Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some US advice needed.

Default Re: Some US advice needed.

Great! You visiting NYC! Awesome place to be in. I use to live & work there for a couple of years. You can try visit the NYC Visitors' Center in Times Square. You can check out some information there on where to go. It is better to use the subway in nyc itself. Get the day pass or week pass (mrt ticket) 1 price, unlimited rides for 1 day or 1 week. Make sure you are dress appropriately, it can get very cold. The coldest season during winter is between Jan to Feb.

Avoid carry too much gear that make you look like a delicious target to rob or con. (eg. tripod, camera bag that looks like you've lotsa expensive gear in it.) Never leave your belongings unattended, or on the floor while sitting in mac donalds. My colleague got his briefcase stolen within 15 mins after we sat down...4 pairs of eyes..yet its gone.

Haha enjoy yourself there & have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by gundugundu View Post
    Great! You visiting NYC! Awesome place to be in. I use to live & work there for a couple of years. You can try visit the NYC Visitors' Center in Times Square. You can check out some information there on where to go. It is better to use the subway in nyc itself. Get the day pass or week pass (mrt ticket) 1 price, unlimited rides for 1 day or 1 week. Make sure you are dress appropriately, it can get very cold. The coldest season during winter is between Jan to Feb.

Avoid carry too much gear that make you look like a delicious target to rob or con. (eg. tripod, camera bag that looks like you've lotsa expensive gear in it.) Never leave your belongings unattended, or on the floor while sitting in mac donalds. My colleague got his briefcase stolen within 15 mins after we sat down...4 pairs of eyes..yet its gone.

woah.... that's something i would be alert about.

want to ask something: regarding the subway, is it as straightforward as singapore's mrt system? like to go from bishan to expo, i just spot those interchange and when i come out, they will be clear signs showing which train goes where?

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post

want to ask something: regarding the subway, is it as straightforward as singapore's mrt system? like to go from bishan to expo, i just spot those interchange and when i come out, they will be clear signs showing which train goes where?
    It is straight forward. You just need to focus on where you are & where you want to go. Do not be intimidated by the subway map itself... it may look complicated but it is ok. The main interchaning station is 42 st Times Sq. You can easily change to other lines to go elsewhere. Please take note not to confuse it with 42 st Grand Central station. If not sure just ask the transit worker behind the ticketing counter. You need to get a small street map of manhatten. It will help you get around easily (You can get one in sg borders i think). The link to the subway map is here:
    SUBWAY MAP

Places of interest you can consider going:
    1) World trade center ground zero
    2) Empire State Building
    3) SOHO
    4) Times Square
    5) 34th St Macy's departmental store (very near empire state)
    6) Metropolitan Museum
    7) Central Park (go only during daytime please, its a different crowd at night)
    8) Rockerfella Center (you can see people ice skating there during winter)
    9) 5th Ave (there's a very nice church building opposite Rockerfella)
    10) Liberty Island, go see statue of Liberty. Get some nice shots & maybe you sell it as stockpictures
    11) Chinatown, little italy
    12) MOMA (Museum of Morden Art)
    13) Guggenheim museum
    14) Do this only if you are really naughty :P Visit the mama shop in 42st times sq station & take his picture lolz! You'll know what I mean when you see & read the caption of the last picture of my nyc revisited gallery.

It is straight forward. You just need to focus on where you are & where you want to go. Do not be intimidated by the subway map itself... it may look complicated but it is ok. The main interchaning station is 42 st Times Sq. You can easily change to other lines to go elsewhere. Please take note not to confuse it with 42 st Grand Central station. If not sure just ask the transit worker behind the ticketing counter. You need to get a small street map of manhatten. It will help you get around easily (You can get one in sg borders i think). The link to the subway map is here:
    SUBWAY MAP

Places of interest you can consider going:
    1) World trade center ground zero
    2) Empire State Building
    3) SOHO
    4) Times Square
    5) 34th St Macy's departmental store (very near empire state)
    6) Metropolitan Museum
    7) Central Park (go only during daytime please, its a different crowd at night)
    8) Rockerfella Center (you can see people ice skating there during winter)
    9) 5th Ave (there's a very nice church building opposite Rockerfella)
    10) Liberty Island, go see statue of Liberty. Get some nice shots & maybe you sell it as stockpictures
    11) Chinatown, little italy
    12) MOMA (Museum of Morden Art)
    13) Guggenheim museum
    14) Do this only if you are really naughty :P Visit the mama shop in 42st times sq station & take his picture lolz! You'll know what I mean when you see & read the caption of the last picture of my nyc revisited gallery.
    hey! thanks a lot! the map is very nice and clear.

one more question: i will be going to new jersey-princeton university to meet my senior. how should i go there? is there like a NY version of grassland express?

On Transportation

No, the NYC subway is not as straight forward. For some stations (e.g. Cathedral Parkway at 110th) you can't even cross to another platform if you enter through the wrong gate (e.g. entering through downtown gate when you are heading uptown). The signs are also not clear as clear and well placed as those in S'pore: you must read and cross-check carefully. Get yourself the free MTA subway and bus maps: you will need them to get around, as changing trains can be confusing without the maps.

Buses are fine too, but they actually take longer to go around town. I take them often, especially these few weeks when the subway keeps having service suspension (e.g. when some one gets under the train). They cost the same as the subway: $2 flat rate.

These few weeks we are having freak weather more akin to those of spring / autumn: today people were wearing t-shirts and shorts. This is January, and it usually should be snowing. I don't know how long it will last but in this freak weather, its actually pretty easy to walk around Manhattan: one can easily walk from 34th street (where Macy's is) to 42nd (where Times Sq is) to 50th (where Rockefeller is) and then onto Central Park south.

As for airport transport, you can always land and then go to ground transportation service counter (all major airports like JFK or Newark have them) to get a booking for shuttle bus/van. They cost around $15-19 (+ gratuity) to get into Manhattan, and there are many reliable providers, e.g.Super Shuttle (can go online and pre-book as well). The downside is you must wait and share the van with others. Taxi fare from JFK to Manhattan should be $45 flat rate, and around $60 flat from Newark: at the taxi queue you get a ticket for the flat-rate taxis (yellow cabs). There are livery cabs (black cars/limousines) that are cheaper but are risky - some are illegal or unlicensed.

Drop me a PM if you need more info.
    Last edited by obrag; 7th January 2007 at 10:56 PM.

hey! thanks a lot! the map is very nice and clear.

one more question: i will be going to new jersey-princeton university to meet my senior. how should i go there? is there like a NY version of grassland express?
    See this page for info:
    http://web.princeton.edu/sites/visa/guideV.htm

one more question: what is the electrical plug mount in US? same as sg?

one more question: what is the electrical plug mount in US? same as sg?
    No, not the same. Its 2 flat pins (in vertical parallel position), sometimes with one additional 3rd round earthing pin. The voltage is different too (110V), so your equipment's power supply / charger must be auto-switching between 110-240v: most digicam's and laptop's are.

haha. you are right

ok. thanks for everybody's help. my plane ticket as just been confirmed. would be leaving this thursday.

just a short question to ask contaxable: so far from what i heard, many say that the cab fare in NYC is horrendously high as compared to singapore. how high is high? cos my father once had a taxi trip costing USD100 and he was shocked. but i did not really know how long his taxi trip was.

Hi Satay16,

Sorry for the lapse in reply. I believe some members had replied you one way or another.

For Taxi fare, if not wrong, its currently $2.50 upon boarding and 40c per click. Yes, its very costly and the meter clicks very fast, but you have to factor that in as the cost of your trip. Easily, set aside USD300 just for cab fare to be safe and that should exclude the ride to and from the airport. Also, remember to tip cabby as well. Just $2 to $5 should be fine. But your experience with cab in NY is a complete different experience as they have bullet proof shield between the front and rear seats and you cant seat next to the driver. Payment is via a little drawer behind driver's seat. that was the last time i saw it, but its been a while i been to NY.

I do not live there and so I am not able to advise on how to commute using public transport. I usually rent a car from the airport if I go by plane or drive around using a rented car from another state. But parking is a dam hassle thats one reason why I do not encourage friends to drive in NY if they have a choice.

Chinatown is also a great place to go to and you will feel at ease once you hit that place. Somehow, I feel very safe in Chinatown as I belong to the same skin color as most people in chinatown.

Well, by now you should have circled some places to visit on the map. Plan and enjoy. Just remember to invite your friend (and friend's friends) along whenever possible as it is quite boring to be there alone. Well unless you are there on business as well.

Oh, and one unique thing about new york is you will see steam rising up from the round metal covers (dunno what they are called) and the smoke is especially thick during winter. You can have very nice pix of such scenes during sunset on a busy commercial district.

What else.... well go explore and find out.

Cheers and have a safe trip!

Hi satay16,

gundugundu's advice here is really good.

Blend into the crowd, and don't make yourself a mark by carrying valuables around. Be aware of your surroundings, as in any city. Stick to places where there are people, especially at night. Don't get too paranoid though, NYC is rather safe, compared to some European cities.

Travelling light also makes sense as you'll be doing LOTS of walking in NYC.

Don't forget to check out the musicals in Broadway, if you like that sort of thing, that is.

Have a good trip!

Bernard

thanks for all the tips

leaving in 2 more days,

and dang, i bought a compudaypack bag, but i just found out it can't fit a 70-200. ahhhh..... btw, who interested in the bag? will be selling it when i come back from my trip.

Hi guys.

8 more hours to my flight. thanks for the info contributed. hopefully there's internet there. brought my lappie along.

Last minute advice....

Don't bring your tripod up the empire state building and also don't forget to visit B&H.

Last minute advice....

Don't bring your tripod up the empire state building and also don't forget to visit B&H.

Those are the two must do sort of things when you're in NYC.

Have a good trip bro Satay
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12