Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you store the camera body and lens apart when not in use?

Default Do you store the camera body and lens apart when not in use?

Hi, I was wondering if it is ok to keep the lens attached to the camera body instead of taking it off when finish shooting and putting it on again when needed. Will the putting on and taking off wear the lens and camera body connectors? Currently I only own one lens (18-200mm VR) and one D200 body. Any one can recommend what camera bag has good cushioning and spacious enough to keep the camera w/o taking out the lens?

Default Re: Do you store the camera body and lens apart when not in use?

Quote Originally Posted by jazman77 View Post
    Hi, I was wondering if it is ok to keep the lens attached to the camera body instead of taking it off when finish shooting and putting it on again when needed. Will the putting on and taking off wear the lens and camera body connectors? Currently I only own one lens (18-200mm VR) and one D200 body. Any one can recommend what camera bag has good cushioning and spacious enough to keep the camera w/o taking out the lens?
    Leave it on... Just get a bigger bag with good paddings.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

yes , all in a electric dry cabinet.. !

I would leave it on. Especially if you have only one lens. Just put everything into your dry box after a shoot.

For a bag, there are good small size bags by Lowepro. Lots of models to chose from depending on your preference. You can get them from Funan or the building beside Funan

Hi jazman77,

I see you bought the D200 after all

Nah, I won't bother taking the lens off if I were you. Not much point to remove the lens except when changing lenses or cleaning the camera. Less dust can get in that way.

Just remember to store your kit in a dry cabinet or equivalent medium to prevent fungus infestation.

Agree with digisnap, lots of places where you can find LowePro bags.

Happy shooting

Bernard

I always leave lens on camera.

But its always a different lens on the camera..

So i guess the wear and tear is no issue

i never thought of wear and tear on the camera as an issue. hhmmmm.... but i just leave it on. doesn't everyone?

haha.. i was wondering the same question when i started off as well.

it may seem neater to keep everything apart, but as the others said, it's much more practical to leave the lens on.

i kinda jus decided to put everything back as it is after awhile. haha..

regards,
    jizeng

The last lens used will stay with the cam until I need to change. Apart from convenience, and reduced wear and tear, it also reduces chances of dust getting into the cam!

Blog Entries

This discussion is not confined to one brand alone. Thread moved

I tend to keep the body and lens apart in a dry cab. However, all the talk about wear n tear seems to make sense. I think I will switch to keeping my 18-200 VR on the body the next time I store my gear! As for your question regarding a bag to contain just your D200 and 18-200VR, I'd go with the Lowepro Topload Zoom mini or Topload Zoom 1 should do nicely.

Sorry to use your thread but whats the set backs of not storing your camera in a dry box? besides fungus infection? thank you.

i removed due to space constraint. lots of funny stuff in my dry cabi. LOL

i put them apart the moment i store them in my bag
    eat. drink. shoot

I keep my main lens on. So that I don't have to mess with lens caps if I have to take the camera out in a hurry.
    5D MII w/16-35L,Sigma 28-70&Nikkors(35f2,85f1.4,105f2.5,180f2.8ED)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSurfer66 View Post
    I tend to keep the body and lens apart in a dry cab. However, all the talk about wear n tear seems to make sense. I think I will switch to keeping my 18-200 VR on the body the next time I store my gear! As for your question regarding a bag to contain just your D200 and 18-200VR, I'd go with the Lowepro Topload Zoom mini or Topload Zoom 1 should do nicely.

topload series does leave u mcuh of other space for other lens nor flash . miniumum space for those bag ..
    the 200 series is a better choice..
    http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Shou...er_200_AW.aspx

since you have only one lens..leave it on. until u buy another lens

recommend lowepro bags eg 300aw reporter

Since you have only one lens, keep it on. This will keep dust away from the sensor.

I'm not worried about wear and tear of lens connector, although I'm using Canon. Maybe Nikon is too fragile to be called an interchangeable lens SLR system.

I'm more concerned about dust getting inside the camera. The less you take lens off the camera, the less dust you get on the sensor.
    Last edited by Hitz; 4th January 2007 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitz View Post
    Since you have only one lens, keep it on. This will keep dust away from the sensor.

I'm not worried about wear and tear of lens connector, although I'm using Canon. Maybe Nikon is too fragile to be called an interchangeable lens SLR system.

I'm more concerned about dust getting inside the camera. The less you take lens off the camera, the less dust you get on the sensor.
    No, the F mount isn't as fragile as people think it to be. It has been around longer than the EF mount. I am also quite aggressive when changing lens because I like to minimize the 'unmounted' duration to reduce dust. In fact, I find that the old Canon FD mount is more fragile. EF mount is ok but I'm not used to turning in the opposite direction so I'm sticking to Nikon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitz View Post

what makes you think that nikon is too fragile? any experience in the whole mount tearing out from the camera? or anything that is heavily damage?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast