Thread: IBM thinkpad Keyboard-Keys Came off! :(

Default IBM thinkpad Keyboard-Keys Came off! :(

Hi All,

My 1 yr old eagle(my avatar) managed to run around my lappy, and succesfully plucked the right shift key and space bar lifted at one end!! Though my lappy is under warranty, I received a quotation for 136.50$ , as a replacement for a new keyboard when I placed my service call. .. I've the engineer visiting my home tmrw.He will suggest me to replace or to fix the existing one. Then I can decide on 136.50 or fix with some IT shops or to continue with a handicap keyboard..

Just wondering that any CS'er faced similar issue and fixed the keys elsewhere(like funan/simlim) for a cheaper price..?? I know i can replace the entire keyboard for 30/40$ for a fake IBM keyboard..but I wanna know whther some shop can help me in fixing the 2 keys,since I wanna stick to the Original one!

Note: The keys came off...not broken!

Cheerz
    Get
    Last edited by GetMeEazy; 28th December 2006 at 03:32 PM.

Default Re: IBM thinkpad Keyboard-Keys Came off! :(

Quote Originally Posted by GetMeEazy View Post
    Hi All,

My 1 yr old eagle(my avatar) managed to run around my lappy, and succesfully plucked the right shift key and space bar lifted at one end!! Though my lappy is under warranty, I received a quotation for 136.50$ , as a replacement for a new keyboard when I placed my service call. .. I've the engineer visiting my home tmrw.He will suggest me to replace or to fix the existing one. Then I can decide on 136.50 or fix with some IT shops or to continue with a handicap keyboard..

Just wondering that any CS'er faced similar issue and fixed the keys elsewhere(like funan/simlim) for a cheaper price..?? I know i can replace the entire keyboard for 30/40$ for a fake IBM keyboard..but I wanna know whther some shop can help me in fixing the 2 keys,since I wanna stick to the Original one!

Cheerz
    Get
    I believe you can actually "press" the keys back. Have you tried on this?

Did u went to the Service Center,may ask for help.Don't try to force to press the key cap back,u may break the tiny leg.Then your keyboard will not cover any warranty.Ha Ha

Quote Originally Posted by GetMeEazy View Post
    Hi All,

My 1 yr old eagle(my avatar) managed to run around my lappy, and succesfully plucked the right shift key and space bar lifted at one end!!

<snipped>

Since you say they are not broken, you can actually "press" the keys back. The bigger keys on keyboards have a metal bar, besides the switch. Just look at the other end that is still in place and you should be able to figure out how the thing can be assembled back.

my compaq works well ! try it.

Quote Originally Posted by SNAG View Post
    I believe you can actually "press" the keys back. Have you tried on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    Since you say they are not broken, you can actually "press" the keys back. The bigger keys on keyboards have a metal bar, besides the switch. Just look at the other end that is still in place and you should be able to figure out how the thing can be assembled back.
    I tried to press..it'z very delicate...and the gap is too small.....to fix the plastic gears!!

can IT service ppl around simlim help me??

Quote Originally Posted by pktam71 View Post
    Did u went to the Service Center,may ask for help.Don't try to force to press the key cap back,u may break the tiny leg.Then your keyboard will not cover any warranty.Ha Ha
    That's the reason I cld them up! tmrw the engnr is coming! let's see wat he says!!

Thanks
    Get

136.50 is a very very high price. my father's fujitsu notebook has its "scroll lock" key detatched. warranty still available, but service center say accidental damage on hardware is not covered(it was considered damaged as the keyboard catch connecting to the "scroll lock" key was broken). they cannot repair it, and the only way was to replace the whole thing. but the price was 55 bucks. $136 is really on the high side.

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    136.50 is a very very high price. my father's fujitsu notebook has its "scroll lock" key detatched. warranty still available, but service center say accidental damage on hardware is not covered(it was considered damaged as the keyboard catch connecting to the "scroll lock" key was broken). they cannot repair it, and the only way was to replace the whole thing. but the price was 55 bucks. $136 is really on the high side.
    wat the heck? 55 Vs 136.50 - I agree IBM is a High value brand...but dinn know THIS much!!

can any guys in Simlim/Funan help me? or if not fixing.. how much is a IBM thinkpad look like keyboard will cost? is it worth buying a duplicate keyboard , if available?

if it available for 20/30 $ , I can allow my son to break again 4 times...instead of replacing an original IBM keyboard for 136!

Cheerz
    Get

He Came... He Saw... He Conquered(the money!)

Since the rubber stopper came off...he sd cannot fix it back... so I have no other choice to pay 136$ !

Lesson learnt - 'Lappies should Stay away from my lil eagle'

cheerz
    Get

you guys might wanna try the one computer shop in the 3rd or 4th floor of peninsular, the deal in used PC parts and they may be able to help repair somethings.

If its still under warranty, how come they still quote you? Trying to cheat you ah?

I've actually fixed a lot such problems when i was giving IT support in schools. Just try your best to push it back. But becareful, the plastic is very soft. May break anytime.

This is called fate!

As soon as the IBM guy said cannot fix the keyboard, I hve to replace the entire keyboard, and pay for it...

The same evening my friend who visited my home, fixed those keys after strugglin for 1 hour.. but my friend concluded it was an easy methodolgy for a Support guy rather than for a person who fixes the keys first time..if the support guy wd have tried he could've done the fix in few mins!

How can he JUST SAY - CANNOT fix it!?? trying to make money or Donn wanna work Hard??? I'm goin to call upon the Cust.service and wanna make a log of this issue...let's see what is the outcome!!

Anyways..now I've a spare keyboard if my son Breaks the new kbrd again!

Cheerz
    Get

the technical service industry is such now. They will only do modular level replacement and no micro level (individual parts) fixing. This is a much quicker solution and more failsafe. imagine if he fixed your key but it drops out again tomorrow.. will you call up the cust svc centre to screw them "YOUR guys came yesterday fixed my key and now it's out again! what kinda service is this?!"

I was in the shoes of a serviceman before I know how it feels
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    the technical service industry is such now. They will only do modular level replacement and no micro level (individual parts) fixing. This is a much quicker solution and more failsafe. imagine if he fixed your key but it drops out again tomorrow.. will you call up the cust svc centre to screw them "YOUR guys came yesterday fixed my key and now it's out again! what kinda service is this?!"

I was in the shoes of a serviceman before I know how it feels
    Oww!! I didn't think this way!! Not like i'm easily convincible, but the rational you gave makes a lot of sense! But I've escalated this issue, and a new call is being raised to chk the same. let's see wat happens!