Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Next upgrade after A40?

  1. #1

    Default Next upgrade after A40?

    Planning to do an upgrade from my A40.
    Feel that A40 is quite limited in some aspects.
    What the next best upgrade after the A40?
    Price budget at $1500

  2. #2

    Default

    Perhaps a list of the things you are looking for in the upgrade will be helpful.




  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Behind a lens
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    A40 is a decent camera. Perhaps you can also list the function that let you down.

  4. #4

    Default

    I actually find that the A40 can't take very sharp pictures at night, or when there's insufficient lighting.


    I dunno, any logical upgrades after a40?

  5. #5

    Default

    Originally posted by Giantnookie
    I actually find that the A40 can't take very sharp pictures at night, or when there's insufficient lighting.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Riddle Realms
    Posts
    5,688

    Default

    ok.. lets see...

    Megapixel count?
    Budget?
    Zoom factor?
    Any particular band?
    AF speed?
    Night shots importany?

    Let us know what you are looking for in a new camera after you A40 and we'll take it from there.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

  7. #7

    Default

    Canon G2 or G3. Budget fits, needs fit.

  8. #8

    Default

    yeah..i was actually looking at the canon G3.

    But several questions.
    Are the batts long lasting?
    How much for extras?

    Filters, lens etc.

    paiseh lah, me actually very suaku one.

    What are the pros and cons of the G3?

    Thanx.

  9. #9

    Default

    Originally posted by Giantnookie
    yeah..i was actually looking at the canon G3.

    But several questions.
    Are the batts long lasting?
    How much for extras?

    Filters, lens etc.

    paiseh lah, me actually very suaku one.

    What are the pros and cons of the G3?

    Thanx.
    I am not a G3 owner but I have looked at G3 during my search for a prosumer. The more compelling features of G3 IMO is:

    1. eTTL flash
    2. Relatively noiseless night shots
    3. Swivel LCD

    One of the cons IMO is that part of the optical viewfinder is blocked by the lens adaptor and the barrel.

    If you need for information, I suggest you read the review at dpreview.com.

  10. #10

    Default

    Originally posted by Newbie123


    I am not a G3 owner but I have looked at G3 during my search for a prosumer. The more compelling features of G3 IMO is:

    1. eTTL flash
    2. Relatively noiseless night shots
    3. Swivel LCD

    One of the cons IMO is that part of the optical viewfinder is blocked by the lens adaptor and the barrel.

    If you need for information, I suggest you read the review at dpreview.com.
    thanx dude.
    im aiming for the 602 now.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore bo gway hai!
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Originally posted by Giantnookie


    thanx dude.
    im aiming for the 602 now.

    wolfgang haven even start his promo u aiming already?

    This is a easy defection from canon to fuji.....heheh

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    897

    Default

    Originally posted by Giantnookie
    yeah..i was actually looking at the canon G3.

    But several questions.
    Are the batts long lasting?
    How much for extras?

    Filters, lens etc.

    What are the pros and cons of the G3?

    Thanx.
    Batts long lasting for me. IF buy compatible, ~$40.

    There is lens tube at 52/58mm thread so you can put any 52/58mm filters you want. WC and TC also got.

    Pro is take very good photo with a lot of control.

    Con is build quality is lousy and it is diff to hold compare to Oly C5050. A lot of noise at ISO400 without flash.

    Hope this help.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Riddle Realms
    Posts
    5,688

    Default

    Originally posted by Revo



    wolfgang haven even start his promo u aiming already?

    This is a easy defection from canon to fuji.....heheh
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Under your skin
    Posts
    533

    Default

    hmm.. other than megapixels and zoom factor, is a G3 or 602 necessarily a much better camera than say the A40?

    are you hitting major limitations on the A40 - other than while taking night shots?

    is it worth the extra $600+ (assuming you'll be able to sell ye A40 at $300+) or so just to take night shots.. hmm... interesting..

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,828

    Default

    i upgraded from an A40 to a 602, BIG difference.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Johore Bahru, Malaysia
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Nookie,

    wahh..... yesterday afternoon told me ur budget 1k now expended to 1.5k ar????

    LOL.....

    sorry,man. Last nite i slept pretty early so din't meet u online.

    My recomendation ?

    BUY BUY BUY!!!!!

  17. #17

    Default

    Originally posted by roon2c
    Nookie,

    wahh..... yesterday afternoon told me ur budget 1k now expended to 1.5k ar????

    LOL.....

    sorry,man. Last nite i slept pretty early so din't meet u online.

    My recomendation ?

    BUY BUY BUY!!!!!
    hehe
    its ok dude
    i got home ard 2am
    well, just thinking.
    got an offer for a 2nd hand 602 @ $900.
    Not sure if its worth it though.

  18. #18

    Default

    Originally posted by rochkoh
    hmm.. other than megapixels and zoom factor, is a G3 or 602 necessarily a much better camera than say the A40?

    are you hitting major limitations on the A40 - other than while taking night shots?

    is it worth the extra $600+ (assuming you'll be able to sell ye A40 at $300+) or so just to take night shots.. hmm... interesting..
    I don't really like the feel of the A40 as i've got big hands.
    I find the images arent really that sharp for my liking.
    As for the settings and functions, i find them quite limited.


    Perhaps i'm just a newbie, seeking new toys.

    I guess my A40 might fetch at least $350, given that its only 2 weeks old, and i would't need the canon original pounch and lens cap as well.

  19. #19

    Default

    I find the A40 plenty sharp. In fact most current generation cameras are pretty competent. Perhaps you can tweak the sharpening in post processing, or you can set the sharpening level higher?

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Johore Bahru, Malaysia
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Originally posted by Giantnookie


    hehe
    its ok dude
    i got home ard 2am
    well, just thinking.
    got an offer for a 2nd hand 602 @ $900.
    Not sure if its worth it though.

    Err.... unless the offer for the 602 comes wif accessories, @ SGD 900 I think u might as well get a new one it cost SGD 150 more for the extra warranty. Like i told u in the irc, someone bought a new 602 at SGD 1050.

    Well, the choice is up to u.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •