Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: VR ? any other choice beside nikon ?

  1. #1
    Member noob sniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tiong Bahru Estate, Singapore,
    Posts
    743

    Default VR ? any other choice beside nikon ?

    Hi guys , iam new and dun have any idea with wat lens to get or to use , esp on brand here my problem is my hand use to shake abit when i hold my D80 and try to shot , but nikon vr lens are too ex for me as a noob user , is there and other brand of lens that have the anti shake feature ?
    Last edited by noob sniper; 28th December 2006 at 08:53 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: VR ? any other choice beside nikon ?

    There will be an upcoming Sigma 18-200 F3.5-6.3 OS(Optical Stabilizer).. Maybe u can consider that, most prob will be cheaper than the Nikon equivalent
    Last edited by aaron80; 28th December 2006 at 08:38 PM.
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

  3. #3
    Member noob sniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tiong Bahru Estate, Singapore,
    Posts
    743

    Default Re: VR ? any other choice beside nikon ?

    Any ideal when will that sigma lens hit market & price range ?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    1,226

    Default Re: VR ? any other choice beside nikon ?

    If you don't want to get a VR lens, then you will need to get a 3rd party lens with an equivalent image stabilisation/vibration reduction/etc, and the only one I know of is Sigma.

    However if your budget is constrained, then perhaps it might be a better idea to examine why are you having prominent handshake in your pictures in the first place. Are you trying to shoot at too low a shutter speed without proper support? Are you snapping at the shutter release? Do you have an unstable shooting posture?

    It's better to get the fundamentals right then immediately conclude that you need better equipment.

  5. #5

    Default Re: VR ? any other choice beside nikon ?

    mabbe you should have got K10D instead.


    ...*runs away*
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  6. #6
    Member noob sniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tiong Bahru Estate, Singapore,
    Posts
    743

    Default Re: VR ? any other choice beside nikon ?

    i think it has nothing to do with my gear , just my hand shake while holding cam , coz even holding a normal digi cam also same problem , any info on the sigma lens u guys mention above how abt the price range ? thks in adv

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    130

    Default Re: VR ? any other choice beside nikon ?

    Hi noob sniper,

    as a rough rule of thumb, try to use some form of camera support (eg: tripod, beanbag, etc...) if you are shooting at a shutter speed of less than 1/30 sec in a stationary position. There should be no visible camera shake above this shutter speed unless your camera is REALLY moving at a high velocity (eg: shooting from a moving vehicle).

    Hope this helps.


    Bernard

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: VR ? any other choice beside nikon ?

    simple... learn the proper way of handholding 1st. It is free afterall, and apply across all brand and model.

    Quote Originally Posted by bernardy4416 View Post
    Hi noob sniper,

    as a rough rule of thumb, try to use some form of camera support (eg: tripod, beanbag, etc...) if you are shooting at a shutter speed of less than 1/30 sec in a stationary position. There should be no visible camera shake above this shutter speed unless your camera is REALLY moving at a high velocity (eg: shooting from a moving vehicle).

    Hope this helps.


    Bernard
    are you sure?
    Last edited by ExplorerZ; 28th December 2006 at 11:08 PM.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    130

    Default Re: VR ? any other choice beside nikon ?

    Hi ExplorerZ,

    yes, rather certain of this.

    Of course, camera shake becomes more apparent if Tele-Zooms are used.

    However, this is true in most cases.

    Have you experienced any different?


    Bernard

  10. #10

    Default Re: VR ? any other choice beside nikon ?

    Quote Originally Posted by bernardy4416 View Post
    Hi noob sniper,

    as a rough rule of thumb, try to use some form of camera support (eg: tripod, beanbag, etc...) if you are shooting at a shutter speed of less than 1/30 sec in a stationary position. There should be no visible camera shake above this shutter speed unless your camera is REALLY moving at a high velocity (eg: shooting from a moving vehicle).

    Hope this helps.


    Bernard

    i guess a better rule of thumb should be 1/focal length? TS should practise this and try to minimise handshake.

  11. #11
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: VR ? any other choice beside nikon ?

    Quote Originally Posted by noob sniper View Post
    Hi guys , iam new and dun have any idea with wat lens to get or to use , esp on brand here my problem is my hand use to shake abit when i hold my D80 and try to shot , but nikon vr lens are too ex for me as a noob user , is there and other brand of lens that have the anti shake feature ?
    Tripod

    Or monopod.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    130

    Default Re: VR ? any other choice beside nikon ?

    Quote Originally Posted by CasonLyn View Post
    i guess a better rule of thumb should be 1/focal length? TS should practise this and try to minimise handshake.
    Hi CasonLyn,

    yes, that is indeed a more accurate method of guaging the need for camera support.

    Unfortunately, it does tend to add a little confusion to new camera users should they attempt to use this method.

    Nonetheless, this is indeed a more accurate method


    Bernard

  13. #13
    Member noob sniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tiong Bahru Estate, Singapore,
    Posts
    743

    Default Re: VR ? any other choice beside nikon ?

    wow thks for sharing the info with me , it will sure help me to improve in some way , and here come a super long weekend , it time for me to do some pratice

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,866

    Default Re: VR ? any other choice beside nikon ?

    Try reading this up from the Nikonian Site: http://www.nikonians.org/html/resour...dholding1.html

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    130

    Default Re: VR ? any other choice beside nikon ?

    Quote Originally Posted by noob sniper View Post
    wow thks for sharing the info with me , it will sure help me to improve in some way , and here come a super long weekend , it time for me to do some pratice
    Hi noob sniper,

    glad to have helped. We are all constantly learning....

    These new digital cameras are great. They allow us to see the instant result of our decisions, thus enhancing the learning curve. Not to mention the money saved in film and development costs.

    Happy shooting over the weekend


    Bernard

  16. #16

    Default Re: VR ? any other choice beside nikon ?

    Quote Originally Posted by bernardy4416 View Post
    Hi noob sniper,

    as a rough rule of thumb, try to use some form of camera support (eg: tripod, beanbag, etc...) if you are shooting at a shutter speed of less than 1/30 sec in a stationary position. There should be no visible camera shake above this shutter speed unless your camera is REALLY moving at a high velocity (eg: shooting from a moving vehicle).

    Hope this helps.


    Bernard
    Not true.

    Whether there is handshake blur recorded depends on the shutter speed vs focal length and of course the amount of hand shake.

    The general guideline to avoid handshake blur is shutter speed faster than 1/(actual focal length).

    Faster than 1/30 is true only for most compact point and shoot camera simply because the longest actual focal length of most of the small point and shoot cameras are at most 30+mm.

  17. #17

    Default Re: VR ? any other choice beside nikon ?

    Quote Originally Posted by noob sniper View Post
    i think it has nothing to do with my gear , just my hand shake while holding cam , coz even holding a normal digi cam also same problem , any info on the sigma lens u guys mention above how abt the price range ? thks in adv
    In terms of cost wise, may be you should have gone for Sony or Pentax where they have the image stabiliser built onto their DSLR bodies. Of course, you will lose out in terms of other things such as availablity of lenses and some other qualities.

  18. #18
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    @ AMK
    Posts
    2,616

    Default Re: VR ? any other choice beside nikon ?

    Quote Originally Posted by bernardy4416 View Post
    Hi noob sniper,

    glad to have helped. We are all constantly learning....

    These new digital cameras are great. They allow us to see the instant result of our decisions, thus enhancing the learning curve. Not to mention the money saved in film and development costs.

    Happy shooting over the weekend


    Bernard
    actually most people can safely hand held 1/8 without handshake...

    thats what i observse over a couple of user...

    i not sure how other think about this...comment pls...

  19. #19
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: VR ? any other choice beside nikon ?

    Quote Originally Posted by westwest1 View Post
    actually most people can safely hand held 1/8 without handshake...

    thats what i observse over a couple of user...

    i not sure how other think about this...comment pls...
    It depends on the focal length too.... You try 1/30 for 300mm...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  20. #20
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    @ AMK
    Posts
    2,616

    Default Re: VR ? any other choice beside nikon ?

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    It depends on the focal length too.... You try 1/30 for 300mm...
    300mm....

    give u 200mm also may have problem...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •