Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Developing Prints @ Kiosk

  1. #1

    Default Developing Prints @ Kiosk

    Hi .. need advise ..

    got free prints from my N73 .. took some pics and send for print - some straight from
    cam and some been PP-ed .. but colors were all out!!! hue is out, brightness/contrast is out .. what could be wrong? if it's only those pics that i PP-ed, then it could be my PP skill and calibration, but even those straight from cam!? all looks fine on screen, even if WB is not right, the difff on print is way too much!?

    is there a different printing via Kiosk and those done by 'human'?
    how do i make sure that the prints are ok?

  2. #2
    Member/Tangshooter zaxh81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,339

    Default Re: Developing Prints @ Kiosk

    Have you try a different kiosk and was your monitor calibrated (won't be much of a diff on this though)?
    Kiosk is not the best place for developing,i suggest you send in to a lab to try out.


  3. #3

    Default Re: Developing Prints @ Kiosk

    have not tried any other kiosk yet .. as my free prints only valid @ kodak so ..

    my monitor is not calibrated .. do know that the prints could be out, but possible to
    be out by that much?

    i'm just curious, if i were to pay for prints and get this quality?! hmm ..

    Quote Originally Posted by zaxh81 View Post
    Have you try a different kiosk and was your monitor calibrated (won't be much of a diff on this though)?
    Kiosk is not the best place for developing,i suggest you send in to a lab to try out.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Developing Prints @ Kiosk

    Monitor should be calibrated, but so does the printer (which you would have no control over). I've only printed via a kiosk once, but as it was express, the person walked me through it. The kiosk basically acted only as data collection. Wonder if all kiosks are set up like that..

    If you've done some processing, always remember to let the people know that you don't want them to do any processing. They all do colour/brightness/contrast adjustments by default if you don't tell them not to - I would think a huge percentage of people who send their photos in don't post process them first, and processing by default by the lab makes the pictures look better.

    What you may want to do to get more consistent colour could be to:
    1. Calibrate your monitor
    2. Get a test picture (with a colour gamut, lots of primary colours, colour bars, skin tones, etc.)
    3. Post process until it's what you think you want
    4. Print (don't forget to tell them 'no processing')
    5. The output is normally Not going to be what you see on your monitor (printer colour gamut is less that what the monitor can display)
    6. Process the picture again to compensate for the printer at the lab (based on your first print)
    7. Send in a few variations in for printing
    8. Then you should know that to send to this particular lab, process to what you want, save that. Then adjust Blue +5, Brightness +10, Contrast +5, etc. and send the adjusted copy to print.
    9. Then stick to that lab (different machines at different locations can have different output), and don't forget the 'no processing' instructions.

    That should get you closer to what you see on your monitor (getting closer to the print you want should work even if you don't do step 1). Someone out there may have a better idea...

    ...or you could get a photo printer.

    Good luck.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Developing Prints @ Kiosk

    hi .. thanks, appreciate your effort in providing me with such details.

    i have send for print in a few instances, but to a different lab (processed by 'human')
    with no problem .. this is the first time i send print via kiosk (cos it's free)

    I'm just surprise that the prints via kiosk is like that .. i wouldn't want to pay and
    get such prints .. any other have experience printing via kiosk?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caras View Post
    Monitor should be calibrated, but so does the printer (which you would have no control over). I've only printed via a kiosk once, but as it was express, the person walked me through it. The kiosk basically acted only as data collection. Wonder if all kiosks are set up like that..

    If you've done some processing, always remember to let the people know that you don't want them to do any processing. They all do colour/brightness/contrast adjustments by default if you don't tell them not to - I would think a huge percentage of people who send their photos in don't post process them first, and processing by default by the lab makes the pictures look better.

    What you may want to do to get more consistent colour could be to:
    1. Calibrate your monitor
    2. Get a test picture (with a colour gamut, lots of primary colours, colour bars, skin tones, etc.)
    3. Post process until it's what you think you want
    4. Print (don't forget to tell them 'no processing')
    5. The output is normally Not going to be what you see on your monitor (printer colour gamut is less that what the monitor can display)
    6. Process the picture again to compensate for the printer at the lab (based on your first print)
    7. Send in a few variations in for printing
    8. Then you should know that to send to this particular lab, process to what you want, save that. Then adjust Blue +5, Brightness +10, Contrast +5, etc. and send the adjusted copy to print.
    9. Then stick to that lab (different machines at different locations can have different output), and don't forget the 'no processing' instructions.

    That should get you closer to what you see on your monitor (getting closer to the print you want should work even if you don't do step 1). Someone out there may have a better idea...

    ...or you could get a photo printer.

    Good luck.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Developing Prints @ Kiosk

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonct View Post
    my monitor is not calibrated .. do know that the prints could be out, but possible to
    be out by that much?
    You will be surprised.. Time for you to go down to EastGear (2nd level Peninsular Plaza), give them $89 in exchange for Gretag Macbeth monitor calibrator. This is one of the cheapest monitor calibrator I know. And I reiterate, you will be surprised how much off your monitor can be. Let us know again.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Developing Prints @ Kiosk

    Quote Originally Posted by Caras View Post
    Monitor should be calibrated, but so does the printer (which you would have no control over). I've only printed via a kiosk once, but as it was express, the person walked me through it. The kiosk basically acted only as data collection. Wonder if all kiosks are set up like that..

    If you've done some processing, always remember to let the people know that you don't want them to do any processing. They all do colour/brightness/contrast adjustments by default if you don't tell them not to - I would think a huge percentage of people who send their photos in don't post process them first, and processing by default by the lab makes the pictures look better.

    What you may want to do to get more consistent colour could be to:
    1. Calibrate your monitor
    2. Get a test picture (with a colour gamut, lots of primary colours, colour bars, skin tones, etc.)
    3. Post process until it's what you think you want
    4. Print (don't forget to tell them 'no processing')
    5. The output is normally Not going to be what you see on your monitor (printer colour gamut is less that what the monitor can display)
    6. Process the picture again to compensate for the printer at the lab (based on your first print)
    7. Send in a few variations in for printing
    8. Then you should know that to send to this particular lab, process to what you want, save that. Then adjust Blue +5, Brightness +10, Contrast +5, etc. and send the adjusted copy to print.
    9. Then stick to that lab (different machines at different locations can have different output), and don't forget the 'no processing' instructions.

    That should get you closer to what you see on your monitor (getting closer to the print you want should work even if you don't do step 1). Someone out there may have a better idea...

    ...or you could get a photo printer.

    Good luck.
    Want a reliable calibrated printer, try ColourLab at Adelphi.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Developing Prints @ Kiosk

    thanks .. think time to get a calibrator

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •