Thread: Anybody watching the 3 Jan 2007 10.30pm Channel 8 Career Program?

Default Anybody watching the 3 Jan 2007 10.30pm Channel 8 Career Program?

Hmmm... i am wondering is the photographer featured on channel 8 tonight is one of the CSer here? His name is Wei Ren.

The program features a photographer's life and career, how he change his career from engineer to a photographer.

Good program and thanks for sharing, Wei Ren.

Default Re: Anybody watching the 3 Jan 2007 10.30pm Channel 8 Career Program?

I didn't watch. My impression of these people are that they used to earn a lot of money so they can have the "luxury" to pursue their dreams... I mean that's my impression lah... I could be wrong.

So did they say how much they were earning then and now?

I hope I am not sounding money-minded. But in a society like S'pore.... it's impt to have $$$ in the pocket. Sometimes, just have to forgo ur "dreams".
    :: Capture the moment :: :heart:

Quote Originally Posted by fotojoy View Post
    I didn't watch. My impression of these people are that they used to earn a lot of money so they can have the "luxury" to pursue their dreams... I mean that's my impression lah... I could be wrong.

I hope I am not sounding money-minded. But in a society like S'pore.... it's impt to have $$$ in the pocket. Sometimes, just have to forgo ur "dreams".
    He started of as a engineer at MNC, but the show is showing HP. haha...

He saved for 1.5 yrs then start to pursue his dream.

Also, mentioned he is not good at talking at times, kinda introvert but he overcome this and managed to meet and discuss with client in the end.

His work has been published in magazines and won some prize in US.

If I'm not wrong he's part owner of Objectifs located somewhere around Bugis.

Quote Originally Posted by Golgotha View Post
    If I'm not wrong he's part owner of Objectifs located somewhere around Bugis.
    U r right.

if like me...pursue interest first with no money...u end up nowhere. I have instances where people have no skills, no substance, yet still manage to hold exhibition after exhibition. And they treat those less fortunate like dirt. Think family rich or alot of contacts, mouth sweet..etc. They should learn to be more humble.

There are other photographers out there who don't really deserve what they have now. I have seen much more underrated photographers struggling to make a living. (no reference to anyone here or the dude who appeared on tv)

I only respect those who come up the hard way, not those who are served on a silver platter.
    Last edited by sbs99; 4th January 2007 at 09:07 AM.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    if like me...pursue interest first with no money...u end up nowhere. I have instances where people have no skills, no substance, yet still manage to hold exhibition after exhibition. And they treat those less fortunate like dirt. Think family rich or alot of contacts, mouth sweet..etc. They should learn to be more humble.

There are other photographers out there who don't really deserve what they have now. I have seen much more underrated photographers struggling to make a living. (no reference to anyone here or the dude who appeared on tv)

I only respect those who come up the hard way, not those who are served on a silver platter.
    Somehow I have the same feeling as you...

I am an engineer (haven't start practising) and doing videography.

i agree with you, hobby is hobby, dun earn much from it, but for some many be exception. and in sg, $ is almost everything, no $ no honey moreover no more photoshoots

Quote Originally Posted by sgvideoman View Post
    I am an engineer (haven't start practising) and doing videography.
    I'm an engineer for the past seven years.... sad prospect esp with so many FTs in the field.
    Maybe should try to go into photography seriously....

Quote Originally Posted by Hoky View Post
    I'm an engineer for the past seven years.... sad prospect esp with so many FTs in the field.
    Maybe should try to go into photography seriously....
    which branch of engineering?

Smile Re: Anybody watching the 3 Jan 2007 10.30pm Channel 8 Career Program?

well, his name is Richard. however, i saw rave photography in the credits.

Quote Originally Posted by yZong View Post
    Hmmm... i am wondering is the photographer featured on channel 8 tonight is one of the CSer here? His name is Wei Ren.

The program features a photographer's life and career, how he change his career from engineer to a photographer.

Good program and thanks for sharing, Wei Ren.
    he using Canon or Nikon?

I don't think that guy is doing too badly. The programme showed that his earnings vary from $0 to $?0k per month. Anyway, what's important is that he is happy doing what he is passionate about.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    he using Canon or Nikon?
    Canon lah

Hi folks, this is Richard's website:
    www.elanpictures.com

Smile Re: Anybody watching the 3 Jan 2007 10.30pm Channel 8 Career Program?

thank you for his website.

Quote Originally Posted by compro_1975 View Post
    i agree with you, hobby is hobby, dun earn much from it, but for some many be exception. and in sg, $ is almost everything, no $ no honey moreover no more photoshoots
    u r right

think hobby to money-making is more than passion for the hobby liao...need to be business-minded, communication, PR, marketing, financial knowledge, networking, attitude, responsbility, need to know a bit of the law, smart enough to handle customers and vendors, negotiation power, multi-skill besides just photography ... ...