Thread: How to make the "star' smaller??

Question How to make the "star' smaller??

How to make the "star' smaller in the above pics? Thks! Izzit ok to leave the filter on for day shots?? Any cons? thks!
    D800|24~120mm VR|AF VR 80~400mm ED |SB900|50mm F1.8|CD 2X2|FL-360|FastPack 350/Sony RX100M3

Default Re: How to make the "star' smaller??

Quote Originally Posted by AxeLa View Post

How to make the "star' smaller in the above pics? Thks! Izzit ok to leave the filter on for day shots?? Any cons? thks!
    the only con other than having unwanted star is it makes the picture looks softer.

close down aperture?
    eat. drink. shoot

at f/8-22 on wards, the starlight effect will be present and will increase as with the setting of a larger aperture value.

try using a smaller aperture value like 2.8-5.6. should settle the problem.

a lens is like your iris, try squinting at the light and you find the starlight effect as you limit the amount of light with your eyelid.

hope that helped

Quote Originally Posted by 0200903C View Post
    at f/8-22 on wards, the starlight effect will be present and will increase as with the setting of a larger aperture value.

try using a smaller aperture value like 2.8-5.6. should settle the problem.

a lens is like your iris, try squinting at the light and you find the starlight effect as you limit the amount of light with your eyelid.

hope that helped
    he used a star filter... the star effect will always be there in whateva f-stop.

close down aperture?
    iirc, it doesn't help

he didnt state with filter he used.

anyway if he did used the star filter as you so suggest, then take off the filter and be done with it.

anyway, aperture has a part to play in this.

[QUOTE=AxeLa;2733977
    How to make the "star' smaller in the above pics? Thks! Izzit ok to leave the filter on for day shots?? Any cons? thks! [/QUOTE]

Bro...without sound too cranky and old that I am...the "con"? Well that effect has gone out since the 1980s. My advise, use it sparingly please. And also...never...I do insist...again NEVER leave it on your lens for heaven sake! heheheh.

It soften your pictures and you will hate yourself for it later. And if you bought this filter cheap, the coating on it is non existence or too little so that means quality of the image capture through it will not be 'that' good. You are someone with a lot of lens and gears looking at your signature... Those are great stuff. But this special effect filter? Leave it at home or only for really nostagic reason then use it once in a while.

You brough up some great memories for me heheh I just went and dug up my star filter from my storeroom in an old dusty camera bag. Still looks in good condition for a 52mm filter. Anyone wanna to buy it? heheheh.
    Last edited by sammy888; 3rd January 2007 at 01:38 AM.

Arrow Re: How to make the "star' smaller??

THks guys for the feedback...will remove it..... when not in use...
    D800|24~120mm VR|AF VR 80~400mm ED |SB900|50mm F1.8|CD 2X2|FL-360|FastPack 350/Sony RX100M3