Thread: How much weight can the tripod socket handle?

Default How much weight can the tripod socket handle?

I saw peoples swing their 28-300L with a maybe 1Ds back and
    carry on shoulder as if it's a rake or something. I wonder, how
    much weight can the 1/4" socket handle!

Default Re: How much weight can the tripod socket handle?

the lens is mounted on the tripod socket? or are you trying to say that they are carrying their lens+camera mounted on a tripod on their shoulders?
    eat. drink. shoot

My guess is s alot.

The weight isn;t borne by the tiny screw thread alone. It's only to create tension between the mounting platform and the base of the camera/lens/whatever. I'm not into physics, but I'm guessing that the distribution of weight under tension has something to do with how secure the entire set-up is...withing parametres of course.

It's amazing what tension/friction (in other applications) can acomplish in holding something together as it has something to do with surface areas and the applied tension to the surface areas.

Aiyah, it works lah, that's why it's being used in all cameras/super heavy lens' collars else the manufacturers would have changed it long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by dRebelXT View Post
    I saw peoples swing their 28-300L with a maybe 1Ds back and
    carry on shoulder as if it's a rake or something. I wonder, how
    much weight can the 1/4" socket handle!

I have been doing that for years with all my SLRs and DSLRs..that is how I walk about when I do night shoots around town. Too lazy to extend and compress the legs of the tripod eachtime I stop to shoot. I use to worry about it years ago but have since stop fearing or thinking that the camera with a heavy lens will break off. But then again maybe you have to see what brand of tripod you own. We are not talking about those $10-50 dollar generic non branded ones. For what I paid for a Manfrotto tripod for example and that is not even the high end models or huge price tag types...it still does a great job for me. The plate stays locked and the pin that secure the body to the plate rock solid. The only problem is how high you have the camera thrust up as the tripod legs fully extended and thrown over your shoulder as you walk. Mind the low beams sometimes....