Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you think PR contribute to Singapore development ?

Default Re: Do you think PR contribute to Singapore development ?

Quote Originally Posted by freefall7 View Post
    I have been residing in Singapore for 12 years. I received my early education in my country but guess I wasn't good enough to enter a local university. So, I came to Singapore and was very grateful to be accepted by NTU. And now I am a PR. I just somehow feel that my country should have done more to retain workforce. I was born and raised in my country, going to the heavily subsidised government school for a good 12 years, but yet at the end, I become part of the workforce in another country. Paying tax to another country. Frankly, I dun see how I will be able to contribute to my country when I am in Singapore. Anyway, I am grateful for the chance given to me to study here. And yes, in fact, the "Gabermen" is the main reason for me to stay put here.

ask u an honest question : if a war breaks out between your ex-country and current country, which side will u fight for ? or will u stay netural and run away ?
    Last edited by raincool2005; 2nd January 2007 at 12:08 AM.

Default Do you think PR contribute to Singapore development ?

For those whose fathers are the first or second generation here feel deeply inside they are the so call Right Citizen here , it's is during the time of their father and themself who put their best for this country to make this country so wonderful , oh ya you could say it is the Gov. but sometime doesn't it sound %*(*(&it..... . Personally I feel that they took the credit too much which really bored me .
    They supply Singapore with many things but also make may wonderful things missing .

Just sharing !!!!!

Regards

make many things missing is what i meant

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    ask u an honest question : if a war breaks out between your ex-country and current country, which side will u fight for ? or will u stay netural and run away ? :

sweat:
    Honestly, it has not come across my mind before. I guess I will stay neutral. I might not be fighting but I guess I won't run away.

Btw, does a PR who dun fight for your country do not countribute to Singapore development ? (coz I guess this is more on what has been discussed here)

ask u an honest question : if a war breaks out between your ex-country and current country, which side will u fight for ? or will u stay netural and run away ?
    If a war breaks out, will u be fiercely loyal to defend your country? Or would u migrate somewhere else?

Loyalty needs to be proven.
    Flickr Me! :: Nikon D80 :: Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC MACRO

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Question to you, can you take everything on the resume for granted? Or are you taking everything on the resume for granted?

I really do not care what a job applicant had achieved. Future successes are what I am looking for in a job applicant. Past performances and achievements are not necessarily the best indication of the future. They are definately part of the equation, but not definative.

This is especially true with more junior applicants.

You haven't reply my question.
    How you judge a person "lazy" during the interview?

You can only judge an employee lazy after s/he commences work.

So the next logical thing to judge a person's peformance is his/her resume.
    No doubt one can't take resume as everything
    but
    at least a resume is the very least benchmark to judge his/her capabilities.
    Not equating but definitely relative.

Bsides, a resume is to help to filter/assess ones performance.

That is why Probation period is the period to judge a person's working attitude.
    You can only judge an employee lazy or hardworking during probation period
    and not interview. Isn't it?

I'm not here to challenge your views but trying to understand it.
    Just find it odd when you said you will hire a PR over a lazy Singaporean.

Last edited by Deceased; 2nd January 2007 at 12:26 AM.

Honestly, it has not come across my mind before. I guess I will stay neutral. I might not be fighting but I guess I won't run away.

Btw, does a PR who dun fight for your country do not countribute to Singapore development ? (coz I guess this is more on what has been discussed here)
    why do u think national defence does not contribute development ? with peace kept, the people are able to work in peace and economy is able to function well. In fact, it determines the death or life of a nation's future.

No Nation means No Family & Future !

never come across your mind ? stay netural ? so should war happen, citizens will fight while u stay netural ? and when war is over, u back to one side ?

Quote Originally Posted by look4raymond View Post
    If a war breaks out, will u be fiercely loyal to defend your country? Or would u migrate somewhere else?
    Loyalty needs to be proven.

Such question is meaningless.

Any forummer can be an internet hero and claims s/he will defend, die for Singapore regardless s/he is a PR or citizen.

When a PR feels deeply for this county, s/he should jolly well convert to citizenship if s/he is eligible for the citizenship status.

Unless,

they feel they need a few more years to settle down and see this country is suitable for them.

To answer this thread.
    Obviously PRs do contribute to Singapore in terms of economical sense.
    (look at the ernomous intake of PRC students in our tertiary schools)
    but
    how to retain those talented PRs and convert to citizenship is another question.

Let's not kid ourselves, some PRs are here for hibernating period.
    Their final stop will be somewhere in the west or back to their own countries.

So be it.

If UK or States have such scheme, I think Singaporeans will do the same too.

why do u think national defence does not contribute development ? with peace kept, the people are able to work in peace and economy is able to function well. In fact, it determines the death or life of a nation's future.

No Nation means No Family & Future !

never come across your mind ? stay netural ? so should war happen, citizens will fight while u stay netural ? and when war is over, u back to one side ?

It would say, it won't be easy when you have family in both country.
    Anyway, I first posted in this thread is just to say I was draw to reside in this country because I have confidence in the country run by an efficient government. My opinion is that citizen should be grateful. And I do feel that my country should have done more to retain outflow of workforce.
    I never compared my contribution to one of a citizen. Nor do I mentioned I want those benefit reserve for citizen. Why are you asking me such question ? Is to be a PR also mean you are ready to fight a war ?

I never compared my contribution to one of a citizen. Nor do I mentioned I want those benefit reserve for citizen. Why are you asking me such question ? Is to be a PR also mean you are ready to fight a war ?

Asking a question "Do you think PR contribute to Singapore development?" like this will draw sparks from one another.

Singapore is made up of different races.
    and now foreigners from different countries.

Obviously Singaporeans will feel the tension.

Any citizens in any countries will feel the same.

Singaporeans will differentiate themselves with foreigners,
    next will be
    Singaporeans differentiate themselves with races,
    next will be
    Singaporeans differentitiate themselves with religions.

It happens in the past, it happens at present...and it gonna happens in future.

That why you see civil wars, "religion" wars all over the world.
    Because they just can't see things in the same perspective nor they understand one another.

Point taken.

I concur with you that a resume is relative to a person's capabilities, hence the need for a interview.

Let me re-phrase my original question .... if you are a hiring employer and you have only 2 candidates. A PR who arrived on time, possess immaculate articulation skills, shows proficiency in relation to the job requirements, etc. The Singaporean who comes in late, cursing and swearing (for being late), boasts of non-existence referrals etc. Who will you hire?

Before I get flamed for painting such a ugly picture of Singaporeans, I state the following :
    1) I'm a Singaporean myself
    2) Seen quite a few "amazing" singaporean interviewees/colleagues

If the above scenario is reversed (i.e PR comes in late, etc - See above), I will not hesitate to hire the Singaporean if he is suitable for the job. I've nothing against my fella countrymen, I just believe in equality. cheers~!

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade05 View Post
    Let me re-phrase my original question .... if you are a hiring employer and you have only 2 candidates. A PR who arrived on time, possess immaculate articulation skills, shows proficiency in relation to the job requirements, etc. The Singaporean who comes in late, cursing and swearing (for being late), boasts of non-existence referrals etc. Who will you hire?

The answer is obvious...but Ahhh...depends also.
    If that horrible Singaporean happens to be my client's son, we still have to hire this horrible singaporean.

Just to relate this real incident.
    Used to know one MNC hiring a client's son to work in the company.
    The son is neither talented nor hardworking.
    But relationship is the key.

And I pitied those hopeful, talented applicants......for they will be wondering...
    "Why i can't get in ah??"

Sometimes it is NOT what you know that matters....it is WHO you knows is more important.

Quote Originally Posted by Deceased View Post
    The answer is obvious...but Ahhh...depends also.
    If that horrible Singaporean happens to be my client's son, we still have to hire this horrible singaporean.

Just to relate this real incident.
    Used to know one MNC hiring a client's son to work in the company.
    The son is neither talented nor hardworking.
    But relationship is the key.

And I pitied those hopeful, talented applicants......for they will be wondering...
    "Why i can't get in ah??"

Sometimes it is NOT what you know that matters....it is WHO you knows is more important.

Not all companies will do that. My current company does not practise it.

It's good to know "Who you know" but at the end of the day, if he does not perform he will still get axe.

My ex-company was a good example. Hire one of my ex-colleague relatives (local). Came late for interview, late on the second day of work, complain pay too low and lousy benefits. Did not perform up to par, got axe after his first pay check.

Hi Folks !!!! Please Relax !!!!

We might loose the contact of this issue somehow !! Relax Relax !!

Citizen have to understand during wars I think no body fight well better than ourselve !!!

And PR have to understand why Citizen have to take stand during difficult time , it's just part of our love to this nation !!

Everyone mean well but no one would like to fight with blood shed .....

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades View Post
    My ex-company was a good example. Hire one of my ex-colleague relatives (local). Came late for interview, late on the second day of work, complain pay too low and lousy benefits. Did not perform up to par, got axe after his first pay check.
    Different mah.

Your ex company hired your ex-colleagues relative and that doesn't benefit to the company.
    That particular MNC hired its client's son

Cannot work also nebermind lah, so long can retain the client's billings annually.

Imagine getting million of dollars profit from this client and wasted only a few k for this unproductive employee, is still worth it.

I was really surprised that this MNC actually do that to retain client.
    but then again
    nothing to surprise about when comes to dollars and cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Free Agent View Post
    Everyone mean well but no one would like to fight with blood shed .....

Don't worry, nothing will happen in Singapore.
    Our citizens only knows how to talk and this is what we good at.

talking about scholarships.. hey ! they are scholarships given to foreign students to study in local Uni.
    Yes, but they have much tougher conditions compared to the locals with longer bond periods.

I'm a foreigner studying in NUS and was happy to study as I mananged to get a place in NUS with (barely) affordable tuition fees, although I have to serve a 3 year bond. Now the government wants to increase the fees, my family and I is just worried whether I can stay on or not. If I leave I've violated the contract and have to pay compensation, forcing us to a dead end. As for applying for PR, I don't think I'm qualified to apply for one yet. What can I do? To me, year 2007 looks like a challenging year for me...

I think that foreign students to contribute to Singapore, as least the university students. They applied for their places with excellent results and almost all of them will be using their talent to serve Singapore for a few years at least.

True, foreigners and PRs should not deserve as much privileges but then what about those who are stuck here like me? They have no choice but to stay on and there is no one to give us a helping hand!

My 2 cents....

Quote Originally Posted by sc360 View Post
    Yes, but they have much tougher conditions compared to the locals with longer bond periods.

I'm a foreigner studying in NUS and was happy to study as I mananged to get a place in NUS with (barely) affordable tuition fees, although I have to serve a 3 year bond. Now the government wants to increase the fees, my family and I is just worried whether I can stay on or not. If I leave I've violated the contract and have to pay compensation, forcing us to a dead end. As for applying for PR, I don't think I'm qualified to apply for one yet. What can I do? To me, year 2007 looks like a challenging year for me...

I think that foreign students to contribute to Singapore, as least the university students. They applied for their places with excellent results and almost all of them will be using their talent to serve Singapore for a few years at least.

True, foreigners and PRs should not deserve as much privileges but then what about those who are stuck here like me? They have no choice but to stay on and there is no one to give us a helping hand!

My 2 cents....
    hi.. if u faced problems, do seek help from NUS. I am sure u will get much help.

this is what i dun like about the recent changes.. people (locals or foreigners) dun have a large bank account to cater any sudden suprise increase ! let the increase impose on the new intakes of students.. didn't they do some research before deciding it ?

jpesing
    Guests

BE A REALIST, MAN! Don't act like what most locals do.

WAR will never happen in this region. We are a bunch of compromise-dealing people. Doom sayers like the military tactician do believe that a war is forthcoming, whew. Just to support their big-boys ego. If ever WAR brokes out (in this region, heh, just the heck of this), it would be like a MAJOR CATASTHROPE.
    You think, locals have the tenacity to see their fellow bathe in BLOOD. Gross! Who among you have seen a person, or people laying down DEAD on the road with blood gushing all over his/her body. Nah. Extremely gross!!. You might be fainted.

I say it again, THERE WILL NEVER BE WAR IN THIS REGION. Yes, terrorism maybe. Partly blame the Americans, esp Pres. Bush.

Excessive expenses in preparation for war is a total waste of money.

I believe in NS to make our young guns phyically fit. It should not be the point of becoming or not becoming a PR, citizen or simply aboung serving our dear Singapore.

When it comes to war, let's look at it another way: if a Singaporean is a PR in, say, Switzerland, and has been there for 10 years, with wife and children (all Singaporeans). A war break out in Singapore. Will the PR dump everything he has in Switzerland, fly home and defend his country even before the SAF calls him? Now let's say Switzerland is under attack and his home is close to the front line, will he not take up arms and defend his home (and indirectly Switzerland). Surely he can pull out by flying off, but seriously, do you REALLY defend your country or what is dear to you? I don't ask these questions to stir loyalty or patriotism, I ask them because I ask myself. I am Malaysian in Singapore, and as long as my family and home is here, I would do all I can to defend 'here'. Being PR has nothing to do with that. And if it is a war between Malaysia and Singapore, well, I'll have to choose, right? To return to M or to fight for S, which means becoming a citizen since no country will accept a known traitor. When the time comes, I'll choose.

And regarding contributions, I will venture to flog the dead horse yet once again, just imagine if all the PR's (Malaysians, Chinese, Japanese, Indonesians, Western, Middle-Eastern, whatever) pulls out within a year, with all holdings and properties and all businesses, can Singapore still stand? I am sure that the contributions by PRs cannot be taken lightly. PR's pay taxes, contribute to the CPF, buys real estate, and all these without discounts, subsidies, or progress bonus. Not saying that PR's are treated good or bad, but certainly, PR's contribute to Singapore. The fact that the Singaporean taxi driver says "thanks" when I pay him tells me that a PR is contributing

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast