Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you photoshop your photo?

Default Re: Do you photoshop your photo?

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan View Post
    Assuming 1 minute to edit 1 photo.

Assuming a day's shoot gives you 600 photos. How many minutes would be gone editing them through PS?
    u asking me?

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan View Post
    Assuming 1 minute to edit 1 photo.

Assuming a day's shoot gives you 600 photos. How many minutes would be gone editing them through PS?
    Are you serious??? You actually post edit every shot you take?? Time to adopt some selection and editing criteria.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Are you serious??? You actually post edit every shot you take?? Time to adopt some selection and editing criteria.....
    where did he say he does?

Deregistered

That's a question for the thread starter, in regards to using PS to touch up each photo... manually or automated.

if you are not the very "detail" person, you can always create your own action and play it over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    No hardfeelings but its really a misconception to think that PS can fix every single mistakes committed during the shot. Post editing in PS is a integrated part of digital photography that brings out the potential of an image. It is not used to fix badly taken pictures. Contrary to what you think, a photographer requires a whole bunch of photographic knowledge before he can post edit properly. Mind you, I'm talking about those who's living depends on it, not weekend warriors.
    Cheers....I got wat u means.

Post process is not a question of 'do you?' or 'do you not?'. It is a MUST! Of course, you don't post process every shot you take. You select the BEST ones for post processing, or you think they're worth your time to post process.

In olden days, they post process using dark room methods and other fanciful filters. Nowadays, we still use dark room methods, but digital dark room.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

always! coz i'm not very gd in DSLR controling & setting ofcoz my PS skill also soso but slighly better than controling of my DSLR....hope one day i will get much more improve of using my DSLR...then i'll safe alot of time to sleep.

even in 500 shoots a day...i also need to prosess them all...hahaha!
    Last edited by ioriroger; 3rd January 2007 at 11:53 PM.

100% PP all my selected shots. Only the best get PP-ed. The rest get dumped or put one side till I get inspiration.
    Canon 5D & 35L + Panasonic Lumix GX1 & 20mm
    Flickr | Buy Baobao's photobook!

Quote Originally Posted by bernardy4416 View Post
    Hi lunas,

put it this way...

In the old days of film cameras, people used lots of filters for effects (eg: soft focus, colour filters, etc...). Then comes darkroom methods (eg: sepia toning, dodging, burning, etc...).

Now, all that is done using PhotoShop.

The way I see it? No difference. PS is just way easier, and less messy than darkroom procedures.

Bernard

P.S. : Of course, I still have use for some of my old filters like the Polarizer and Star-burst ones....

Quite similar with dark room, now it called digital darkroom
    Leica M4P/ M2 / Summarit 35mm f2.5 / Summicron C40mm f2 / Kobalux 21mm f2.8

then is HDR considered acceptable to pro photogs?

Deregistered

To the threadstarter's question/title -

Yes, I do post-process my work photographs, ie, those which I shoot for a living. It is a necessity, otherwise you get left behind.

But for my personal/travel/outings photos, I find more pleasure getting it out-of-camera, hence post-processing is kept to a minimum, and then only for creating moods. Of course, I don't deny that I'm often too lazy to PS my personal pics.

As for the samples you've shown, put it this way - PhotoShop is as much a part of modern photography as the darkroom was for film purists/users. So there shouldn't be any issue. All you need do is go find resources on how to do better PSing. In that respect, some of the earlier posts in this thread have already replied.

Quote Originally Posted by bernardy4416 View Post
    Hi lunas,

put it this way...

In the old days of film cameras, people used lots of filters for effects (eg: soft focus, colour filters, etc...). Then comes darkroom methods (eg: sepia toning, dodging, burning, etc...).

Now, all that is done using PhotoShop.

The way I see it? No difference. PS is just way easier, and less messy than darkroom procedures.

Bernard

P.S. : Of course, I still have use for some of my old filters like the Polarizer and Star-burst ones....
    To add on, in olden days, film negatives can also be edited! So, this is probably the olden days kind of photoshop.

As highlighted by a previous poster, photography PP should only be done for ENHANCEMENT or CORRECTION only.

Adding anything that was not there in the pix in e 1st place is no longer considered photography. I think in this instance, it falls into the graphic design/manipulation genre.

Flickr Me! :: Nikon D80 :: Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC MACRO

I see PS as a means of enhancing my photos...

A few pts to note:

Anti-PS ppl always think that PS is not good as we rely too much on PS to correct errors such as exposure errors etc when we can actually fix these errors by shooting properly... I do use PS myself to do such corrections but this does not mean that i am lousy in photog... Sometimes, when you capture the moment and when u look at the pic then... Argh~ A bit OOF or a bit underexp? How? Go back and try to shoot properly? That cant happen... So i think that PS can help to solve these errors tat we make in capturing the moment. And do note that no one is perfect and errors will be made so such corrections are necessary in my opinion...

Some ppl say that PS can replace the need of premium lens... I can use the kit lens then bump up saturation and i get a 16-35L-like image... Anw, i seriously find that bullshit (Sorry for the bad language but just to express my dislike)... Frankly, i find it impossible to do that... Being a canon user, i think that L lenses give the wow effect that normal lenses cant give and it's something that PS cannot produce... And even if the theory of PS being able to emulate pro lens hold, u have to PS EVERY single image to get the effect... I would say that it's troublesome... One more thing one this pt is that pro lens have smthg that PS cant do: faster focusing and dof effects (for those 2.8 zooms and primes)... These are the things that make "it " happen apart from better optics...

For the pros, i think it's a MUST to edit to survive commercially... Also, as the client, i think you will rather see PSed images taht look swee swee instead of flatter, more dull images...

Lastly, i am against image manipulation using PS. I think i am like the press... I use photoshop to correct image, not to add objects to them.. Wat's not there shld not be there... Be factual, be truthful to photography...

I end my case... PS is a great tool but easily misused and misunderstood
    Last edited by imouyang; 6th January 2007 at 06:37 PM.
    Clear Vision, Swift Action, Good Results.
    imouyang.multiply.com/photos

Quote Originally Posted by digisnap View Post
    I agree to the general replies on this post. PS editing like cropping, modifying saturation, hue, etc.. is acceptable and has been part of photography even before the days of computers. Therefore, it is generally accepted by professional photographers.

What I find that is not acceptable by pros is digitally adding objects to a photo. For example, in a picture competition where beaches are the subject, a photographer who inserts trees and a beatiful sun to his bare sand and sea picture will generally be seen as cheating.

Of course the above is still not a hard and fast rule. There are times when it is still acceptable to digitally add objects to your picture. This is when contest rules specifically allow it and in general photography like in weddings and print ads where the intention is to enhance the picture-- not to deceive the audience.

In summary, feel free to use PS editing but remember to use it for the right reasons.
    correct me if i'm wrong but these can be done in a darkroom too...composition of different images i mean

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Witness View Post
    correct me if i'm wrong but these can be done in a darkroom too...composition of different images i mean

cheers
    Yes, that is correct.

The previous poster was trying to say that photographers should respect the limits imposed by the rules and regulations of whatever competition they intend to compete in.

However, if they are using PS simply for artistic expression, then the only limiting factor is their imaginations.

Bernard
    Last edited by bernardy4416; 7th January 2007 at 09:09 AM.

To put it simple, photoshop is a digital darkroom tool to photography. When you know and understand how your tool works, the use for it boilsdown to your creativity and imagination.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12