Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: lighting ratios (outdoors)

Default Re: lighting ratios (outdoors)

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    if its a harsh day...and you get exposure readings like 1/500@f8, 3 stop under will be 1/500@f22!!!

you can set 1/2000at f11 w strobe but you nee one that can fast sync w you can...e.g sb800 for nikon....set manually at fast sync. thats the only way i guess...can use GND unless your subj is level on one side....defintely not if assuming your subj means ppl
    dun quite understand the underlined sentence.can elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    ok, let me try this:

meter ambient.
    assuming it's 1/250 at f8
    i set a 3 stop underexp
    so i set to 1/2000 at f8
    i have to set my d200 to allow flash FP enabled.
    then on flash, set to TTL
    fire away.
    correct?

other than TTL to set on flash, any other things i must input?
    and does FP works on Manual and aperture priority in my d200?
    Yep. No other things you need to input into the flash, FP mode works in M and A mode.
    Another option I forgot to mention is instead of upping your shutter speed you can use an ND filter if your camera/flash doesn't support FP mode and you need to go above your x-sync speed.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    logically wise it will work, but i haven test it (using d50, doesn't have FEL )
    i think yours is the 'fastest' method given the scenario.

nvrtheless, i will try all the methods listed here.

well, you nv mention what kind of shoot, so i said GND which is used mainly for landscape purpose. but since you are talking about portrait now, guess you can forget about this.

edit: erm wait, guess something wrong with my previous method. you will have to increase the flash exposure by 3stop before FEL.
    Last edited by ExplorerZ; 4th January 2007 at 10:54 AM.

If you are using flash... you play around with the exposure compensation and flash exposure compensation.

For me I usually use +1 to +2 EV for exposure compensation and -1 to -2 for flash exposure compensation. Play around with the 2 parameter according to the ambient lighting to get a more natural exposure.

The alternative is go fully manual.

BC

Doing a flash exposure lock at the ambient meter setting and then adjusting the exposure down 3 stops will not work - it will underexpose the subject as your flash is firing at a power where the ambient light has lit your subject mostly. You need your flash to fire correctly at the final camera exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by gooseberry View Post
    Doing a flash exposure lock at the ambient meter setting and then adjusting the exposure down 3 stops will not work - it will underexpose the subject as your flash is firing at a power where the ambient light has lit your subject mostly. You need your flash to fire correctly at the final camera exposure.
    yup, i forgotten to mention one step which i have just added in my prev post

so it will be +3FV, FEL and then stop down

Best is if you can have external strobe. Then set faster shutter speed to darken background.

well, you nv mention what kind of shoot, so i said GND which is used mainly for landscape purpose. but since you are talking about portrait now, guess you can forget about this.

edit: erm wait, guess something wrong with my previous method. you will have to increase the flash exposure by 3stop before FEL.
    how come?
    if i up 3 stops on flash, then i down 3 stops on ambient,
    in total there will be a 6 stop difference.
    no?

how come?
    if i up 3 stops on flash, then i down 3 stops on ambient,
    in total there will be a 6 stop difference.
    no?
    +3 for flash is to compensation the -3 camera meter exposure.

aiyo!
    now i beginning to blur liao...

ok will try.

btw goose, if i use FP flash on sb800, i remember reading that the flash distance will significantly reduced.

aiyo!
    now i beginning to blur liao...

ok will try.

btw goose, if i use FP flash on sb800, i remember reading that the flash distance will significantly reduced.
    well, to be exact, the +3 compensation of flash is to balance off the -3 ambient exposure, so that your flash will fire enough power when you go from f8>22 (you will need 3 stop more of flash power to get correct exposure on subject)

I thought it should be the other way around. Light that your subject will be bright and your ambient dim.

BC

Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    I thought it should be the other way around. Light that your subject will be bright and your ambient dim.

BC
    think he is answering wrt to my thread requirements cos i stated i wanted a 3 stop underexp for ambient to subject.

if the other way round, then i would use balance matrix fill flash.
    no?

BC
    i tot thats why she trying to achieve? overrall balance exposure even if the background is 3stop brighter?

maybe i should state the whole thing again.
    +3 flash, meter on the subject, FEL, -3 exposure (f8 > 22), fire. and maybe a little of fine tune.

think he is answering wrt to my thread requirements cos i stated i wanted a 3 stop underexp for ambient to subject.

if the other way round, then i would use balance matrix fill flash.
    no?
    Ok ok... now I see why...

So you problem is that you have a extremely bring background and you try to fill you subject using a flash.

When you use a fill flash, the flash will usually just illuminate the subject and not the background. The balance fill-in programme in your SB-800 will normal do the job very well in the TTL/BL mode.

It is very unlikely that you use the flash and still have the background +3EV overexposed unless you have having a extremely bright background and a super weak flash. (For theoretical discussion, ExplorerZ is right, but practically that should not happen.)

When flash is used, the tendancy is that you have a very bright subject and a dim background which looks unnatural. You will normally need to do some exposure compensation to get the balance between the subject and background. Usually you do a +ve exposure compensation and a -ve flash exposure compensation.

I have yet to encounter a situation when I use flash and I do exposure compensation the other way around.

BC

Ok ok... now I see why...

So you problem is that you have a extremely bring background and you try to fill you subject using a flash.

When you use a fill flash, the flash will usually just illuminate the subject and not the background. The balance fill-in programme in your SB-800 will normal do the job very well in the TTL/BL mode.

It is very unlikely that you use the flash and still have the background +3EV overexposed unless you have having a extremely bright background and a super weak flash. (For theoretical discussion, ExplorerZ is right, but practically that should not happen.)

When flash is used, the tendancy is that you have a very bright subject and a dim background which looks unnatural. You will normally need to do some exposure compensation to get the balance between the subject and background. Usually you do a +ve exposure compensation and a -ve flash exposure compensation.

I have yet to encounter a situation when I use flash and I do exposure compensation the other way around.

BC
    I guess she is shooting someone against bright sky which most of the time are completely blown.

GND can only be used to balance exposure of landscape of foreground/background adn the grad cut off at the horizon.

if you wanna underexpose ambient. meter for ambient at -3 stops, go for shutter priority at 1/250( D200 case) adn use flash to illuminate the subject.

but chances is the f stop w be near f22 n flash will have to fire real hard to get decent light.

the other way is to shoot at like 6 plus...light not so harsh and easily to obtain flash sync.

maybe you can explain wat you are trying to do...why wanna underespore background 3 stops...like a lot le

if you guys can, take a good read at this book by daniel lezano and bjorn thomassen

100 WAYS TO TAKE BETTER PORTRAIT PHOTOGRAPHS

on page 58, he mentioned a technique call keyshifting

he only mentioned a 3 stop compensation for background vs subject.but to a noob like me, i'm juggling in my mind how and WHAT to set on my flash and camera.

man...i'm almost done reading all the photography books bought from kinokuniya.

As mentioned earlier, simple and easy way to achieve it is

Set your flash to standard TTL.
    If you are in A mode on your camera, dial in -3eV exposure compensation on the camera (this will increase your shutter speed - you may need to go into FP mode if the shutter speed goes above your x-sync speed). If you are in M mode, adjust your aperture/shutter speed so that the background will be underexposed by 3eV.
    Take the shot.

Yes, the main disadvantage of FP mode is the flash power is reduced to approx. 1/8 power.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast