Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Gray Cards

  1. #1

    Default Gray Cards

    Hello all,

    May i know where can i find Gray Cards(KODAK ones)? Recently I went to CP, the person told me that it wont be coming for some time as it's not widely used today compared to the film days. However, I would like to try it out. =)

    I believe it can be used for presetting whitebalance as well (if you turn it over to the white surface).

    Thanks in advance!

    Oh ya...Happy new year!
    Last edited by duckalas; 4th January 2007 at 01:46 AM. Reason: typo

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: Gray Cards

    DIY by going to the art shop to buy those white thick vanguard/plastic sheet, cut to the size you want. Can also use a bounce for your flash too. I did.

    You can just get white colour though.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Central West
    Posts
    1,952

    Default Re: Gray Cards

    Be careful with white paper, as the white is not necessarily white. A proper grey card is guaranteed to be neutral. If you are bothering to take a WB measurement, then you would want it to be as accurate as possible.

  4. #4
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Gray Cards

    Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    DIY by going to the art shop to buy those white thick vanguard/plastic sheet, cut to the size you want. Can also use a bounce for your flash too. I did.

    You can just get white colour though.
    TS is looking for gray card, (18% gray card by Kodak) not bounce card
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  5. #5

    Default Re: Gray Cards

    Quote Originally Posted by duckalas View Post
    Hello all,

    May i know where can i find Gray Cards(KODAK ones)? Recently I went to CP, the person told me that it wont be coming for some time as it's not widely used today compared to the film days. However, I would like to try it out. =)

    I believe it can be used for presetting whitebalance as well (if you turn it over to the white surface).

    Thanks in advance!

    Oh ya...Happy new year!
    the Kodak greycard is an exposure card not a white balance card! so no use of buying for if you are interested in white balance.
    While it is possible to get the white balance from a white surface it is not recommended since you operate the sensor at the top of the range of it sensitivity.... you run a risk that you blow highlights, ie overread and hence do not get a reliable reading.
    better is to have a light grey surface. its important the the grey is really grey without any colour cast, otherwise you screw your white balance....
    Never forget rule 5
    My Flickr

  6. #6
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Gray Cards

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    the Kodak greycard is an exposure card not a white balance card! so no use of buying for if you are interested in white balance.
    While it is possible to get the white balance from a white surface it is not recommended since you operate the sensor at the top of the range of it sensitivity.... you run a risk that you blow highlights, ie overread and hence do not get a reliable reading.
    better is to have a light grey surface. its important the the grey is really grey without any colour cast, otherwise you screw your white balance....
    Kodak greycard is usable to do white balance setting, since it is neutral.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  7. #7

    Default Re: Gray Cards

    hm yea i want to use it for whitebalance under different lightings... but i'm unsure of where to get it...

    I find that white sheet of paper is not so accurate as it's slightly towards the blue side? the picture i took after presetting it to the white paper became warm..haha

    yea i wanna try out grey cards..and am curious abt it..thanks for the replies..

    i just want to know which shop still sells it...last i heard CP had it but it's not available anymore

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •