Thread: Seeking help on 'lost' folder of pictures

Default Seeking help on 'lost' folder of pictures

Dear all,

I store away my pictures in a folder titled 'photography' in an external hard disk (G Drive ). Many pictures taken over the past few years are stored within. Just yesterday as i was trying to do some housekeeping on my desktop, I realised that the 'photography' folder in G drive is missing.

There is no significant change is disk capacity occupied (about 20 gigs worth of pictures at least), hence it could not have been deleted. I tried the search function but could not locate the said folder. I also tried to enable the 'view hidden files and folders' but to no avail.

I went on to download a file recovery software to see if it could be of anyhelp. I used PC Inspector File Recovery.

It proved useful as I managed to find the missing pictures and folders within. However, I have to resave them, hence taking up even more space. Some jpegs are corrupted as I can no longer view them despite no change in file size.

Is there any other way I can restore the folder as it was, without resorting to such measures?

Could anyone explain to me how the folder could have disappeared in the first place?

Thank you.
    Last edited by jherek; 3rd January 2007 at 07:28 PM.

Default Re: Seeking help on 'lost' folder of pictures

check if you have accidently drag and drop it into another folder in the same drive, or hidden the folder.

worse case I could think of is hdd corrupted, tho i think chance are pretty low from the description.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    check if you have accidently drag and drop it into another folder in the same drive, or hidden the folder.
    yeah that's what i thought so intially. all visible folders did not have the size to indicate that the said folder was inside them. As mentioned even the search funtion did not return any results nor enabling view hidden folders..

ok, not sure if it work, but since you managed to recover some of the picture and folder,you might want to do a direct access using the file path of those recovered image/folder and then slowly go up level by level.

my 2c

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    you might want to do a direct access using the file path of those recovered image/folder and then slowly go up level by level.
    doesn't really work that way..thank you for trying to help

solved the problem and hopefully future ones by investing in a commercial data recovery program..

freeware can only do so much.

for anyone who is interested, I purchased GetDataBack (for NTFS).

Wink Re: Seeking help on 'lost' folder of pictures

Quote Originally Posted by jherek View Post
    solved the problem and hopefully future ones by investing in a commercial data recovery program..

freeware can only do so much.

for anyone who is interested, I purchased GetDataBack (for NTFS).
    Hi, can tell me where you purchased it and at how much the price?

I also got the same problem as you. Turned out to be a worm attack!

But if I use ACD application or other software to check my thumbdrive, can still see the folders which can't be seen in Windows Explorer.

Cheers,
    Jim.

you could find out more by visiting http://www.runtime.org/

jsut download the software to try if it can recover ur files, with evaluation.
    if your file is in good health, you may wish to pruchase the software so you can copy it in an alternatiive location.

prices are also stated.

works great for me.