Thread: Question: How do u adjust after metering?

Where mutant dugongs vormit

Question Question: How do u adjust after metering?

Sometimes I become confused all over again when I start pondering about the technicalities.

Let's say we want to shoot sunrise/sunset. So we meter the shot depending on wat we want to achieve, underexpose for silouettes etc. Now if it's a landscape shot, do I set the aperture to a small one (say F/22 or F/16) because I want a far DOF, then adjust the shutter speed accordingly to over/underexpose?

Or wat other factors influence my choice of aperture sizes?

I know it's more then a matter of choosing small apertures for far DOF and large apertures for shallow DOF. Or is it that simplistic? Just choose wat aperture u want then change shutter.

If not, how do u master the technique? Of choosing apertures and shutter speed?
    Last edited by lyrrad; 15th February 2003 at 01:29 AM.

Generally a lens performs well at around f/8, so for landscapes, what I do is to set the camera on the tripod, stop the lens down to f/8, use the DOF markers on the lens as a guide for the DOF I want to achieve and then use the required shutter speed for the appropriate exposure. This method of exposure is also known as aperture-priority. I shoot mostly this way instead of shuttle-priority, which is to set the shuttle speed first and then use the aperture to achieve appropriate exposure.

I do not think there's an absolute correct way of shooting that will cover all types of situations so one really has to use different methods for various scenes.

If you intend to take a lot of landscape pictures, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of getting a good tripod and head. A lot of compromises may be made but getting a good set of support is, IMHO, essential. With good supports, you may also move up to medium format too

In the Shepherd's hands

depends if there is a limiting factor, such as the minimum or max. DOF you need, or the min. or max. shutter speed you want...

For example, if taking a waterfall, you not only need to decide how much DOF you want, but how you want the water to look. E.g. if it's really sunny, and you want the water to look real smooth, then you set your smallest aperture to get the longest shutter speed...