Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lousy planning of crowd control at Esplanade

Default Re: Lousy planning of crowd control at Esplanade

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycelim View Post
    As expected. next time go to Marina South. Less crowded, but traffic jammed. haha
    Yes, the view is not too bad. It is less crowded, we reach there at 9pm and still get a good view. (better if you drive as you can "select" your spot). also less smoke

But i was stuck in the traffic jam and got home only 2 hours.
    Last edited by kitkat; 1st January 2007 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by maxmax View Post
    Try a few entrance to esplanade, all were block by the cisco police.
    Try to cross the road to esplanade, all were block with barrier leaving only a single path for the crowds to cross over. Imagine how long will you take to cross over when both side thousands of crowds go against different direction.
    Knowing that this event would draw thousands of crowds, the police should have plan to close the road around it for a few hour.
    With so many years of experience over the crowds control at esplanade, things have never change.
    Its even worst at the underpass at esplanade, in the end I gave up my idea of shooting the fireworks and went back home.

I feel the police have did a wonderful job based on past esplanade fireworks. What else do you expect with everyone going to the same small lttle place for countdown? yes, it is frustrating, i rem been stuck at the esplanade for 1 hour after the countdown end. Again, it is largely due to large number of pple converging to a place. Whatever the police do , someone will complain. - Yes Singaporeans complain alot.

But I never give up the shooting. I came early (5pm) and have my sweet spot. It is worth it. If you know the crowd, plan early OR stay at home.
    Last edited by kitkat; 1st January 2007 at 05:23 PM.

Personally, I don't think it's an issue of bad crowd control... when the fireworks is centralised at one place, and there's just only that few 'good' viewable areas, the whole of Singapore will throng to that place...

Unless there could be some decentralised places where the crowd could be spread to avoid massive immobilisation like last night... Easier said than done of course...
    Jia Wang... "A photo is only as beautiful as the photographer's eyes can see."
    My Eyes ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Jia Wang View Post
    Personally, I don't think it's an issue of bad crowd control... when the fireworks is centralised at one place, and there's just only that few 'good' viewable areas, the whole of Singapore will throng to that place...

Unless there could be some decentralised places where the crowd could be spread to avoid massive immobilisation like last night... Easier said than done of course...

That is what they are trying to do. I have no complaints about that since Singapore is too small itself.

The only issues I have is the fireworks (and the planners for the fireworks) itself. It is still too smoky and still the same old theme as 3 years back.

Lol i more kuku coz it my 1st time to go for firework shot i manage to setup my tripob but aim wrong side , i was aim at marina bay like everyone does , but endup the 1st wirkwork start at NTUC building lol worst of all is after that it start to rain , me and my wife got nochoice but to giveup coz if not both our eq will get wet , treat it as my 1st lesson

Quote Originally Posted by Caspere View Post
    All these time and effort for that lousy 5minutes of fireworks ?!! For the number of people there and the time/effort involved, it suc*k big time.

When I was in HK, they did it for >20minutes.
    Actually you missed the whole point .... it is not that "5 minutes" that ppl suck big time to get there, it is the atmosphere, the hours before the show when you are able to feel the crowd as well as the time you spent with your friends, love ones, relatives, etc.... even for some photographers (who are deadly serious abt it) the 5 mins is totally well worth the hours of waiting..... just ask those "birds shooters"....
    always the Light, .... always.

If one wants to join the crowd, then don't complain. The only thing one needs to do is follow instructions.

I know it's going to be a mad rush for good spots and problems before, during or after the show, so that's why I stay in the comfort of my home and watch CNA. Live telecast of the fireworks!
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

To think millions were spent planting flowers all over the city for IMF and pathetic fireworks just don't make much sense.

Smile Re: Lousy planning of crowd control at Esplanade

best... stay home see... no police, no crowd control, no traffic jam, etc...

Stress Man @ work... :bigeyes:

I only wish they could extend the MRT service slightly longer... was d**n lucky to catch the last train back home . and at that time the crowd outside the MRT station is still

they should make the mrt service to extend till 3am.

i am offering a solution and not complaining.
    random equipment.
    where are my primes?

Quote Originally Posted by wanzw View Post
    they should make the mrt service to extend till 3am.

i am offering a solution and not complaining.
    I have to agree with this fully, although SMRT states that they do need to do maintenance everyday. Perharps an exception for only 1 day may be made on wee morning of 1st Jan.

Was there at 8pm, managed to chop a good spot at the fullertion hotel there, saw many photographers (DSLR) without tripod and only a few with tripod (compact cam) and after the fireworks, head str to the city hall mrt as the last train was at 1.30am. got home at 1am (tampines). can say bad crowd control. everyone was pushing around, lucky i last min decided that i will nt bring my cam, but to enjoy it with friends.

i some how rergret going to esplanade , poor management =D ..
    Sometimes it is better to lose and do the right thing than to win and do the wrong thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Caspere View Post
    All these time and effort for that lousy 5minutes of fireworks ?!! For the number of people there and the time/effort involved, it suc*k big time.

When I was in HK, they did it for >20minutes.
    i was viewing pics of HK fireworks for 2007, and they are great!
    eat. drink. shoot

Take it as lesson learnt, and you'll be more prepared the next time.
    For any event, it is wise to scope out the target first. Any kind of infomation given or not , tells you something about the whole thing. Some guy was nice enough to post the link to the CNA interview with the cheographer few(?) days ago. That and the relative lack of information about the setup should get us er.. to lower expectations?

Wasn't much of a cordon around the buildings; says something too. I got my friend over at fullerton since he was using a tele, so the FFB suited him more. Me, i wanted the IMAX view this time, so went to the bridge area. Saw a few guys with 50s and 85s, think they were panicking when the finale exploded overhead,

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    i was viewing pics of HK fireworks for 2007, and they are great!
    HK has the perfect stage for a firework show, with the fireworks going off in the middle of the harbor, you have many great vantage points ... Only other place equally good is Sydney
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
    But I never give up the shooting. I came early (3am) and have my sweet spot. It is worth it. If you know the crowd, plan early OR stay at home.
    3am??? wow.. super kiasu ah?? u meant u camp there?

actually my whole family felt the police did a great job yesterday.
    Kudos to them for being fast to react during the sudden rainpour to guide the leaving crowd to shelter and the good planning to segregate the crowd accordingly.

a few years back when we were at Esplanade, the not much control so pple pushing here and there as early as 8pm and when e firework starts it was wrost when going back.

This year was one of the best human traffic control.
    Our family of 4 adult 4 young children manage to get to our carpark at Funan from esplanade in 20 mins comapre to 45 mins the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
    I have to agree with this fully, although SMRT states that they do need to do maintenance everyday. Perharps an exception for only 1 day may be made on wee morning of 1st Jan.
    SMRT put till 3am. confirm won't see that kind of rush one.

yesterday was walking citylink mall. the access way from esplanade to the mall itself is totally.
    random equipment.
    where are my primes?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast