Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think PR contribute to Singapore development ?

Default Do you think PR contribute to Singapore development ?

Mr something Big might be reading so let's give some view .

There are many different type of PR in Singapore ,

example one : Married to a Singaporean .
    example two : Foreigner come to work in Singapore
    example three : Rich Foreigner moving to Singapore
    and so on .........

My question is that for those who are married to a Singaporean and giving birth to a Singaporean baby or those planting their precious seed in a Singaporean, are their contribution for Singapore population something to be proud of and should they be given some form of good aknowledgement from our Government and Citizen?

When one of the news regarding Medical subsidy for PR was reduce , I feel that they are just doing some show to please some Citizen , but however I don't think most Singaporean feel beri Great by what they change however I think , I'm saying I personally think are they doing this just to save their own pocket and by doing so they feel that they had hit two bird by using one stone . This happen to our life every time when they want to do something they will chop away something from us .

Can I suggest to them is that PR with contribution greatly to our society should have good benefit as well , can we give PR a few different type of grade by the Gov , so that the PR know that they earning their respect from the people around them ? Can those who give babies and babies are born as a Singaporean to be graded as the highest grade so that they can enjoy the same benefit as Singaporean ? Can something be done to aknowledge those who can contribute to Singapore ?

I think what Singaporean worried about PR is the competition for our ricebowl and not about some benefit , I think they should be treated as one of us and not setting some form of different treatment for them against us .

Just sharing .

Regards

Default Re: Do you think PR contribute to Singapore development ?

They should share some benefits as being a PR here but IMO, a line must be drawn somewhere.
    How would people feel if the "garment" takes care of PR more than their own people, people who vote for them?

Younger PRs do national service. Should the duration of NS be reduced since the "subsidies" to them are reduced?

PR actually didn't request 'benefits', those 'benefits' are actually some conditions to attract PR.. so who is the boss?

i haven't heard anyone want to be PR is because of medicine subsidies..blah blah..

Some Singaporean do not contribute anything either. Shoud Garman start drawing line to weed out "useless" singaporean? Of course No lah. Most PRs already considered Singapore their home. The 2nd Generations do serve NS like Singaporeans. PRs have certain restrictions and they certainly do not enjoy the same benefits as a singaporean like Housing and Gov handouts of shares etc.

In fact the best lot are the Malaysian work permit holders. They work in SG and spent their money in JB. The go through the custom with special thumb scan which most Singaporean and PR do not use cos of the "regular usage requirement" Raise in medical fees do not affect them a bit cos the only pays RM1 in JB hospital for registration and everything else is free (unless special class treatment) The PR are the ones that are hard hit, their families are rooted here (mostly) with their children having their education in SG and later their children may have to serve both countries NS. (Malaysia had started NS). The pay more for housing and pay the same amount for the already high priced food and other stuff as singaporeans. What do Singaporean gains by PR paying a little more? In fact most ppl will not feel the difference. Singaporean's cost of living will still be the same if not higher. Why not let this country be free of so much complications. We do not want discrimination to start damaging our peace here. We have seen how having Discrimination in other country cause so much troubles.

I'm just saying what i feel about all this tips of ice-berg problems we are going to face in future if we keep pressuring the citizens, 1/2 citizens and non-citizen into different groups. We had good racial harmony here after very hard effort from the Garman to control it. Lets not create another issue.

Believe me, even if all PRs pays double of what Singaporean pays, every singaporean will still be as they are today, nothing better. You will still pay 7% GSt in a few days time.

"We had cross the Bridge, lets not burn it. We may need the bridge in future"

yes they do contribute !

in fact the good ones such as rich businessmen, highly educated professionals, talented artists have clearly proven it thru the years.

to me.. the recent scale down in PR welfare is to draw a clear line between full citizenship and partial citizenship. There is no free lunch in this world ! there must be some commitment made to qualify certain benefits. SG is a independent country, not a charity organisation...

however, i do feel uncomfortable to let ex-PRs to handle matters related to military, finances of a country. Just can't have a peace of mind to trust them.

just my views..
    Last edited by raincool2005; 29th December 2006 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    Some Singaporean do not contribute anything either. Shoud Garman start drawing line to weed out "useless" singaporean? Of course No lah. Most PRs already considered Singapore their home. The 2nd Generations do serve NS like Singaporeans. PRs have certain restrictions and they certainly do not enjoy the same benefits as a singaporean like Housing and Gov handouts of shares etc.

In fact the best lot are the Malaysian work permit holders. They work in SG and spent their money in JB. The go through the custom with special thumb scan which most Singaporean and PR do not use cos of the "regular usage requirement" Raise in medical fees do not affect them a bit cos the only pays RM1 in JB hospital for registration and everything else is free (unless special class treatment) The PR are the ones that are hard hit, their families are rooted here (mostly) with their children having their education in SG and later their children may have to serve both countries NS. (Malaysia had started NS). The pay more for housing and pay the same amount for the already high priced food and other stuff as singaporeans. What do Singaporean gains by PR paying a little more? In fact most ppl will not feel the difference. Singaporean's cost of living will still be the same if not higher. Why not let this country be free of so much complications. We do not want discrimination to start damaging our peace here. We have seen how having Discrimination in other country cause so much troubles.

I'm just saying what i feel about all this tips of ice-berg problems we are going to face in future if we keep pressuring the citizens, 1/2 citizens and non-citizen into different groups. We had good racial harmony here after very hard effort from the Garman to control it. Lets not create another issue.

Believe me, even if all PRs pays double of what Singaporean pays, every singaporean will still be as they are today, nothing better. You will still pay 7% GSt in a few days time.

"We had cross the Bridge, lets not burn it. We may need the bridge in future"

Quote Originally Posted by LENS View Post
    PR actually didn't request 'benefits', those 'benefits' are actually some conditions to attract PR.. so who is the boss?

i haven't heard anyone want to be PR is because of medicine subsidies..blah blah..
    fully agree.. i had frens who are PRs came here because they want the proper english education and safe environment to study and work.

they are so hardworking , willing to take in hardship and did not complain as much as Singaporeans.

Your call your nick Free Agent but you don't seem to be thinking 'freely'................

PR still ok...its those who come here on highly subsidized education then after that run away liao...
    a700 | dynax7
    sigma12-24/minolta28-135/sony70-300g/sig400/lensbaby2.0

I think we have also forgotten that this piece of land do not belong to many of us.
    Our ancestors came to trade and settled down.

Default Do you think PR contribute to Singapore development ?

It feel good when Singaporean think and write about how they feel , no matter what your view are, but among us there are a few of time waster trying to be super funny. Ha Ha !

When I want to ask this question here , I really look forward to how The people react to this question and my experience is good . The people who posted before are all contributing in their own ways . Cheers !!!!

Some system in Singapore by the Big something. are really but "they" will always tell us "Wait and see " , "You can't possibly please everyone" and so on . Just Why ?? Why can't they understand that the Citizen here feel that they are part of here and here is where we roots . Our Country is very different from 15 years ago , now any where you go , throw a stone and you can hit someone with good education . When they wanted to change a system ,why not spend more time hearing views from the people .

But still as I have feel earlier , PR is as important , hopfully Mr. Koh , Mr Lee can do something for them who contribute .

Regards

My wife is married to Singaporean (me!) and our baby's due next Jan. I've just completed her PR application and in the letter it states something along the line of "your wife can apply for Singapore citizenship 2 years down the road".

Regarding PR competing for jobs, if you are a hiring employer and you have only 2 candidates, a hardworking PR and a lazy Singaporean. Who will you hire if you must make a immediate decision?

It's not about nationality/status, it's about attitude.

I'm a PR. I've been living here since I was 5, and am now serving my NS.. Point is, some people don't see how PR's are always at a disadvantage to Singaporeans. PRs don't get Edusave, they don't get scholarships, 2nd gen onwards have to serve NS, they get disadvantaged when certain government related schemes are concerned. (can't think of any off my mind right now)

PRs get most of the disadvantages of being a foreigner, most of the disadvantages of being a Singaporean. It isn't fair to us either.

Concerning the ricebowl part, I believe that if one is willing to work hard, there shouldn't really be complains of such competition. So, does it mean that once that PR gets his/her citizenship, they are no longer considered a competition?

Quote Originally Posted by lypklypk View Post
    I'm a PR. I've been living here since I was 5, and am now serving my NS.. Point is, some people don't see how PR's are always at a disadvantage to Singaporeans. PRs don't get Edusave, they don't get scholarships, 2nd gen onwards have to serve NS, they get disadvantaged when certain government related schemes are concerned. (can't think of any off my mind right now)

PRs get most of the disadvantages of being a foreigner, most of the disadvantages of being a Singaporean. It isn't fair to us either.

Concerning the ricebowl part, I believe that if one is willing to work hard, there shouldn't really be complains of such competition. So, does it mean that once that PR gets his/her citizenship, they are no longer considered a competition?
    talking about scholarships.. hey ! they are scholarships given to foreign students to study in local Uni.

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade05 View Post
    My wife is married to Singaporean (me!) and our baby's due next Jan. I've just completed her PR application and in the letter it states something along the line of "your wife can apply for Singapore citizenship 2 years down the road".

Regarding PR competing for jobs, if you are a hiring employer and you have only 2 candidates, a hardworking PR and a lazy Singaporean. Who will you hire if you must make a immediate decision?

It's not about nationality/status, it's about attitude.
    Very true. It's all about attitude. It's normal for Singaporeans to choose jobs, complain and never satisfy.

My boss always love to hire PRs and foreign workers. Always less problem and very hard working.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades View Post
    My boss always love to hire PRs and foreign workers. Always less problem and very hard working.
    Less Pay
    No NS or Reservist liability,
    No need pay CPF contribution depending on working pass.

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade05 View Post
    How you judge a singaporean "lazy" during the interview?

I will judge who has achieve more from their resumes.

PR contributes to singapore development - yes..
    but dun contribute to welfare of citizens..
    sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Deceased View Post
    Less Pay
    No NS or Reservist liability,
    No need pay CPF contribution depending on working pass.

this part i agree ! to many bosses, going away for reservists or RT is never good... however they dun want say out becos it is a national policy. They want you to be around to work, they are even willing to pay your OT.. but being absent for such. .. means loss of manpower and overloading of your colleagues current workload.

lesser CPF or pay !? of cos ! cheaper labour means more money into profits or business operations or research.
    Last edited by raincool2005; 31st December 2006 at 12:10 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast