Thread: filter Question

Default filter Question

Hi guys. mi now thinking about getting a filter 2 protect lens also.
    but mi using kit lens oni.
    any filter 2 recommend ?
    can the filter give a clearer pic ?

thanks
    Canon EOS "Luxury"
    [flickr]

Default Re: filter Question

Quote Originally Posted by StrifeYun View Post
    any filter 2 recommend ?

thanks
    Just check out the better filters around. Nikon NC or B&W

Check for the filter size in diameter.

And NO, it can't give a clearer pic as opposed to without a filter, but a good filter will not hamper the image quality.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Dun think adding additional lens element like filter will make photo clearer unless a polariser to cut down reflection.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

hmm so filter just for protection ? .... can put lens cap over e filter ?
    thanks.

Nikon NC or B&W ? brand/shop names ? pardon mi (newbie)
    Canon EOS "Luxury"
    [flickr]

thanks.

Yup, for protection. Yes, you can still put the cap on.

There are some ppl selling them in the MO.s Else most of the better shops do carry them.

Cheers,
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

thanks.

SO what protection or maybe I should say...who told you about protection of your kit lens? Sound like you got the run around con job by one of those infamous Sim Lim Square saleman hustlers. heheh. So what protection are you thinking about that will protect your lens? Why would a lens cover not be enough protection as compared to an expensive B+W or Nikon filter? Yes Expensive if you have not already known that by now. It is true those brands and filters are some of the best around and will not hindle you from getting good pictures. BUt those filters actually has also a purpose built into it and it was never intended to be used for protection "as per say". heh At the very minimum, some of these filters cut down on UV light or to cool down a scene abit more or to warm it up somewhat..which to some extend your camera's built in whte balance might actually do the trick for you. Adding that filter might just confuse things further. You should think about filters if you really have a problem to solve....not create new problems in the future lah heh. Get me so far?

So back to protection? What are you trying to protect? To ensure no finger print stain or dust gets on the lens' front glass which will effect the "clearness' of your shot? If so, will it not be true of getting dust or stain on the filter and STILL spoil your shot? Or.... maybe your reason being to protect your lens' front glass element from getting knock and scratched up or worst break the glass? Well as expensive as B+W or Nikon filter are...theu are also not super solid and CAN break or CAN scratch(sometime more easy then your lens' glass). They will also break if you knock something on it. And when they break, their glass fragment will fly backward and still scratch your lens' front glass on impact like a domino effect yes? So what is more solid to protect that from happening? Your cheap plastic lens cover that happens to come with your lens when you buy it. If there is any good reason NOT to waste money on good filters for the sake of protection...I think this little grandfather story from me so do the trick. Don't you think? heheh.. Take two panadol and take a day off to rest at home...this should keep the BUY BUY BUY fever virus from effecting you further heheh...

Want to really protect your lens when you are outdoor? Do something that I feel 70% of people in Singapore can't seem to do. LEARN TO WALK and LOOK WHERE YOU WALK PROPERLY!. I have seen too many cameras and lens got knocked pretty damn hard due to something as natural and simple as that. Cheers... Enjoy your new toy.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    SO what protection or maybe I should say...who told you about protection of your kit lens? Sound like you got the run around con job by one of those infamous Sim Lim Square saleman hustlers. heheh. So what protection are you thinking about that will protect your lens? Why would a lens cover not be enough protection as compared to an expensive B+W or Nikon filter? Yes Expensive if you have not already known that by now. It is true those brands and filters are some of the best around and will not hindle you from getting good pictures. BUt those filters actually has also a purpose built into it and it was never intended to be used for protection "as per say". heh At the very minimum, some of these filters cut down on UV light or to cool down a scene abit more or to warm it up somewhat..which to some extend your camera's built in whte balance might actually do the trick for you. Adding that filter might just confuse things further. You should think about filters if you really have a problem to solve....not create new problems in the future lah heh. Get me so far?

So back to protection? What are you trying to protect? To ensure no finger print stain or dust gets on the lens' front glass which will effect the "clearness' of your shot? If so, will it not be true of getting dust or stain on the filter and STILL spoil your shot? Or.... maybe your reason being to protect your lens' front glass element from getting knock and scratched up or worst break the glass? Well as expensive as B+W or Nikon filter are...theu are also not super solid and CAN break or CAN scratch(sometime more easy then your lens' glass). They will also break if you knock something on it. And when they break, their glass fragment will fly backward and still scratch your lens' front glass on impact like a domino effect yes? So what is more solid to protect that from happening? Your cheap plastic lens cover that happens to come with your lens when you buy it. If there is any good reason NOT to waste money on good filters for the sake of protection...I think this little grandfather story from me so do the trick. Don't you think? heheh.. Take two panadol and take a day off to rest at home...this should keep the BUY BUY BUY fever virus from effecting you further heheh...

Want to really protect your lens when you are outdoor? Do something that I feel 70% of people in Singapore can't seem to do. LEARN TO WALK and LOOK WHERE YOU WALK PROPERLY!. I have seen too many cameras and lens got knocked pretty damn hard due to something as natural and simple as that. Cheers... Enjoy your new toy.

wah ... kk hmmm
    btw , what iz B+W ? heee

kk will save up my $$ for better lens, den get a filter hehe & a good cloth
    Canon EOS "Luxury"
    [flickr]

hmmm not i tempted to get this

58mm Hoya PL

any comments ?
    Canon EOS "Luxury"
    [flickr]

hmmm not i tempted to get this

58mm Hoya PL

any comments ?
    A polarizer is great, but understand it's limitation and capability.
    True, it sure helps to cut down reflections and brings out the saturated colors.. But it also cuts down light at the same time. Not exactly the best option to keep it on your lens all the time.

For the kit lens, juz get yourself a cheap Hoya or Tokina Skylight / UV Haze filter. That should offer protection against sand and small flying debris.
    The 58mm should cost around 8~10 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoky View Post
    A polarizer is great, but understand it's limitation and capability.
    True, it sure helps to cut down reflections and brings out the saturated colors.. But it also cuts down light at the same time. Not exactly the best option to keep it on your lens all the time.

For the kit lens, juz get yourself a cheap Hoya or Tokina Skylight / UV Haze filter. That should offer protection against sand and small flying debris.
    The 58mm should cost around 8~10 bucks.
    hmmm

if hor,
    used Canon Skylight @ $20
    used Hoya PL @ $25
    new Hoya UV(N) HMC @ $25

how how ? which 1 2 get ? if i thinking of getting ?

if get PL den nights shots will be darker right ?

hmmmm
    Canon EOS "Luxury"
    [flickr]

hmmm

if hor,
    used Canon Skylight @ $20
    used Hoya PL @ $25
    new Hoya UV(N) HMC @ $25

how how ? which 1 2 get ? if i thinking of getting ?

if get PL den nights shots will be darker right ?

hmmmm
    IMO, just get a new Hoya or Tokina UV for $8 ~ $10...
    After all, the kit lens colours are pretty washed out. So no point paying more for a filter.
    Save your money and use it for practice for it's a very sharp lens at smaller apertures. Colours wise can tweak while PP.

Night shots will not be darker. Your camera will meter TTL and it is tricked to believe that it's a dark scenery when it's pretty lit up at night. Therefore the shutter speed will be slowed and you will get a lot of motion trails / blur of moving objects (or handshake).

After all, the kit lens colours are pretty washed out. So no point paying more for a filter.
    Save your money and use it for practice for it's a very sharp lens at smaller apertures. Colours wise can tweak while PP.

Night shots will not be darker. Your camera will meter TTL and it is tricked to believe that it's a dark scenery when it's pretty lit up at night. Therefore the shutter speed will be slowed and you will get a lot of motion trails / blur of moving objects (or handshake).
    kk thanks, guess ur right

just get a cheap UV filter 4 protection hee
    Canon EOS "Luxury"
    [flickr]

any filter 2 recommend ?

thanks
    Whatever in path of light will reduce the quality of photo. Use only the best, and the reduce quality of photo is minimize. No filter is always the best.

If you intend only for protection, normal multi coated or UV filter is ok. I recommend B+W MRC UV filter.

Regards,
    Arto.

IMHO, if the lens is not so good, don't degrade it more by using cheap filter. All my lenses (cheap or expensive) will have B+W MRC UV filter for protection. That's how I treasure my gears.

Regards,
    Arto.

The salesman at CP got me to buy a cheap Kenko UV Filter (72mm) for 15bucks recently. I hope it is of good quality...
    Flickr Me! :: Nikon D80 :: Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC MACRO

Quote Originally Posted by look4raymond View Post
    The salesman at CP got me to buy a cheap Kenko UV Filter (72mm) for 15bucks recently. I hope it is of good quality...
    Quite a bit of light degradation... loss of about up to 20% of light is possible...

Thus the higher the grade, the less the loss of light... and the price goes up to hundreds for a 77mm filter size.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by look4raymond View Post
    Is $15 for 72mm multicoated? If not, it's going to give you some nasty flares. The lowest I would stoop to is Hoya HMC Super but most of the time I will go for Nikon L37c or NC.