement, as per normal...

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    ring flash is used in fashion photography mainly to create those shadowless portraits, and nice roundflash catchlights in the eyes.
    you don't get shadow on the subject but actually it creates a uniform shadow around the subject if the ring flash is the only/main lightsource and the background is close to the subject...because the light is all from one source around the lens, the shadow it casts on the background is all around...sorta like a halo of black...to not have this halo, you would have to have other lightsources lighting the background...

  16. #56
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Ring flash

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    bowens one got ttl?
    you can use a flash meter, take a reading, either adjust your camera setting or the flash output.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  17. #57

    Default Re: Ring flash

    Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    I ...
    you don't get shadow on the subject but actually it creates a uniform shadow around the subject if the ring flash is the only/main lightsource and the background is close to the subject...because the light is all from one source around the lens, the shadow it casts on the background is all around...sorta like a halo of black...to not have this halo, you would have to have other lightsources lighting the background...
    Yes, ring flash will cast a shadow of your subject. But, due to the positioning of the ring flash just outside the lens, the shadow are usually hidden behind the subject from the lens perspective. Therefore, you usually do not see any shadows in pictures illuminated with just the ring flash.

    BC

  18. #58
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Ring flash

    Quote Originally Posted by Xeonic View Post
    Err.. That is very chiam leh.. anyone can convert it to simple english???

    Am very interested to understand what a ring flash can be used for.
    that's he writing style, you have to read the whole sentence with one breath, let me see what can I do for you....

    Quote Originally Posted by ellery View Post
    In classical portraiture work a ring flash is seldom used.

    In the so call ad vangarde or fashion or music artist work, this is a gimick used to try to pump some life into medicore work by too many wanna to bes,

    however in the hands one some one who can make people pop, swing, sing and dance with any other lighting this comes as another way of adding an extra dimension.

    Too many clients especially in the music industry see this and think hey the picture rocks but if you seen the effect, and look past it to what the content is -

    some times its still the same sad unexciting half past six work because some photogs are big on concepts but not so big on ability to produce good basic pictures.

    So what you end up seeing is at best something with potential but missing some bits to make it shine.

    There is an el cheapo way - think of the round flouresence lights, the color casts adds an additional sense of unreal but you still need to do everything else to make the picture work.

    In case you need the brand more than anything else then you need to spend money to look good.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  19. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Ring flash

    Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    you don't get shadow on the subject but actually it creates a uniform shadow around the subject if the ring flash is the only/main lightsource and the background is close to the subject...because the light is all from one source around the lens, the shadow it casts on the background is all around...sorta like a halo of black...to not have this halo, you would have to have other lightsources lighting the background...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    Yes, ring flash will cast a shadow of your subject. But, due to the positioning of the ring flash just outside the lens, the shadow are usually hidden behind the subject from the lens perspective. Therefore, you usually do not see any shadows in pictures illuminated with just the ring flash.

    BC
    2 diff views but I tent to agreed with theRBK on this.

    I've used the Bowen flash before many years back and it is as what theRBK have stated, subject close to b/g, the ring flash will cast a even/halo shadow around the subject. Depanding on how far the subject is from the b/g, the halo shadow will be either bigger or smaller but even when the subkect is resting on the b/g, there is still a halo shadow. The way to "remove the halo shadow is to place the subject away from the b/g and either light up the b/g or to keep the b/g darker than the halo shadow so that it blands into the b/g. We were using a Bowen ringlight with a defuser so the shadow was a soft halo shadow.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  20. #60

    Default Re: Ring flash

    Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    2 diff views but I tent to agreed with theRBK on this.

    I've used the Bowen flash before many years back and it is as what theRBK have stated, subject close to b/g, the ring flash will cast a even/halo shadow around the subject. Depanding on how far the subject is from the b/g, the halo shadow will be either bigger or smaller but even when the subkect is resting on the b/g, there is still a halo shadow. The way to "remove the halo shadow is to place the subject away from the b/g and either light up the b/g or to keep the b/g darker than the halo shadow so that it blands into the b/g. We were using a Bowen ringlight with a defuser so the shadow was a soft halo shadow.
    actually, for studio shoot, even not using ringflash, but normal studio strobes,subject is suppose to stand further from backdrop aint it?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •