Thread: GPS setups?

Default GPS setups?

Hi guys, need some quick advice on GPS sets as i intend to get one in the next 48hrs. Mainly used for driving in UK/EU so local map coverage is not as much an issue. Hoping for some input between the popular garmin 60csx series and the bluetooth PDA options. I currently use a dell x51v pda so i'm wondering if i'd be better off getting a bluetooth one (cheaper mah) but reliability is crucial for me as is the quality of the maps.

Oh, and where should i go so i won't get ripped off? Any GPS dealers here?

Please advice as i need to fly off soon!

regards
    szekiat

Default Re: GPS setups?

If you already have a PDA with Bluetooth feature, just go to AAA at SLS (I think 4th flr) and look thru their GPS Bluetooth set they have on sale, the maps you need to buy or download, whether you have an integrated PDA with GPS or PDA with separate GPS unit regardless.

I bought a SysOnChip BT made in Korea but this was 2-3 years old already and the GPS tracking is good and fast enough startup to satelite track, I believe the newer models with newer technology should be even better wherever it is made.

../azul123

Arrow Re: GPS setups?

For local information about GPS and their dealers.

http://www.malsingmaps.com/forum/mod...er=asc&start=0

I've not been to Allbright but they say that it's a bit cheaper to get it from them.

I bought my Garmin 60CSx at Tecomart Sim Lim Tower last month at a price of $724.50 without any microSD card. Do note that they are a parallel importer. Perfect watch at Sim Lim Square is a good place to buy but it is a bit more expensive.

You can check Eastgear for the BT Sirf star III GPS module.

http://www.eastgear.com/shop/index.php?cPath=71

http://pageuser.auctions.yahoo.com/s...D=johnnyhuang1

I believe that it boils down to what format of map software that you'll be using.

HTH.
    Last edited by xtemujin; 3rd January 2007 at 07:09 AM.

map formats are not portable. Meaning if you buy mapking from EG you cannot port and use it on other softwares. You first got to know what format your UK/EU maps are first then find your solution.

I'm currently using the BT receiver and PDA phone (dopod 818pro) configuration.
    I find this config good as i can locate the receiver in front of the windscreen while i locate the screen nearer me so that I can see the map better.

Oh yes, nothing beats a really big screen! your dell 51V has a VGA screen which is just perfect! too bad you don't have time to bid for BT GPS receiver on ebay, they sell so much cheaper (incld shipping) than in sg.

OT:xtemujin, are you johnnyhuang in that yahoo auctions?
    Last edited by yanyewkay; 3rd January 2007 at 10:07 AM.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Garmin Nuvi series are great.. I have a nuvi 900 and have tested it in SG and malaysia. So far so good, have been very satisfied.

Size is very small and comes complete with voice prompt and many small features like built in mp3 player, calculator, etc.

If you are into garmin products, can try perfect watch in sim lim square, its at the ground floor.

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    I'm currently using the BT receiver and PDA phone (dopod 818pro) configuration.
    I find this config good as i can locate the receiver in front of the windscreen while i locate the screen nearer me so that I can see the map better.
    BTW, it is not wise to look at the screen when driving but hear the voice prompts instead. I think separate GPS PDA option is better as well. In fact, you can also use a mobile phone with the appropriate GPS Maps on mobile phone (Smartphone OS) and it works equally well. No need PDA to get GPS to work.

../azul123

that's very true. the screen is actually not for you to stare at but glance at. This is the part where mapking loses out. on expressways where there are 2 exits very close to each other, eg: CTE amk ave3 and ave5 or ECP, marine parade and east coast park.

I've tried navigon (not too popular in sg because there's no distro here) it's superb as it predicts the exits you have to take before you enter tunnels and tells you beforehand. For mapking, it just dies when you enter the tunnels cos the GPS receiver cannot receive any signals underground.

Arrow Re: GPS setups?

Yanyewkay,

I'm just giving the link of the seller at Ebay as another source to check out. I've no connection with him.

In Europe, it looks like the map software Tom Tom navigation is quite popular.

Maybe the dead reckoning GPS with gyro will become popular and cheaper one of this day.

http://www.u-blox.com/

HTH.
    Last edited by xtemujin; 3rd January 2007 at 11:45 AM.

the hardware and concept of dr (dead reckoning) isn't epensive, you don't even need u-blox solution, but it's a good software that can make use of the hardware is difficult to write and expensive to develop (yes, writing software is free but the cost of hiring a good team of s/w engineers costs >100K USD a month). The concept is simple but bugged with many problems not wise for me to post in public forums.

edit: oh yah.. since you're not him.. then I would like to point out a joke.. he said his windscreen is 100% tinted.. he driving with an opaque windscreen?

edit2: when I mentioned buying from ebay in my earlier post I meant ebay USA not SG.. so please don't bomb my PM box. thanks! Search ebay usa for "gps" and you get lots of results. The shipping is 'exorbitantly high" but that is the way they recuperate their cheap receivers. It still costs cheaper than buying in sg.
    Last edited by yanyewkay; 3rd January 2007 at 12:00 PM.