Thread: which cameras r better for learning?

Default which cameras r better for learning?

hi all,

i am a newbie who's starting to take up photography as a hobby. till now, i have been using a fuji finepix f610, which is a compact camera with little manual controls.

i am considering upgrading my camera, either to a prosumer or an entry level dslr. my budget is around $1000 to 1200. currently i am looking at panasonic fz50 & canon 350d/400d.

my concern with this camera is to maximise learning (to try out different sorts of photography & understand the basics) with a controlled budget, which is y i am a little reluctant about dslr bcos of the unlimited "upgrading" involved.

hopefully i didnt sound too much like a noob & looking forwards to advice from u guys!

thanks in advance~

Default Re: which cameras r better for learning?

Quote Originally Posted by xaviertte View Post
    hi all,

i am a newbie who's starting to take up photography as a hobby. till now, i have been using a fuji finepix f610, which is a compact camera with little manual controls.

i am considering upgrading my camera, either to a prosumer or an entry level dslr. my budget is around $1000 to 1200. currently i am looking at panasonic fz50 & canon 350d/400d.

my concern with this camera is to maximise learning (to try out different sorts of photography & understand the basics) with a controlled budget, which is y i am a little reluctant about dslr bcos of the unlimited "upgrading" involved.

hopefully i didnt sound too much like a noob & looking forwards to advice from u guys!

thanks in advance~
    prosumer got a much smoother learning curve than dSLR, but once you get transit from prosumer to dSLR, you will have to learn some of the stuff again.
    you might want to give d40 a try, the control is simplified a lot as compared to the other dSLR but it is still a very capable camera.

I think you can try to get a 2nd hand DSLR + kit lens in the 2nd hand market. Should fit your budget just fine and you'll learn faster that way. For upgrading, well if you get a prosumer camera, will you be sure you won't upgrade to a DSLR ?
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

thanks for the advice so far...

but will a dslr with kit lens limit the stuff i can take? esp telephoto stuff & i am not too sure abt macro as well...

i read from online reviews that d40's autofocus will only work with certain lens?

oso, besides personal preferences, how can we compared canon & nikon in terms of dslr? any pros & cons of each side?

but will a dslr with kit lens limit the stuff i can take? esp telephoto stuff & i am not too sure abt macro as well...

i read from online reviews that d40's autofocus will only work with certain lens?

oso, besides personal preferences, how can we compared canon & nikon in terms of dslr? any pros & cons of each side?

one is more limited by himself/herself rather than equipment most of the time. but if really do need a tele, you can always get 1. This is not a worthy problem to worry about. imho
    There are endless comparison about canon and nikon... do a search.

yes as for d40, it can only auto focus with AF-S and HSM lenses.

Affirmative on the D40's lack of focusing motor in body. Thus it only achieves autofocus with AF-S and HSM lenses. (these have focusing motors in the lenses)

As for comparision. There have been plenty of threads on it.

Basic comparision as summarised.

Canon has good noise control on high ISO. They have full frame.

Nikon has good sharpness. They have good wide-angle lenses.

I won't go into the negative points here, but you should be able to find them out on your own reading some of the threads.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

mmm.... i think u need to think about how much telephoto things are u going to shoot? There are actually many people who went to buy lenses like 70-200, so that they can "cover the whole range of distances". But in the end, the lenses are kept in the dry cabinet because they realise that they do not shoot telephoto as much as they think they do...

with a budget slightly more at $1,500 u can get a new D70s kit set. The camera itself has a lot of advanced functions not found in the other amateur DSLRs model. Not to say, the kit lens of D70s is the best among all the amateur DSLR series..

maybe for ur case, the kit lens is already sufficient.
    Last edited by kcuf2; 3rd January 2007 at 12:16 AM.

hi, i suggest u get a prosumer camera. Not that i'm selling one that i say this but using a prosumer is easier for learning the basics. Try buying those that have hotshoes so that u can play with cheap external flashes (<$50) as well. I think your FZ-50 fits the bill.

To get a len coverage of a typical prosumer cam in a dslr will cost u more than your budget. Somemore prosumer is maintenance-free compared to dslr (sensor cleaning, shutter counts, len fungus, etc). Maintenance mistakes in dslr can be costly sometimes...

Then while learning come to CS often and read up online to learn more. Thru experience and knowledge can u make a better decision in which path to take if u advance. Even if u suddenly don like photography anymore, giving up a prosumer is definiely less painful than one dslr system.

Not to mention another advantage is that many people here still keep their learning camera for travelling, etc. Some uses them as spares or standby or complements to their dslr systems.

I came from that line so I know a bit of this mixed feelings stuff. Have fun shooting. See u ard.
    cameras are not made of tofu

hi all,

thanks in advance~
    You will need to get a dry box also for your DSLR. basic 30 liter dry box is about S$100+.
    As for up-grading, think you get a basic DSLR Kit (with lens). From there see your progress and if you need to get/up grade more stuff go for it.

buy a nikon fm manual camera and learn the fundamentals from there. learn to shoot film first before digital. just like in the old days

Nikon FM2. no pain, no gain.