Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommended Media for archive

Default Re: Recommended Media for archive

picked up a 250GB WD MYBOOK external HDD with 3 yr warranty for $199 today

Thanks for the info Cyrn. Seems like the best bet for me is to use DVD-R disks instead of DVD-RW. Hard disk doesn't sound like a good archival tool. It sounds more for normal transitional data that you still frequently access.

If you're considering a Buffalo, can also consider a Raid5 card and 4 harddisks. i'm using a RocketRaid 1640, about $220; put in 4 pieces of 400GB and the total would be around $1.1k. Slightly cheaper than a 4x250GB Buffalo.

Also, i suggest you forget about the DVD-RAM. If your data is anywhere above 0.5TB, and growing, it's just too expensive and messy.

Quote Originally Posted by ST1100 View Post
    Also, i suggest you forget about the DVD-RAM. If your data is anywhere above 0.5TB, and growing, it's just too expensive and messy.
    yeah. but currently it is not that big cos i just switched to digital lately. but the rate it is growing at......

btw, how much does the buffulo cost exactly? i prefer external HDs as there are different computers i need to backup, so i can't go for the raid card.

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    gee.....wondering why alot of info i got from many internet sources differ from yours.
    Here's my reference, it's a little back dated but still applies in sense of application. There's sometimes significant differences between "advertised" shelf life and the actual.
    Last edited by CYRN; 2nd January 2007 at 08:59 PM.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by ST1100 View Post
    If you're considering a Buffalo, can also consider a Raid5 card and 4 harddisks. i'm using a RocketRaid 1640, about $220; put in 4 pieces of 400GB and the total would be around $1.1k. Slightly cheaper than a 4x250GB Buffalo.
    You are the man! I like your setup

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    erm... guys? why suddenly talk about raid arrays? i was asking about ext HDs vs DVD-RAMs. please read first post. i noticed that it is diverging as the thread advances.
    Sorry, Satay... I sincerely thought of RAID-5 recommendation as "Recommended Media for archive"... please ignore my post if I am off topic

Quote Originally Posted by miniUltraman View Post
    Sorry, Satay... I sincerely thought of RAID-5 recommendation as "Recommended Media for archive"... please ignore my post if I am off topic
    no lah. there was one particular post which put me off abit so i said it. and it's not you.

anyway, with all the raid thingy being mentioned, it did opened up another method which i thought was too expensive. the buffalo. did abit of calculations, and it seems that it might be worth it. what's your view?

Raid is not the ultimate in storage. It is just good for online availability. It cannot protect you against accidental deletion/corruption of data.
    If you want a good method, yet relatively cheap, just use Raid (1 or 5) for your hard disks, then do a secondary offline backup to DVD. Burn a duplicate copy to a different brand of DVD if you are kiasu.

This is how I backup my photos as follows:

1. Harddisk Storage
    I am using V-Gear LanDisk with 200 gig storage. Interface is RJ45 so bandwidth is 100M. Connect it to your wireless router become wireless storage.
    Check their link for more details at http://vgear.com/products/list.asp?ProdID=AMVG1-017-001
    Similar product is Linksys NSLU2, http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=640&scid=43

2. DVD backup
    I also use DVD-R to backup my data. I use printable DVD and print label to indicate the type of photos. All DVD-R media is kept in my dry cabinet.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12