Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Jack Neo - how? What a credit thief.

Default Re: Jack Neo - how? What a credit thief.

Looks like i better change the title. How do i add an 'i think'

a kid throw a stone in a pond..and make a splash..

then come one person said..u can't do it.. another person come and said it is okay..then another person come and said u better don't do it, the pond is belong to a boss..then more people come and talk about it..till the boss come out and see what had happened..

what has happened? it was actually just a kid who threw a stone into the pool.. it is actually no reason to tell the kid u should or shouldn't... issit because we are in singapore so our reaction is always in this way?

Hahaha.. Lens, .. i like your analogy ...

but i never liked Jack Neo as he has once gave a talk in SIM and claims that Quentin Tarantino's movies are copy-cat versions of others, so QT has no talents...

Quentin is a pretty kickass filmmaker. Resevoir Dogs is definitely an indie legend. Made on a US$1.2 mil budget only. Homerun was made for 1.5mil SGD fyi
    Last edited by MalcolmOng; 29th December 2006 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MalcolmOng View Post
    Quentin is a pretty kickass filmmaker. Resevoir Dogs is definitely an indie legend.

So is Pulp Fiction and From Dusk to Dawn!
    蓮花仙子

Quote Originally Posted by posn75 View Post
    Hahaha.. Lens, .. i like your analogy ...

but i never liked Jack Neo as he has once gave a talk in SIM and claims that Quentin Tarantino's movies are copy-cat versions of others, so QT has no talents...
    heh well compare the box office of QT's movies and Jack Neo's movies... and guess who has the last laugh. When I see the product placement in JN's movies, I wanna throw up. "Wah this air con is so cooling!"

Next year QT has Grindhouse coming out and Jack Neo has Just Say Law... any guesses which one I'll be watching?

I'll take a wild guess and say...Grindhouse?

WOW. This thread lasted so long without being closed!

Surprising.

actually i have never really see a Jack Neo movie ler, but i have to say it is able to capture something what foreigner can't capture it.. you may say it is rude, dialect, just street scene, and not artistic..but it is ..singapore way. But is he a good director.. definitely too early to talk about it..

Actually like most directors, every directors do stand out with their own signature cinematography.. but it takes time to get mature and be something which is not attention seeking yet special.. if the directors are still in same place, yet the audience had moved on with their life and get mature.. the new generation audience is not buying his movie. it is done.

Jack Neo or QT did actually shine in some way, but being remember as a good film-maker..is a long way to go.

Film-making or be any art forms, is actually a reflection of the creator.. like if u are teenager u may find it ok to see those young guys acting full-equipped police team and fight with terrorist.. and shot the gun without blinking eye.. but guess older guy will just laugh it off ha..

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lim View Post
    There's no need to imagine. Its about hard work and dedication to look for these resources. I just shot a film some time last year. My planned budget was a whooping 18,000. Where to get this money? FIND IT, BEG FOR IT, WORK FOR IT... what ever it takes to get that money. In the end i had to scrape and scrimp on so much to make it a lower more workable budget far from my planned one. So the moral behind it? There is nothing impossible if you have good planning, good PR skills, good initiative, alternative plans AND LESS COMPLAINTS on bumps you come across along the way.
    well said!

...What happened to good ol' fashioned free speech - this is a kopitiam.
    Free speech works both ways... ther "free-er" you are, the "free-er" can the reply be.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Actually, thats a good point. The paradox of free speech aye

Quote Originally Posted by BaconLettuceTomatoes View Post
    Eh firstly I think you guys are taking this far too seriously. Mal just brought up what he thought was a mis-given award to Jack Neo for an entitlement which should've gone too Tay. Then this somehow became a 'flame Jack Neo' thread and now an anti-Malcolm-Wiki-thread. The point here is not whether or not we like Neo but rather the validity of that award.

So what if people don't like Jack Neo?

I respect the fella but everyone's entitled to his or her own opinion. Article 14 of our defunct constitution even gaurantees that right... Albeit in a limited way. Anyhow, my point is basically just to let the people say whatever they want to say because I doubt Mr Neo would be calling up Mr Singh of Drew & Napier anytime soon. Its a KOPITIAM for crying out loud - A place where old men get together to lambast *** politicians and GST hikes! So give the man a break and let freedom of speech take its course. Whether you hate or love Jack Neo, no one should have the right to tell you what to think or say. Singaporeans have to lighten up. Not everyone's Chee Soon Juan, JBJ, or Tang Liang Hong...

Besides, both Mal's parents are top-notch lawyers and I'm pretty sure they can defend him decently if it ever boils down to that
    Since both Mal's parents are top-notch lawyers, the I suggest that he check with them that such a thread title would get him into trouble. Not now, since he's only 16...but after his next birthday, if he still use such strong accusatory words without proper basis other than "everybody says so" then good luck to him.... mabbe he can also ask his parents about the pretty recent cases of people kenna suit just from Blogs.

Actually, thats a good point. The paradox of free speech aye
    Actually, dun take this the wrong way... you're only 16 now... but have to "grow up" soon and such baseless statements would not be tolerated when you are become an adult.

if Jack Neo come here and argue and sue people..i will really think Jack Neo needs to grow up..

Quote Originally Posted by LENS View Post
    if Jack Neo come here and argue and sue people..i will really think Jack Neo needs to grow up..
    While I agree Jack would not come in and join this baseless thread, neither would he like to make headlines suing a 16 year old kid.

What TS stated isn't correct and that should be corrected... regardless if the consequence is being sued by Jack, or juz being a flame bait in this thread.

The commercial ads in the movies are spoilig it, like that movie about the CNY foodstuff business.

If you want an example of how not to win international acclaim, but earn money at the box office, relatively speaking in comparison to Zhao Wei Films, Oak3 Films or indie filmmakers like Royston Tan, do emulate his filmmaking style.

It is first and foremost meant for a broad, mainly Mandarin-speaking heartland audience, appealing to the things they find familiar. As with the elections, the critical mass here is the Lianhe Wanbao-reading crowd, especially if you are trying to maintain a credible market share in local Mandarin/Singlish cinema.

His plots are predictable, and often rehashed, with the odd adapatation here and there. Some have commented that his movies are but lengthened telemovies of local drama serials, with crossover cast and storylines. However, that is because Singapore's mainstream film industry is an offshoot of the television arena. Lighting, scripting and casting techniques and practices are subtly influenced by the little screen.

Until we have a self-sustaining film industry that is independant in all aspects from cast/crew from the television or theatre sector, then we could see an evolution of another mainstream Singaporean cinema form.

So, let's lay off the unwarranted attacks, and although I personally do not enjoy his stereotypical plots, we must realise that Singapore Cinema is a growing entity, and is not fully matured yet. Diversity is key to grooming a strong industry, and while some filmmakers may choose to target the Cannes and Sundances of the world, others are equally passionate about getting their message across through the box-office.
    Last edited by LazerLordz; 29th December 2006 at 06:51 PM.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    I remember 2 statements that he made very long ago.

When asked about stark simliarities between local variety/entertainment shows with taiwan's, his response was "the market is very small and it's always the same ideas being passed around, there's nothing new to do" But look at taiwan and japan, they are always coming up with creative and interesting games all the time.

Immediately after a certain year's international film fest, he announced a wonderful script about a boy and a pair of shoes.. now i tot I've heard that somewhere in Iran.... later on, people started questioning about the his show and the Iranian production, he said "it's not copy, but an ADAPTATION of that show. You must watch it!"

pui~~ he thinks we're all still in pri/sec sch huh? Copy homework liao make some modifications/mistakes on purpose to differentiate my work from my classmate's.

I've never watched a single show from Jack Neo because he doesn't get my respect. Mark Lee instead gets from me.
    well, you can see it like a remake, for example, the ring from Japan and the ring virus from Korea. and many hollywood movies are remade of some korean and japanese movies. sometimes there are mirror versions between korean and HK movies too.

however, he could have been upfront and forthcoming right from the start. the iranian movie is not exactly remotely known before his movie is up.

his movies are quite entertaining and have certain values. but what i dun really about them is his tendency to amplify certain biased view of stereotyping that satisfies a large number of public. common targets are just like those in the forums - against politicians, the government, scholars, JC students, students from schools or classes with better performances, university graduates, overseas graduates, officers, scholars in the army, the army, foreign students, SPGs, expatriates, westerners, richer people, the US government, the Muslims, the PRC Chinese nationals, the Indians, the bangladeshi - are all among common subjects to invite some biased views. well, there could be some truth in unbecoming behaviours in some individuals from the above social standing or background, but very often such opinions are mixed with other feelings, ranging from jealousy, inferiority complex, xenophobia to even the trendy feeling of being "in". for a time, it is all about bush-bashing, and perhaps it still is. and his movies are exactly echoing what his targetted audience would love to hear, making their disliked targets appear even more sinister and dislikable in the movies. this, i feel, is really unhealthy.
    Last edited by zoossh; 12th January 2007 at 07:51 PM.

IMDB - he makes films with an average budget of a million dollars

methinks i just got flamed
    perhaps a less insinuating title would be better. the contents are ok. it is fair to raise doubts as would any one not from the media. however, making that comment of a thief would have hurt someone, whether or not there is any truth, partial truth or not true at all.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast