Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: How to remove circle of light in night shots?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    SengKang, Singapore
    Posts
    212

    Default How to remove circle of light in night shots?

    Hi, I have some night shots. And found out some of shot with circle of light like this....

    Why is this so? Is there way to prevent to it?



    I'm using D80 with KitLens (18-135mm)

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to remove circle of light in night shots?

    what u mean circle of lights? i think they are overblown lights due to low shutter speed. i think u can PS them away.

    btw, this is the wrong subforum to post this question.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    990

    Default Re: How to remove circle of light in night shots?

    Hi, did you use flash? I suppose that the circle was due to dust particle near the cam and was "flashed" at hence the circle...

    Try taking flash shots in a dusty area and you'll find lots of circles or spots on your pictures.

    Supernatural forums all over the web claims that these circles are actually ghost orbs... but an experience photographer will tell you that it is due to dust particles in the air.
    Dun blame the camera...blame the one behind the viewfinder :bsmilie:
    My Flickr..pls leave comments!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    SengKang, Singapore
    Posts
    212

    Default Re: How to remove circle of light in night shots?

    Quote Originally Posted by elfvin View Post
    what u mean circle of lights? i think they are overblown lights due to low shutter speed. i think u can PS them away.

    btw, this is the wrong subforum to post this question.
    Isst? Sorry ....Moderators, can help to move this posting to the correct subforum. Thanks.

    Yeah, I think you may be right... all night pictures that having this overblown lights, are taken with shutter speeds of > 2 secs.
    Is there other way, beside PS them?....because I prefer pictures to be original (unless crop/resize)

  5. #5

    Default Re: How to remove circle of light in night shots?

    hey, do u mean the GREEN circle in the left hand side? that is most likely lens flare.
    Use the provided lens hood and try point your lens away from light sources close by.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    SengKang, Singapore
    Posts
    212

    Default Re: How to remove circle of light in night shots?

    Quote Originally Posted by tkbonz View Post
    Hi, did you use flash? I suppose that the circle was due to dust particle near the cam and was "flashed" at hence the circle...

    Try taking flash shots in a dusty area and you'll find lots of circles or spots on your pictures.

    Supernatural forums all over the web claims that these circles are actually ghost orbs... but an experience photographer will tell you that it is due to dust particles in the air.
    No, I did not use any flash. But anyway Thanks for your advise, in case I will take shot in a dusty area, then I will know where "ghost" come from...

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    SengKang, Singapore
    Posts
    212

    Default Re: How to remove circle of light in night shots?

    Quote Originally Posted by scenar View Post
    hey, do u mean the GREEN circle in the left hand side? that is most likely lens flare.
    Use the provided lens hood and try point your lens away from light sources close by.
    OK, I try using lens hood.... As I always though LenHoods are for daylight only

  8. #8

    Default Re: How to remove circle of light in night shots?

    Quote Originally Posted by eagletay View Post
    OK, I try using lens hood.... As I always though LenHoods are for daylight only
    if there is a lamp post above u, they might also contribute to lens flare!

    i don't know if HDR works at night anot.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: How to remove circle of light in night shots?

    could be some water droplets/dust on your front element or filter...

  10. #10
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    @ AMK
    Posts
    2,616

    Default Re: How to remove circle of light in night shots?

    err...are you talking about the green circle??

    btw...you have a filter attached?

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Central West
    Posts
    1,952

    Default Re: How to remove circle of light in night shots?

    Do you have a filter on the front of your lens ? If you do, then take it off as that is the most likely cause (also, use the lens hood at all times)

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Volcano Land
    Posts
    2,351

    Default Re: How to remove circle of light in night shots?

    A good filter with multi-coat would have less tendency to flare and ghosting... if you're using a $10 uv filter, then I suggest you not use it at all.

    But then again, it boils down to the photog. Understand how light sources can cause ghosting/flaring, and you will naturally choose a position and angle that would avoid it (if possible). Because ultimately, whatever lens, filter etc, shooting into the light would almost guarantee it happening.

  13. #13

    Default Re: How to remove circle of light in night shots?

    lens hood can be use to prevent excess light for getting in as well.

    cheers.

  14. #14

    Default Re: How to remove circle of light in night shots?

    If you're talking about the green ball, it doesn't look like a droplet. More like lens flare from another light source near you. Agree with the suggestions of using the lens hood and see if you still get this problem. Also, get a better filter if you're just using cheap single coated/non-coated ones.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore; Bishan
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: How to remove circle of light in night shots?

    Well this is what I found out.

    I took a shot on a flight of stair one time without rain and it was perfect. I took a shot on the same particular flight of stair another time with rain (it was really nice looking and the flood flow down the stair), and I found those circles in the picture. I concluded, it's water.

  16. #16

    Default Re: How to remove circle of light in night shots?

    if lens hood still cant solve it...use ur hand too or news paper or something else to block the light. i do that too sometime

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: How to remove circle of light in night shots?

    Quote Originally Posted by digisnap View Post
    If you're talking about the green ball, it doesn't look like a droplet. More like lens flare from another light source near you. Agree with the suggestions of using the lens hood and see if you still get this problem. Also, get a better filter if you're just using cheap single coated/non-coated ones.
    even with a best coated filter and best flare-resistance lens. a single water droplet on the filter could easily cause flare.

  18. #18
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    @ AMK
    Posts
    2,616

    Default Re: How to remove circle of light in night shots?

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    even with a best coated filter and best flare-resistance lens. a single water droplet on the filter could easily cause flare.
    agreed...

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    SengKang, Singapore
    Posts
    212

    Default Re: How to remove circle of light in night shots?

    Quote Originally Posted by digisnap View Post
    Also, get a better filter if you're just using cheap single coated/non-coated ones.
    I'm using a Tokina UV filter....is this good enough???
    Any 'cheap' filter to recommed?
    Last edited by eagletay; 2nd January 2007 at 11:04 PM.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: How to remove circle of light in night shots?

    Quote Originally Posted by eagletay View Post
    I'm using a Tokina UV filter....is this good enough???
    Any 'cheap' filter to recommed?
    Try Hoya HMC. Ain't as good as Nikon NC & B+W, but price is hard to beat for that quality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •