Thread: WorkFlow problem

Default WorkFlow problem

Hi CSers,
    I alwiz use CS2 to convert my RAW files to TIF but there are instances I want to compress the TIF to JPG for some purposes but CS2 dun allow me to. The only way i can do tat is to Convert Raw to JPG den to TIF (in tif to do adjustments) den back to JPG again to email or watever. Do you guys face the problem from RAW to TIF but cant convert to JPG later on ?
    Last edited by iboey; 3rd January 2007 at 09:52 PM.

Default Re: WorkFlow problem

IIRC, check if your TIFF file created from your RAW file is the 48-bit format or version. If so, you must change it to the 24-bit version because JPEG file is a 24-bit format. That is probable the reason why you can covert RAW to JPEG directly but no RAW to JPEG via TIFF.

dunno it seem like no problem with my cs2

I think Squid's got the ans
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

actually i have almost the same problem. when i open a file in camera raw, then open it subsequently in photoshop/or save it to tiff (setting at 16bit) i can't save it in JPEG unless i bump it down to 8 bit. a bit strange cos i thought JPEGs could support at least 16-24bit.

but i usually get around it by storing more tiffs for important files. disk space is cheap nowadays

not really strange

when they say 24bit for jpg, they mean 8bit+8bit+8bit (3 colour channels in RGB)...
    that's also why there's 48bit mentioned above, which is actually 16bit+16bit+16bit...

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    not really strange

when they say 24bit for jpg, they mean 8bit+8bit+8bit (3 colour channels in RGB)...
    that's also why there's 48bit mentioned above, which is actually 16bit+16bit+16bit...
    oh ok! thanks bro now i get it =)

I get it! thanks alot...the 8 bit and 16 bit really kills me at first so does 16 bit and 8 bit really matter alot ?

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    not really strange

thanks! i think stick to 8bit is more than enough. izzit? if for pro user need to print for poster size image then use 16bit(adobe RGB) lor. correct?

Quote Originally Posted by iboey View Post
    I get it! thanks alot...the 8 bit and 16 bit really kills me at first so does 16 bit and 8 bit really matter alot ?
    Refer to these threads. 48 bits (= 3 x 16 bits) TIFF allows wider tonal range in an image.

http://www.picturecode.com/forum/vie...e5b2d81ae197c8
    http://www.digital-fotofusion.co.uk/...les_and_2.html
    http://www.normankoren.com/digital_tonality.html

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    cool! thanks man! look like i'm the one who need to know the answer more than iboey

wow! 8 megapixel image will be about 48MB ler... look like i still stick with 24bit/x3 8bitchannel
    but doesnt mean that i'm not going to try on 16bit.

wow! 8 megapixel image will be about 48MB tiff file ler... look like i still stick with 24bit/x3 8bitchannel
    but doesnt mean that i'm not going to try on 16bit.

Work in native 8-bits all the way. Don't worry about the range. Worry about getting good shots in the first place instead.

Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

printors have difficulty printing 8bit sRGB at the moment...no point giving 16bit even for pro printors...