Thread: 3rd Party Standard Zoom for Cropped Sensors

Default 3rd Party Standard Zoom for Cropped Sensors

Hi guys,

Would like to ask for recommendations of various standard zooms available for Canon and Nikon mount, helping someone do a first purchase.

Should be in the 18-50 or 70 or 135 ranges, i.e. standard range not too long (not to 150 or 200, for example). Compatibily with Canon or Nikon system required.

Should be good and sharp. For still life photography, children, landscape and travel. Christmas parties too.

Thanks.

Deregistered

Default Re: 3rd Party Standard Zoom for Cropped Sensors

nikon...17-35 f2.8, 28-70 f2.8, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.4, 105DC f2

Quote Originally Posted by westwest1 View Post
    nikon...17-35 f2.8, 28-70 f2.8, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.4, 105DC f2
    he talking about 3rd party lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by diediealsomustdive View Post
    Hi guys,

Would like to ask for recommendations of various standard zooms available for Canon and Nikon mount, helping someone do a first purchase.

Should be in the 18-50 or 70 or 135 ranges, i.e. standard range not too long (not to 150 or 200, for example). Compatibily with Canon or Nikon system required.

Should be good and sharp. For still life photography, children, landscape and travel. Christmas parties too.

Thanks.
    Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX DC (Or you can go for its Tamron alternative)
    Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX DG (A very very very popular lens due to its attractive price and excellent performance)

basically just these 2.

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX DC (Or you can go for its Tamron alternative)
    Why Sigma and why Tamron? Pros and Cons?

cos they are the only ones?

ohoh, you mean that lens is it? well, on the canon side, currently there are only 2(or3) wide zoom lenses with 2.8. the 17(or16)-35L and the EFS 17-55 IS.

problem, the L is very very expensive, so is the 17-55 IS. so in the end, poor people like me have to go for the sigma or tamron 18-50 2.8. it is a much cheaper alternative. and the optics quality is very close to that of 17-40 L, which is pretty good.

not sure about nikon. do they have this sigma equilivant?(meaning for cropped sensors and without VR).

Deregistered

he talking about 3rd party lenses..
    oh...

Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX DG (A very very very popular lens due to its attractive price and excellent performance)

basically just these 2.
    its the best already....should see some of the photo taken by that lens...nothing best it...

ohoh, you mean that lens is it? well, on the canon side, currently there are only 2(or3) wide zoom lenses with 2.8. the 17(or16)-35L and the EFS 17-55 IS.

problem, the L is very very expensive, so is the 17-55 IS. so in the end, poor people like me have to go for the sigma or tamron 18-50 2.8. it is a much cheaper alternative. and the optics quality is very close to that of 17-40 L, which is pretty good.

not sure about nikon. do they have this sigma equilivant?(meaning for cropped sensors and without VR).
    Thanks for the information. I am familiar with Nikon lens lineup and I think there is less incentive to go 3rd party over from Nikon end, as the kit zooms 18-70 and 18-135 are quite good.

Personally I had a very good impression of Tamron in the late 80's early 90's. My limited exposure to current lenses appeared to be not favourable, e.g. when I went to see the UW zooms, 10-20, 12-24, 11-19, that range, I found the Tamron to be flimsily built. Settled for the Sigma (something I would not touch back in the 80's/90's) over the Tokina on colour (found Sigma warmer).

OK, we'll investigate the Sigma and the Tamron (to kick out the Canon 18-55 kit lens). Thanks.

He's asking about 3rd party lens!

TS, some famous brands for 3rd party is Sigma, Tamron, Tokina etc.
    For the pros and cons, find it hard to tell you cos each of them got their own good points and bad points. Its more on what you really want and how many bad points of the lens can you accept. So, IMO, read up on the internet for reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by palvin View Post
    He's asking about 3rd party lens!

TS, some famous brands for 3rd party is Sigma, Tamron, Tokina etc.
    For the pros and cons, find it hard to tell you cos each of them got their own good points and bad points. Its more on what you really want and how many bad points of the lens can you accept. So, IMO, read up on the internet for reviews.
    read my first post.

Many thanks to all who responded. Think I have enough infor to move on. If my friend decides to go to Canon 400D, then add a Sigma 18-50 or 60 f2.8. If Nikon D70s or D80 then buy Nikkors 18-70 or 18-135DX.

We'll take it from here. Appreciate your help.