Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: what are the customs for chinese funeral

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    2,504

    Default what are the customs for chinese funeral

    hi guys, one of my former NS officers committed suicide. will be going for her funeral wake later today. i havent attended many funerals before and so am unsure abt the usual practices.

    1) what should i wear? jeans + drab coloured tee ok?
    2) must give money? put in plain white envelope or how?
    3) what do i do at the wake and how long should i spend there on average?
    4) any other things to take note of?

    thanks guys!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: what are the customs for chinese funeral

    1) dun wear any thing red or colorful. simple black & white will do... would be nice if u can wear a white shirt & black pants.

    2) in white envelope is best, amount up to u...

    3) u can just go, pay respect like offer incense, bow etc, then sit down awhile and go. or ask others to go on your behalf.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    2,504

    Default Re: what are the customs for chinese funeral

    ok thanks bro. any special consdieration for suicide victims?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: what are the customs for chinese funeral

    Quote Originally Posted by Isaiahfortythirtyone View Post
    ok thanks bro. any special consdieration for suicide victims?
    dun go probe how he died... just go there as a form of respect for what he had done living.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  5. #5

    Default Re: what are the customs for chinese funeral

    if there is a red string on the table where you are sitting, Take one, coil around your finger and after leaving the funeral, just drop it onto the floor or dustbin. This is to prevent any wandering spirits from following you back.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Western SG
    Posts
    1,537

    Default Re: what are the customs for chinese funeral

    Quote Originally Posted by Isaiahfortythirtyone View Post
    hi guys, one of my former NS officers committed suicide. will be going for her funeral wake later today. i havent attended many funerals before and so am unsure abt the usual practices.

    1) what should i wear? jeans + drab coloured tee ok?
    2) must give money? put in plain white envelope or how?
    3) what do i do at the wake and how long should i spend there on average?
    4) any other things to take note of?

    thanks guys!
    1) Black and White are acceptable colour.
    2) for chinese funeral, yes give in white envelope, any amount.
    3) If you are a Christian, please be polite and offer your minute of silence to pay respect.
    Offering incense and the red string thing means you still believe that the dead spirit still roam the earth after they die.
    4) go with your former camp mates.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default Re: what are the customs for chinese funeral

    Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    if there is a red string on the table where you are sitting, Take one, coil around your finger and after leaving the funeral, just drop it onto the floor or dustbin. This is to prevent any wandering spirits from following you back.
    usually they will give u some sweet as well... just take and eat.

  8. #8

    Default Re: what are the customs for chinese funeral

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32 View Post
    usually they will give u some sweet as well... just take and eat.
    Yes unless it seriously offends your religion, I would say dont be tiki (stubborn) and just do it. Actually sucide cases normally dont have funerals, they are disposed of in a hurried and hush hush manner. Reasoning being it is an unnatural death and there might be spirits that will still linger. Hence best to go pay your respects, give the white gold and dont talk nonsense and dont linger too long.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •