Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Silica Gel

  1. #1

    Default Silica Gel

    How do you place the silica gel in the container you use to keep your camera, memory cards, wires, etc?

    I read somewhere that it is not advisable for the camera to be in direct contact with the camera body. If that is so how should I 'package' the silica gel before placing it in the container?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    South
    Posts
    490

    Default Re: Silica Gel

    Originally posted by Linkster
    How do you place the silica gel in the container you use to keep your camera, memory cards, wires, etc?

    I read somewhere that it is not advisable for the camera to be in direct contact with the camera body. If that is so how should I 'package' the silica gel before placing it in the container?
    Put inside the Flim container put make few hole on top, bottom & side, and put inside the camera bag.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Re: Silica Gel

    Originally posted by longman


    Put inside the Flim container put make few hole on top, bottom & side, and put inside the camera bag.
    hmm..why didn't think of that?

    great idea.. but i'll need to find the film container.. coz i'm G3 user.. no film..

    another question popped in my mind.. how much silica gel do u have to use? i oso realised my gel turns pink quite fast.. something like around 1 day to 1 1/2 day?

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    4,026

    Default Get the bag from Daiso IMM $2

    Hiee....

    Here is something to share, .........i have been using a couple of those laundry bags(net type) - available in various shapes and size.......used for washing lingerie and other soft fabric. Available in Daiso IMM 3rd floor.

    These are bags with zip at the end and you can put the silica gel i them. I use a rectangular one for my dry box. Due to the flat profile when placed at the base of the drybox, the gels are evenly spread out and does not take up too much space in the dry box.

    CHanging the gels are aslo easy due to the simple zip.

    Just another idea.

    regards,
    Sulhan

  5. #5

    Default

    The best way to know how much silica gel to use is to get a digital hygrometer to measure the humidity of your box. You adjust the amt of silica gel untill you get humidity between 45%-55% (as advised by most clubsnappers).

    You silica gel turns pink fast might be due too humid in your box. You might have put too little silica gel in your box, or your box is not air tight enough.

    Digital hygrometer can be bought at SLT. (I bought mine at Giant - Parkway Parade for $29.90. Coudn't find it at Giant - IMM earlier).
    Last edited by fiery; 14th February 2003 at 04:31 PM.

  6. #6

    Default

    must use meter meter all ah? when i had my eos 300 i just pour in half of the silica gel container. my boz had this layer/trat thang where after u pour the gel in u u place the tray on top then put the cam . so no contact. the tray had a hole thing where u can attach the camera to the tray so it will not move about when the box is being moved.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    my heart in san francisco
    Posts
    2,233

    Default

    Originally posted by fiery
    The best way to know how much silica gel to use is to get a digital hygrometer to measure the humidity of your box. You adjust the amt of silica gel untill you get humidity between 45%-55% (as advised by most clubsnappers).

    You silica gel turns pink fast might be due too humid in your box. You might have put too little silica gel in your box, or your box is not air tight enough.

    Digital hygrometer can be bought at SLT. (I bought mine at Giant - Parkway Parade for $29.90. Coudn't find it at Giant - IMM earlier).
    Hi, can i check with u pls....at the moment my Digital hygrometer reads 30%. Should i remove some gel or put in somemore to get to 45-55%? What does the percentage represent? Pls help...thanks!

  8. #8

    Default

    Originally posted by swimcraze


    Hi, can i check with u pls....at the moment my Digital hygrometer reads 30%. Should i remove some gel or put in somemore to get to 45-55%? What does the percentage represent? Pls help...thanks!
    remove

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    my heart in san francisco
    Posts
    2,233

    Default

    Originally posted by mervlam


    remove
    what kind of harm will there be to the equipment if it is at 30%????? thanks!

  10. #10

    Default

    the seal ring inside the camera will dry up

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    my heart in san francisco
    Posts
    2,233

    Default

    OOoooooooooooooooooooooo.......

  12. #12

    Default

    Originally posted by swimcraze
    OOoooooooooooooooooooooo.......
    rather, the lube oil, rubber and leather starts to dry up. in the case of the last two, they may crack.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    near e4
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Originally posted by swimcraze


    Hi, can i check with u pls....at the moment my Digital hygrometer reads 30%. Should i remove some gel or put in somemore to get to 45-55%? What does the percentage represent? Pls help...thanks!
    the numbers represent relative humidity (RH), ie, how much water is there in the air.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    my heart in san francisco
    Posts
    2,233

    Unhappy

    I have removed alot of the silica gel from the box already....it is left with VERY Veery little and it still reads 40%.....HOW????? is it adequate to protect my equipment since there is so little in there???????

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •