Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 68

Thread: spend $371 on sec 1 textbooks !

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default spend $371 on sec 1 textbooks !

    hi, do u all feel $371 on one full set of secondary 1 textbook is expensive ?

    in 1980's, it was only around $110.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nee Soon
    Posts
    457

    Default Re: spend $371 on sec 1 textbooks !

    What school is that for, or are all sec schools using the same textbooks (sorry, long time since sec school days) ?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: spend $371 on sec 1 textbooks !

    this is just ridiculous!

  4. #4

    Default Re: spend $371 on sec 1 textbooks !

    Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    hi, do u all feel $371 on one full set of secondary 1 textbook is expensive ?

    in 1980's, it was only around $110.
    normal. cos in sec1 and sec2, every single subject is studied. no forgetting the scientific calculater. but $371 is indeed abit on the slightly high side.

  5. #5

    Default Re: spend $371 on sec 1 textbooks !

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    normal. cos in sec1 and sec2, every single subject is studied. no forgetting the scientific calculater. but $371 is indeed abit on the slightly high side.
    Imagine that!

    I have 3 kids some more! And the govt keep wondering why people don't want kids....

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: spend $371 on sec 1 textbooks !

    Quote Originally Posted by Caspere View Post
    Imagine that!

    I have 3 kids some more! And the govt keep wondering why people don't want kids....
    buy 1 set, the rest photocopy ... or best photocopy from friend/relatives. should be able to save 50% or more

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Punggol Park
    Posts
    1,977

    Default Re: spend $371 on sec 1 textbooks !

    $371 ? Are todays textbooks in hardcover version ah ?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nee Soon
    Posts
    457

    Default Re: spend $371 on sec 1 textbooks !

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    buy 1 set, the rest photocopy ... or best photocopy from friend/relatives. should be able to save 50% or more
    Like dat ah, I think it won't be long before pasar malam can buy pirated textbooks, haha.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: spend $371 on sec 1 textbooks !

    Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    Like dat ah, I think it won't be long before pasar malam can buy pirated textbooks, haha.
    idea man! sounds like good business already

  10. #10

    Default Re: spend $371 on sec 1 textbooks !

    Textbooks are just the begining.......assessment books hmmmm will double that.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: spend $371 on sec 1 textbooks !

    Quote Originally Posted by Caspere View Post
    Imagine that!

    I have 3 kids some more! And the govt keep wondering why people don't want kids....
    how about the computers they need ? do all your 3 kids has laptops ? all need to use internet ? do they use handphones ?

    sian ... can they all go back to mummy's stomach ? sorry.. it was a wrong decision.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: spend $371 on sec 1 textbooks !

    Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    how about the computers they need ? do all your 3 kids has laptops ? all need to use internet ? do they use handphones ?

    sian ... can they all go back to mummy's stomach ? sorry.. it was a wrong decision.


    secondary 1 use laptop and handphone for what? waste money only, my aunt bought my sec 1 cousin a handphone, in one month my cousin chalked up a few hundred dollars worth of phone bill ... of course the line was cut after that

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: spend $371 on sec 1 textbooks !

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobman View Post
    Textbooks are just the begining.......assessment books hmmmm will double that.
    how about the upcoming tution fees ?

    and if their school is far far away.. need to pay for their transport also.

  14. #14

    Default Re: spend $371 on sec 1 textbooks !

    Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    how about the computers they need ? do all your 3 kids has laptops ? all need to use internet ? do they use handphones ?

    sian ... can they all go back to mummy's stomach ? sorry.. it was a wrong decision.
    hi. can tell me which sch? i am searching the net and the highest i found was less than $200 without calculator and writing materials(jotter books, lined books, foolscap, etc).

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: spend $371 on sec 1 textbooks !

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    normal. cos in sec1 and sec2, every single subject is studied. no forgetting the scientific calculater. but $371 is indeed abit on the slightly high side.
    how much is the scientific calculator ? i remember my time i used one cost $28, casio model fx380 something..

  16. #16

    Default Re: spend $371 on sec 1 textbooks !

    Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    how much is the scientific calculator ? i remember my time i used one cost $28, casio model fx380 something..
    not sure. i comparing different sec schools booklist now, so it doesn't have those non-standardized things. another thing that adds quite heftily into the bill is the electronic chinese dictionary. does the 371 includes that? 371 really quite high. possible if you show us the booklist? thanks!

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Chestnut
    Posts
    3,171

    Default Re: spend $371 on sec 1 textbooks !

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    buy 1 set, the rest photocopy ... or best photocopy from friend/relatives. should be able to save 50% or more
    and get sued for copyright infringement....

    ACS(I) and Cresent use Tablet PC.....cost over 2K each....compulsory....
    Last edited by Danntbt; 27th December 2006 at 05:45 PM.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: spend $371 on sec 1 textbooks !

    Quote Originally Posted by Danntbt View Post
    and get sued for copyright infringement....
    yah, in the name of compulsory education

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: spend $371 on sec 1 textbooks !

    Quote Originally Posted by Danntbt View Post
    and get sued for copyright infringement....

    ACS(I) and Cresent use Tablet PC.....cost over 2K each....compulsory....
    wah.. what if the student came from a poor / low income family ? what will happen to him or her ?

  20. #20

    Default Re: spend $371 on sec 1 textbooks !

    Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    wah.. what if the student came from a poor / low income family ? what will happen to him or her ?
    quite unlikely for the first school.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •