Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you think PR contribute to Singapore development ?

Default Re: Do you think PR contribute to Singapore development ?

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade05 View Post
    It's not about nationality/status, it's about attitude.
    Yeah its really abt the attitude.

Seeing this statement reminded me of an interview I once conducted of a fresh grad (i shall not mention nationality). This guy came for a job interview with his girlfriend!! The office is in Tuas area (hot and dusty place) and the guy even ask the girl to just wait under the hot and dusty conditions... pls remember that interviews can take anywhere between 1/2-2hrs or even more! He even had the audacity to say "I will call you about the job"...

Would you hire this guy? Even if he is president scholar, I think most companies would shoot him down just for bringing the girlfriend along for interview.... It is really about the attitude!

Quote Originally Posted by redzzz View Post
    Yeah its really abt the attitude.

Seeing this statement reminded me of an interview I once conducted of a fresh grad (i shall not mention nationality). This guy came for a job interview with his girlfriend!! The office is in Tuas area (hot and dusty place) and the guy even ask the girl to just wait under the hot and dusty conditions... pls remember that interviews can take anywhere between 1/2-2hrs or even more! He even had the audacity to say "I will call you about the job"...

Would you hire this guy? Even if he is president scholar, I think most companies would shoot him down just for bringing the girlfriend along for interview.... It is really about the attitude!

let me tell u my experience..

2 years back i went for a "walk-in" interview at Swiss Hotel. It was a Sunday.. and i decided to go there early so that i could go back early. The interview started at 9am but guess what i saw.. the place was filled with foreigners as early as 8am and they are smartly dressed in shirts and ties... i looked around and realised i was the only local chinese guy ! there is no Singaporean other than me ! so i proceed to sign up the interview and waited..till about 10am.

as hours passed .. i went thru the interviews.. and i still found no Singaporeans other than the interviewers themselves. I was starting to feel uneasy... did i apply the wrong job ? maybe it was an overseas positing ?

finally.. i completed all interviews and was told to wait in a certain lobby.. and guess what i saw from a far.. a young guy in t-shirt and jeans.. signing up for interview at 1pm ! he was yawning as he strolled into the waiting hall.. and his phone ring aloud like no business.

thru this experience.. i came to see the difference in hunger and fight for job survival between foreigners and locals.. and the attitude !... tat chap was in jeans and tees plus a phone ringing during an interview.. ! came at 1pm .. yawning somemore.. oh mine ! gone case liao.

Last edited by raincool2005; 31st December 2006 at 12:41 AM.

Default Do you think PR contribute to Singapore development ?

Yes !
    Work related competition from PR and Local will always be there , everyone would prefer they themself to be the number one .

Every one in their own work circle is important , just image when a car doesn't have any wheels do you think it can be driven.
    When we talk about work , employee is resposible for different duties given by boss and when work force is consider for the economic growth every indivdual who earn a salary is responsible to it , whether PR or Citizen , they contribute to this society .
    My question is this , can this Gov. review about this PR policy, can they just don't use a line that send two into different treatment, can they make it a point to aknowledge PR with special contribution ??(Example PR having a Singaporean Born Children)

Regards

PRs are definately contributing to the development of Singapore.

Why?

If PR are not contributing, why would the Singaporean Government continue to let more PR into the country? Why would the Singaporean Government continue to recruit more people to become PR?

Just imagine, all of the PRs and foreign workers are to leave Singapore. Singapore will loose abut 25% of its population. Do you think Singapore will survive such a shock to it's workforce and economy?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deceased View Post
    How you judge a singaporean "lazy" during the interview?

I will judge who has achieve more from their resumes.

Question to you, can you take everything on the resume for granted? Or are you taking everything on the resume for granted?

I sure hope you are not a hiring manager!

I really do not care what a job applicant had achieved. Future successes are what I am looking for in a job applicant. Past performances and achievements are not necessarily the best indication of the future. They are definately part of the equation, but not definative. This is especially true with more junior applicants.

For those new grads, what they did in school revealed very little how they might perform in the future.
    Last edited by Deadpoet; 31st December 2006 at 08:28 AM.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Question to you, can you take everything on the resume for granted? Or are you taking everything on the resume for granted?

I sure hope you are not a hiring manager!

I really do not care what a job applicant had achieved. Future successes are what I am looking for in a job applicant. Past performances and achievements are not necessarily the best indication of the future. They are definately part of the equation, but not definative. This is especially true with more junior applicants.

For those new grads, what they did in school revealed very little how they might perform in the future.
    Had that experience with my company. This local guy came for an interview and had great resume with all the relevant experiences. We all thought he was "The ONE" that could drive the company......but to our despair, it was certaninly not. He was late on his first day of work, within a month a chalk up 7 days of MC, took emergency leaves......and so on.

At the end of his probation, my boss decided to let him go. Guess what he said to my boss? "It's your loss that you decided not to hire me!"

Haha.....this is one of our top 10 company jokes for this year.....

PR do contribute to singapore's growth but the question is 'are they loyal to singapore?' do they see singapore as their 'Home' ? Some PR worked here but eventually clean his back side & went back kampong.

Quote Originally Posted by StudioFever View Post
    PR do contribute to singapore's growth but the question is 'are they loyal to singapore?' do they see singapore as their 'Home' ? Some PR worked here but eventually clean his back side & went back kampong.
    Loyalty is a serious word, and according to your definaton, alot of the PR will never qualify. However, while they were here, did you contribute, did they pay their fair share, did they help build this society? I would say, as a group, they do. So, what if they want to go back home one day, should society therefore shun them because they want to go home?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by StudioFever View Post
    I think this does not happen in Singapore only.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades View Post
    Had that experience with my company. This local guy came for an interview and had great resume with all the relevant experiences. We all thought he was "The ONE" that could drive the company......but to our despair, it was certaninly not. He was late on his first day of work, within a month a chalk up 7 days of MC, took emergency leaves......and so on.

At the end of his probation, my boss decided to let him go. Guess what he said to my boss? "It's your loss that you decided not to hire me!"

Haha.....this is one of our top 10 company jokes for this year.....
    haha..so his nick is MC King ?

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    haha..so his nick is MC King ?
    Actually he is not the MC KING......haha. He still cannot beat another ex collleague (Singaporean) of mine who is REALLY the mother of MC KING........One month with 14 days MC (totally used up within one month). Got fired after that.....haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Deceased View Post
    Less Pay
    No NS or Reservist liability,
    No need pay CPF contribution depending on working pass.

PRs are not liable for reservice? I didn't know that..

Quote Originally Posted by lypklypk View Post
    PRs are not liable for reservice? I didn't know that..
    Deceased is referring to those adults (18+) who came to SG to work and became a PR. They're not required to take/serve NS.

:Later,

Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    PR contributes to singapore development - yes..
    but dun contribute to welfare of citizens..
    Do you have any proof to back this statement/claim?

:Later,

Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    PR contributes to singapore development - yes..
    but dun contribute to welfare of citizens..
    PR and for that matter all foreigners working in Singapore (and that indludes workers and maids) do contribute not only economically but they contribute to the welfare of Singapore and therefore of Singapore citizens. For starters we (i am a EP holder for 10 years now) pay taxes, taxes that are used by the Government for the benefit of citizens. Secondly, we spend money here, money that flows in local business employing citizens. Thirdly, there are many that are involved in charities here benefiting specially the less fortunate citizens. And the list can go on.....

The discussion reminds of the one pertaining Singapore athletes which are being sent to international events and then dont win a medal... they are condemed and the money spent on them is seen as a waste. What a foolish view this is!
    For a society to grow and develop there are many expenses that have not a direct value return, sometimes you just pay and it benefits others now, but there could be some returns in the future that are much bigger than your investment... you just dont know yet.
    I am Swiss, i studied in Switzerland for (almost) free, after my degree i started working in Singapore, i never worked in Switzerland. Does that make me a bad Swiss citizen but a good Singapore EP? Many of my collegues at Uni were foreigners, are they just benefiting of free education? Some of them were brilliant and contributed a lot to the education process. Some of them stayed in Switzerland and some of them left like me.

Everybody, citizen, EP, PR or WP contributes in some way to the place where he / she works and lives. Its not always visible in $ signs but the contributions are there.... we should worry less what others contribute and look more what each of us does....
    Never forget rule 5
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Everybody, citizen, EP, PR or WP contributes in some way to the place where he / she works and lives. Its not always visible in $ signs but the contributions are there.... we should worry less what others contribute and look more what each of us does....
    You are asking alot here. Singapore is a society that the dollar value is paramont.
    Last edited by Deadpoet; 1st January 2007 at 03:57 PM.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Actually the "One" that benefits most is the Gabermen....

Not the citizens....

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    You are asking alot here. Singapore is a society that the dollar value is paramont.
    After 10 years in Singapore i am very well aware of that fact.
    Its just interesting how biased people are when it comes to the $$$ and how little people are aware of how much those foreigners are contributing to their comfortable life here...
    Never forget rule 5
    My Flickr

Not the citizens....
    sounds like the standing joke of "Singapore Pte Ltd"....
    who or what is the Government? A group of more or less elected people drawn from the citizenship, not some alian group.... what does the government do with the money that is taken in? Spend it again in infrastructure that benefits the citizen...
    Never forget rule 5
    My Flickr

Not the citizens....
    I have been residing in Singapore for 12 years. I received my early education in my country but guess I wasn't good enough to enter a local university. So, I came to Singapore and was very grateful to be accepted by NTU. And now I am a PR. I just somehow feel that my country should have done more to retain workforce. I was born and raised in my country, going to the heavily subsidised government school for a good 12 years, but yet at the end, I become part of the workforce in another country. Paying tax to another country. Frankly, I dun see how I will be able to contribute to my country when I am in Singapore. Anyway, I am grateful for the chance given to me to study here. And yes, in fact, the "Gabermen" is the main reason for me to stay put here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast