Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lousy planning of crowd control at Esplanade

Default Re: Lousy planning of crowd control at Esplanade

The organisers did close Esplanade walk, and esplanade bridge. THere were just too many people! By 11pm, CISCO guards had stopped people from entering the waterfront.

My aim was for the fireworks, with the balls in the foreground. However, reaching at 7pm, I was too late for my ideal spot. Armed with matt, umbrellas, dinner, water, I was ready to camp it out! Luckily I found a spot next to the water, and surviving the huge human sardine pack was easier with the ocassional sea breeze. And the rain did help to disperse some pple!

What was disappointing was the 'fireworks' from NTUC bulding. They were at best 'flares'. I did not expect HK or Sydney quality stuff, but it doensn't take a genius to figure out that 30seconds (YES ONLY 30seconds) of pathetic flares at 10/11/11.30pm each was going to do anything.

The main fireworks.....only 5 minutes. Initial sequences were disappointing, as these are the smoke-free frames that can really be keepers. On the whole, the fireworks were passable, quite near to NDP or even SFF standards.

I'm really hoping for giant flower bursts over the skyline of CBD. I'm guessing that there's a height limit. (AFAIK, the tallest buildings in SG are limited to 280meters, fireworks too?).
    Such bursts over the entire skyline on top of 5-6 buildings will really make SG a FF hub!!

As for getting out, after reaching the carpark....I was home rather quickly. I'd say it'll boil down to proper planning of the exit of the carpark, the first roads that you'll hit, and main agenda is to head away from City at all cost! And not get back to nicoll highway, padang, etc etc.

Till the CNY FFs,....we shld be seeing lesser crowds....NYE is the absolute worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    the only chance you get free chartered shuttle buses is during P@P election rallys! ...
    dun forget NDP...
    eat. drink. shoot

here's a pic of the crowd on esplanade drive:

and the poor cisco management on the bridge

eat. drink. shoot

Lol. Crowd was bad enough. Esplanade area was jammed to the fullest. I was taking the fireworks from the Esplanade Park. Was there at around 6:30pm and took position on the slope along the river. Had to move closer and closer to the river many times as some crowds kept sitting in front of my cam. Ended up using my umbrella to block the place in front of my cam.

Overall, the "fireworks" at 10pm, 11pm and 11:30pm were at best like the sparklers that some children were playing with behind me. Basically, the area was too dense and I think was already over its capacity for human traffic. The best and limited viewing areas are too small too hold so many ppl. Next time, I'll go back to Shears bridge and join the photogers than to have to fight with the public. Getting out was also difficult and I had to go the longest round-about routes to circumvent all the crowds. Also experienced first-hand the need for protective filters. I broke my 67mm PL UV filter due to the crowds. Lens hood took a scratch but lens was perfectly intact.
    5D MII w/16-35L,Sigma 28-70&Nikkors(35f2,85f1.4,105f2.5,180f2.8ED)

maybe this year they only do testing, i believe 2007 year fireworks will be much more interesting, maybe more building will be involve.

anyone tried shooting from bras brasa hdb?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

u write to Singapore Police Force lah... u write to CS forum no use lah.

this year countdown, for sure they are worried abt security because someone very notorious just got hanged... morever some bad incidents happen in Bangkok on the same night.

actually CISCO and Focal Security Group are the companies to write to cos they were the ones in charge of security that day...
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by stonefish35 View Post
    What time you were there trying to get in ?

My POV is that, Esplanade was overcrowded and had reached its qouta, which is why the police sort of seal off the Esplanade. I was there at 2.45pm. Encountered nothing of your mentioned problems with barrricades , although the place is starting to get crowded. I still have time to walk over to Marina Giant to get some drinks, newspaper and snacks.

When I reach there with my friends at 2.30pm, the place is crowded with maids and their Bangalas boyfriend. Hardly can see any fellow photographers cos we do not see any tripods arounds. By 6pm, the waterfront was 90% full.
    I reach there around 9.45pm.
    Saw some parents argue with the security officer, heard they had try a few entrance but security officer keep telling them to go to another entrance.

where's the threadstarter?
    So i think they did the right thing,heard the news have bangkok bombing.

Crowd control is definitely a must, but the problem is you are ask to detour to another entrance which has also been close. Then you are ask to use another entrance again. So no end
    Whatever it is, it's already over I only get the chance to see a small flare from one of the building for a minute.

the best place to be, is in a hotel, shooting the fireworks and sipping ice cold champagne.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    the best place to be, is in a hotel, shooting the fireworks and sipping ice cold champagne.
    So which hotel you are in?
    I went straight back home after the 1st fireworks, unload my stuff and went to coffeeshop for a ice cold beer.

Quote Originally Posted by maxmax View Post
    Crowd control is definitely a must, but the problem is you are ask to detour to another entrance which has also been close. Then you are ask to use another entrance again. So no end
    Whatever it is, it's already over I only get the chance to see a small flare from one of the building for a minute.
    then your complaint seems to be directing at the personnels on ground who did not provide useful information, instead of blaming the planning of the crowd control. is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by JoshSiao View Post
    Lol. Crowd was bad enough. Esplanade area was jammed to the fullest. I was taking the fireworks from the Esplanade Park. Was there at around 6:30pm and took position on the slope along the river. Had to move closer and closer to the river many times as some crowds kept sitting in front of my cam. Ended up using my umbrella to block the place in front of my cam.

Overall, the "fireworks" at 10pm, 11pm and 11:30pm were at best like the sparklers that some children were playing with behind me. Basically, the area was too dense and I think was already over its capacity for human traffic. The best and limited viewing areas are too small too hold so many ppl. Next time, I'll go back to Shears bridge and join the photogers than to have to fight with the public. Getting out was also difficult and I had to go the longest round-about routes to circumvent all the crowds. Also experienced first-hand the need for protective filters. I broke my 67mm PL UV filter due to the crowds. Lens hood took a scratch but lens was perfectly intact.
    it is pretty much the same @ shears bridge, maybe at most a little better.

Such crowds. Looks like a potential safety problem. Good thing there were no pranksters shooting firecrackers into the crowd or else there will be a stampede and it will be ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by digisnap View Post
    Such crowds. Looks like a potential safety problem. Good thing there were no pranksters shooting firecrackers into the crowd or else there will be a stampede and it will be ugly.
    firecrackers are banned in singapore
    eat. drink. shoot

it was a crazy hard time to find taxis home ...

i took almost 3.5 hours to get a cab.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    smart.. in fact best place is to shoot from Swiss Hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    it was a crazy hard time to find taxis home ...

i took almost 3.5 hours to get a cab.
    i was lucky and got a taxi which was supposedly "on call", but the person who booked cancelled the booking at the last min
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    i was lucky and got a taxi which was supposedly "on call", but the person who booked cancelled the booking at the last min
    u r very lucky...

went for a late nite drink with kakis at fiver valley...

took nicoll highway home... on the way saw so many pple by the road waiting...

even saw a drunken (lady i think) by the bus stop in front of One Fullerton...
    Stress Man @ work... :bigeyes:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast