Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lousy planning of crowd control at Esplanade

Default Lousy planning of crowd control at Esplanade

Try a few entrance to esplanade, all were block by the cisco police.
    Try to cross the road to esplanade, all were block with barrier leaving only a single path for the crowds to cross over. Imagine how long will you take to cross over when both side thousands of crowds go against different direction.
    Knowing that this event would draw thousands of crowds, the police should have plan to close the road around it for a few hour.
    With so many years of experience over the crowds control at esplanade, things have never change.
    Its even worst at the underpass at esplanade, in the end I gave up my idea of shooting the fireworks and went back home.
    Crowd control at esplanade=

Default Re: Lousy planning of crowd control at Esplanade

Quote Originally Posted by maxmax View Post
    Try to cross the road to esplanade, all were block with barrier leaving only a single path for the crowds to cross over. Imagine how long will you take to cross over when both side thousands of crowds go against different direction.
    Knowing that this event would draw thousands of crowds, the police should have plan to close the road around it for a few hour.
    With so many years of experience over the crowds control at esplanade, things have never change.
    Its even worst at the underpass at esplanade, in the end I gave up my idea of shooting the fireworks and went back home.
    it has always been this way for fireworks around that area. we are always prepared to stake out there for the best positions for fireworks and prepared to leave late. nothing to complain about. close the road? possible. but there's always reasons for everything they do. though its usually not practical.

As expected. next time go to Marina South. Less crowded, but traffic jammed. haha

Here's a picture drawn by me, everywhere is block.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycelim View Post
    As expected. next time go to Marina South. Less crowded, but traffic jammed. haha
    haha ya i jam in the traffic for abt 1hr. completely cant leave the carpark. Zzzz

wah! you really put in effort! Anyway, it is expected. every year it is the same situation. the worst thing is that everybody wants to get out from the place at the same time. singaporeans are all too relient on public transportation!

Maybe gahmen chartered shuttle buses?

I dun think you can expect smooth traffice when everyone throngs there to catch fireworks right? That's why this year I stayed at home
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

There's not point complaining here..

next time go early

What time you were there trying to get in ?

My POV is that, Esplanade was overcrowded and had reached its qouta, which is why the police sort of seal off the Esplanade. I was there at 2.45pm. Encountered nothing of your mentioned problems with barrricades , although the place is starting to get crowded. I still have time to walk over to Marina Giant to get some drinks, newspaper and snacks.

When I reach there with my friends at 2.30pm, the place is crowded with maids and their Bangalas boyfriend. Hardly can see any fellow photographers cos we do not see any tripods arounds. By 6pm, the waterfront was 90% full.

I was there at around 5pm already. They already start to block off part of the road as crowds moved in.

What do you expect? If they do not control the crowds then something happen and somebody needs attendance by ambulance how?

If you ever know, at lot of medics are around on standby. No crowds control means also means difficulty accessing around for them during emergency........
    Cleanse your thoughts, not by the foods you eat.

this year super long week end mah, many people went there to enjoy. cant blame the organizer too, very difficult job to plan and do.

like others have said, pass year, if shoot fireworks, we stake out at best location as early as 2pm.

as long as no stamped, fights etc, the org. had done their job well in my opinion.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Imagine if there was standing room only along the Esplanade seafront.

Crowds were not stopped from pushing their way inwards.

Those standing right next to the sea.... only one way to go.

*splash*

so do you have a solution to contribute.

what do you mean by closing the roads? how would that solve the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post

what do you mean by closing the roads? how would that solve the problem?
    Then the drivers complain they close roads...
    There is no end...

IMHO, the crowd control was very orderly and professional.
    One must understand that the main problems and issues include:
    1. Security - crowd control is top priority.
    2. Businesses should be as normal as possible (Hotels, restaurants, shops, etc).
    3. Drivers should not be penalised.
    In all fairness, due to limited viewing areas, limiting the crowd was a correct decision. Ppl who wants easy access should be there early, and leave as late as possible. I was there at around 8-30pm (parked my car at Pan Pacific Hotel and walked over), yes there were crowd but not that bad. Went to the restaurant and watched the displays and went home at 1-30am .... totally no problem with crowd or car!
    After the countdown ..... to those who wanted to go home early (12-30am) to catch the mrt, bus, etc..
    Last edited by Canonised; 1st January 2007 at 11:05 AM.
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by deckard View Post
    Maybe gahmen chartered shuttle buses?
    the only chance you get free chartered shuttle buses is during P@P election rallys! ...
    always the Light, .... always.

Esplanade Waterfront is too short. It's the place with best views of the fireworks, and it's too short. Oh yea and the fireworks from NTUC Centre and Raffles Quay are pathetic.

All these time and effort for that lousy 5minutes of fireworks ?!! For the number of people there and the time/effort involved, it suc*k big time.

When I was in HK, they did it for >20minutes.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast