Thread: Anyone using Ipod as storage?

Default Anyone using Ipod as storage?

Hi, anyone using Ipod(photo/video etc) as storage device for photos? ie. transfer from SD/CF/camera to Ipod. I saw that Apple makes a camera connector that lets u hook up the camera to the ipod. However, the link below does not indicate the newer cameras like D80/D200/D70 etc. Anyone can confirm if it works?
    http://www.apple.com/ipod/compatibil...connector.html

Default Re: Anyone using Ipod as storage?

Quote Originally Posted by imrog View Post
    Hi, anyone using Ipod(photo/video etc) as storage device for photos? ie. transfer from SD/CF/camera to Ipod. I saw that Apple makes a camera connector that lets u hook up the camera to the ipod. However, the link below does not indicate the newer cameras like D80/D200/D70 etc. Anyone can confirm if it works?
    http://www.apple.com/ipod/compatibil...connector.html

I have been using one on my D70 for about a year now. It is kinda slow compared to other devices you can use to backup your pictures from your DSLR. SO I use it only at night when I am on holiday in a hotel. It works with the usual USB protocol like Mass Storage, PTP, and Type 4. It works with any IPod that has colour display and the latest video ipod.

I will jack it in and let it upload to my Ipod Photo while I go out to eat dinner or am sleeping. It has never failed me once. For SDG59 for the connector...well you can't really complain much.

Uploading will drain your ipod and your dslr though..so make sure you have enough juice on your Ipod especially. It can drain more then half your juice on just uploading one 1 gig worth of pictures heh. ALso there is one funny thing I discover with this ipod connector, it works with my older USB1.0 cardreader and can be attached to one to download! But with the newer USB 2.0 card reader it does not work!
    Last edited by sammy888; 31st December 2006 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    I have been using one on my D70 for about a year now. It is kinda slow compared to other devices you can use to backup your pictures from your DSLR. SO I use it only at night when I am on holiday in a hotel. It works with the usual USB protocol like Mass Storage, PTP, and Type 4. It works with any IPod that has colour display and the latest video ipod.

I will jack it in and let it upload to my Ipod Photo while I go out to eat dinner or am sleeping. It has never failed me once. For SDG59 for the connector...well you can't really complain much.

Uploading will drain your ipod and your dslr though..so make sure you have enough juice on your Ipod especially. It can drain more then half your juice on just uploading one 1 gig worth of pictures heh. ALso there is one funny thing I discover with this ipod connector, it works with my non USB2.0 cardreader and can be attached to one to download! But with the newer USB 2.0 card reader it does not work!
    hmmmm. how do you retrive the photos out of the ipod then? i'm using a 4th gen ipod photo now. sounds interesting...

PS : after seeing your edited part, i'm not going to get this already -.- draining too much battery outta my ipod. i rather get more memory cards this way.
    Last edited by Koelsch; 31st December 2006 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koelsch View Post
    hmmmm. how do you retrive the photos out of the ipod then? i'm using a 4th gen ipod photo now. sounds interesting...

PS : after seeing your edited part, i'm not going to get this already -.- draining too much battery outta my ipod. i rather get more memory cards this way.
    Spot on but in case of any emergency well...it does it's job for me. There were times when I ran out of memory card space! heheh I have 6 gig of cards but well...there are those times when you just keep firing away and over stayed on trips or session and it comes in handy in some ways. These day I use my ultra light Sony notebook ( guess it is the next smallest portable thing to use as back up when on the road) for that job mainly but it is always nice to know I have something in reserve if need be. Having more memory cards does do the job for you as I see it too. Yo have to understand that back a year ago, memory cards cost a hell of a lot more! hehe..I recall not too long ago I paid $300 for a one gig card!. These days..you can get a 2gig CF 50X for about $57.90!!!

Btw...as for uploaing it out of the Ipod..not a problem...just set your ipod to act as a HDD from your intune preference and you are set to go.
    Last edited by sammy888; 31st December 2006 at 10:52 PM.

i am using an ipod photo with my d70s as well.

Thanks Sammy888, guess I'll have to think of it as a backup plan. Still better to bring the laptop along... Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Spot on but in case of any emergency well...it does it's job for me. There were times when I ran out of memory card space! heheh I have 6 gig of cards but well...there are those times when you just keep firing away and over stayed on trips or session and it comes in handy in some ways. These day I use my ultra light Sony notebook for that job mainly but it is always nice to know I have something in reserve if need be. Having more memory cards does do the job for you as I see it too. Yo have to understand that back a year ago, memory cards cost a hell of a lot more! hehe..I recall not too long ago I paid $300 for a one gig card!. These days..you can get a 2gig CF 50X for about $57.90!!!

Btw...as for uploaing it out of the Ipod..not a problem...just set your ipod to act as a HDD from your intune preference and you are set to go.
    that's why you already said it. i rather get more cf cards this way, music is a really darn important to me! i rather sacrifice bringing out another hdd or something or photoviewer or lappy in future if i ever go on future trips. thanks for the headsup bro