Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Urgent......threaten by hooligans

Originally posted by FLiNcHY
    Even if it means ending up in death and killing someone.
    You will not be charged.
    Can you guarantee this? Any witnesses around to support the accused or will they turn around & crucify him?

I'm certain competant police investigators would take care of the information finding.

Lets say A and B are in a pub

A accidentally bumps into B. B thinks he's looking for trouble and gets very angry. A keeps apologisng and tries to back off but B keeps looking for a fight.

a fight breaks out and B attacks A. After moments of struggle, A tries to defend himself and slashes a broken bottle at B and kills him.

A was excercising his right of private defence. He would not be charged even though a death resulted from the struggle. Although, the investigation would be a long and tedious one

I'm certain competant police investigators would take care of the information finding.

Lets say A and B are in a pub

A accidentally bumps into B. B thinks he's looking for trouble and gets very angry. A keeps apologisng and tries to back off but B keeps looking for a fight.

a fight breaks out and B attacks A. After moments of struggle, A tries to defend himself and slashes a broken bottle at B and kills him.

A was excercising his right of private defence. He would not be charged even though a death resulted from the struggle. Although, the investigation would be a long and tedious one
    That is provided A can prove that he genuinely thinks that death or grievous hurt will be the consequence of B's action.

Believe me, this is not an easy defence for any defendant - just read the court reports in the papers and very few (hardly ever in fact) can ever get away with this defence.

best is don't fight in the first place lor

stupid thugs

want to solve everything by force

just call the police and have them handle it

Actually, to be honest, there's no casualties involved.
    The police can't really be bothered with such cases.
    Even if you do report, my guess is, the most they record it down, or give you a statement.
    Only when your friend got hurt, action will be taken.
    Else if your friend is feeling rich, he can always hire a lawyer and sue them.

But seriously, your friend's attitude wasn't so good in the beginning.

To put it bluntly, he brought it upon himself.

I won't pity him if he got beaten up.

No offence.

No i'm not
    i'm just telling u ur rights

IFFF ur life were in danger, u could excercise them
    You sure have a funny way of expressing.

The general rule is...

If you feel your life has been threaten, you should make a police report. Police will investigate as long as you could provide some convincing proof that u feel your life is in danger.

For someone to issue a life threatening note whether verbal/letter is considered a crime. Just a simple letter/note to threaten someone's life can land u in jail.

best is don't fight in the first place lor

stupid thugs

want to solve everything by force

just call the police and have them handle it
    That's a good suggestion, perhaps you can even try to ask them go back and watch "teletubbies" or write 500 times "World Peace" when you are in such situations.

On 1 hand, you suggested that "Just fight back and kill him, won't be charged, blah blah", on the other hand, you said "Just call the police and have them handle it".

Have you ever fall into such situations before? Like what Lavender mentioned earlier on, what you see in Jackie Chan is no where near what actually happens in real life. Grab some newspaper and read about what happened recently to the poor poly student.

Just in case you don't get my point. What I'm suggesting is, if you have no idea of what to do, or what you should do when facing such threats, please do not give some funny suggestions.

Hrm, since this is kopitiam, your funny suggestions really reminded me of some funny ah pehs who just pop in to entertain the rest.

Just my 0.02 cents

If that person is not using a Private line to call you, ask your friend to subscribe to itemised billing.

For m1, they can allow you to get a backdated log of all the calls made/received, and it displays the date, time and duration.

Originally posted by togu

That's a good suggestion, perhaps you can even try to ask them go back and watch "teletubbies" or write 500 times "World Peace" when you are in such situations.

On 1 hand, you suggested that "Just fight back and kill him, won't be charged, blah blah", on the other hand, you said "Just call the police and have them handle it".

Have you ever fall into such situations before? Like what Lavender mentioned earlier on, what you see in Jackie Chan is no where near what actually happens in real life. Grab some newspaper and read about what happened recently to the poor poly student.

Just in case you don't get my point. What I'm suggesting is, if you have no idea of what to do, or what you should do when facing such threats, please do not give some funny suggestions.

Hrm, since this is kopitiam, your funny suggestions really reminded me of some funny ah pehs who just pop in to entertain the rest.

Just my 0.02 cents
    Speaking of the poly student...
    His death was really un-justified.
    Sigh. I feel sorry for his parents.

I think when you land in such a situation, don't ever try to "fight back" or even retaliate. It's just not worth it.
    Arguing with them will only make the situation worse.

You need 2 hands to clap, if one don't "yaya" in the first place, there won't be such incident at all.

I'm not asking him to get into a fight lah....
    i'm just saying that every human has The Right Of Self Defence

Which means that if u'r life is in grave danger, u can retaliate and fight back. Even if it means ending up in death and killing someone.
    You will not be charged.
    that's rubbish. manslaughter is still a charge. whether or not you're guilty of it is up to a judge.

Originally posted by d7t3
    [B]Penal Code, Cap224

100. The right of private defence of the body extends, under the restrictions mentioned in section 99, to the voluntary causing of death or of any other harm to the assailant, if the offence which occasions the exercise of the right is of any of the following descriptions:

(a) such an assault as may reasonably cause the apprehension that death will otherwise be the consequence of such assault;

(b) such an assault as may reasonably cause the apprehension that grievous hurt will otherwise be the consequence of such assault;

(c) an assault with the intention of committing rape;

(d) an assault with the intention of gratifying unnatural lust;

(e) an assault with the intention of kidnapping or abducting;

(f) an assault with the intention of wrongfully confining a person, under circumstances which may reasonably cause him to apprehend that he will be unable to have recourse to the public authorities for his release.
    In case u havent read this lovely excerpt, PLEASE DO

What i've been trying to say all this damn time was that IF your life were in danger because an assailant is just about to endanger you, you have the right to private defence. Even if it means killing the assailant.

Default AND this

RIGHT OF PRIVATE DEFENCE

Things done in private defence

Nothing is an offence, which is done in the exercise of the right of private defence. In order to find out whether the right of private defence existed or not the entire incident should be examined with care and in its proper setting. The injuries received by the accused, the imminent threat to his safety, the injuries caused by the accused and the circumstances whether the accused had time to have recourse to public authorities are all relevant factors to be considered on a plea of private defence. There are also some limitations on the right of private defence of person or property, they are:

that if there is sufficient time for recourse to public authorities, the right is not available,

that more harm than that is necessary should not be caused,

that there must be a reasonable apprehension of death or grievous hurt or hurt to the person or damage to the property concerned.

PUNISHMENT

The court would first find out whether the right of private defence existed or not and consider the case in its proper setting, then only would it decide the punishment.

Default Re: AND this

The court would first find out whether the right of private defence existed or not and consider the case in its proper setting, then only would it decide the punishment.
    Exactly - so its still up to the judge to decide based on evidence as well as the witnesses.

So in the first place, the accused will still be charged if there is prima facie evidence gathered by the police during investigations. So to say that a person won't be charged if its self defence is not accurate. Rather, the defence of "self defence" if believed by the judge will get him an acquittal.

Default Re: AND this

that more harm than that is necessary should not be caused...
    not to pick on you but you should read what you cut and paste from the web...

don't see how that constitutes or justifies killing.

I honestly believe enough have been said and done and whatever advise that can be given on the actual question on this thread had been given already.

As it is, it's getting quite off topic and while the digression is entertaining, with someone spectacularly showing off his knowledge, especially the lack of it, and at the same time, showcasing his idiocy, i have therefore decided to close the thread.

Advice, especially wrong ones, can do alot more harm than good. Knowing that little bit of the law and then cutting and pasting part of the penal code, followed by absurd advice isn't going to do anyone here any good.

Good day.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123