Thread: Hari Raya Haji

Default Hari Raya Haji

31st December is Hari Raya Haji and as always,there'll be slaughtering of sheeps at most mosques and as these days rain heavily non-stop..catching the sheeps before slaughtering will be exciting(like cowboys) in the mud..hope to see few of you out there shooting..Selamat Hari Raya and happy new year...

Default Re: Hari Raya Haji

HI,

I wish to go and take soem photo. Do you know where they will do it?

Quote Originally Posted by divefree73 View Post
    HI,

I wish to go and take soem photo. Do you know where they will do it?
    bro...i think most mosques will have it...

There is a mosque by Eunos. U can go there but it be good to ask for consent

Quote Originally Posted by roDz View Post
    31st December is Hari Raya Haji and as always,there'll be slaughtering of sheeps at most mosques and as these days rain heavily non-stop..catching the sheeps before slaughtering will be exciting(like cowboys) in the mud..hope to see few of you out there shooting..Selamat Hari Raya and happy new year...
    sacrificing, not slaughtering

Thought the sheeps were tied up already?

You mean they let the sheeps run freely, then catch em' and slaughter em'?

saw a flock of sheep just beside the new Geylang market......

Quote Originally Posted by david_goh View Post
    Thought the sheeps were tied up already?

You mean they let the sheeps run freely, then catch em' and slaughter em'?
    ok the mosque @ bt batok, al-raudhah or something like that... i went last yr, basically just went in and asked nicely if i can watch them do it, and shoot with my PnS. They were abit hesitant but saw that i meant no harm.

Basically the sheep were in a pen, each time they need one, volunteers would go in n grab one.. After that the sheep would be pinned down, over a longkang.. the senior would start the prayers, together with all the handlers. Senior would use a long knife n slit the neck to drain the blood out.

The thing that really freaked me out was that when all the slit sheep were placed @ side waiting to be chopped up and the meat distributed, they are still alive n kicking ard. The meat is mostly given out to the poor and needy, with the family who bought the sheep taking a small portion for own consumption.

Lesson learnt: go only when ur stomach can take it. Take note of the mosque's rules and leave if you feel that you have overstayed your welcome. End of day, i think this is a good way to learn about the religion and its practices

Quote Originally Posted by jkaiser View Post
    ok the mosque @ bt batok, al-raudhah or something like that... i went last yr, basically just went in and asked nicely if i can watch them do it, and shoot with my PnS. They were abit hesitant but saw that i meant no harm.

Basically the sheep were in a pen, each time they need one, volunteers would go in n grab one.. After that the sheep would be pinned down, over a longkang.. the senior would start the prayers, together with all the handlers. Senior would use a long knife n slit the neck to drain the blood out.

The thing that really freaked me out was that when all the slit sheep were placed @ side waiting to be chopped up and the meat distributed, they are still alive n kicking ard. The meat is mostly given out to the poor and needy, with the family who bought the sheep taking a small portion for own consumption.

Lesson learnt: go only when ur stomach can take it. Take note of the mosque's rules and leave if you feel that you have overstayed your welcome. End of day, i think this is a good way to learn about the religion and its practices
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I guess I'll opt out now, then go there and get carried out (faint).

"The thing that really freaked me out was that when all the slit sheep were placed @ side waiting to be chopped up and the meat distributed, they are still alive n kicking ard."

dont despair very soon after the throats are cut, the sheep are dead already, brain dead at least as when the throat is slit, the arteries and veins are both cut quickly, this empties the brain quickly of blood and hence causes the brain to die quickly.

The kicking which you see is more of a reflex thing as compared to it stuggling to keep alive.

will post pics i took if u would like to know the whole event in pictorial series.

I went to a nearby mosque (Redhill area) to see. Dare not take any photo cos feeling abit scare.

but good experience huh folks... this thread ties in with PM's msg to have inter-faith interaction :P

put up my pics and a bit of explanation under reportage and sports, since we dont have interfaith section in this forum