Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Internet connection is s-o s-l-o-w

Unhappy Internet connection is s-o s-l-o-w

Guess connections affected by the earthquake...

Default Re: Internet connection is s-o s-l-o-w

Got this message from our company's IT Helpdesk:

"Due to the strong earthquake at Taiwan (Taipei) , the Telco submarine cables at Taipei were badly damaged and it affected all internet surfing traffic from Singapore to the overseas sites for all Internet service providers including Singnet, Pacific Internet and Starhub."

Can't connect to the Windows Live Messenger service too...

Quote Originally Posted by sgvideoman View Post
    roger that.

same to me. slowwww

Quote Originally Posted by sgvideoman View Post
    Same here, and overseas websites are unable to load. Thank goodness CS is still up. Think about how interconnected we are these days, where even an earthquake in taipei has an immediate effect on us here.

QX

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
    Same here, and overseas websites are unable to load. Thank goodness CS is still up. Think about how interconnected we are these days, where even an earthquake in taipei has an immediate effect on us here.

QX
    boo hoo hoo.............I NEED MSN!!!!!

Yea affect me over here as well. Hopefully its resolved soon.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Quote Originally Posted by GmbH. View Post

"Due to the strong earthquake at Taiwan (Taipei) , the Telco submarine cables at Taipei were badly damaged and it affected all internet surfing traffic from Singapore to the overseas sites for all Internet service providers including Singnet, Pacific Internet and Starhub."
    No ETA when it would be fixed huh?

Can't even connect to overseas site now, but as someone else pointed out, small price to pay to be spared from the earthquake itself.

The following sites cannot be accessed as well.

1. www.yahoo.com

2. www.google.com.sg

3. mail.google.com

4. www.cnn.com

5. www.foxnews.com

6. www.bbc.co.uk
    Last edited by sgvideoman; 27th December 2006 at 12:01 PM.

QX
    The world is strongly interdependent. Anything happening elsewhere will have an effect on us.

Besides the SEA-ME-WE, what are the other optical fiber links in the oceans?

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    No ETA when it would be fixed huh?

Can't even connect to overseas site now, but as someone else pointed out, small price to pay to be spared from the earthquake itself.
    it would be nice if the switch the job of taiwan to singapore , we will be getting hyperfast surfing speed.

Damn, I didn't know we're so dependent on Taiwan for access to overseas sites.

Yep, most overseas sites are unreachable while the ISPs/telcos trying to re-route the huge amounts of traffic via other paths.

It's unfortunate that Singapore has too little content to keep the traffic within. Luckily ClubSnap is hosted in Singapore with good content else will be quite boring being online.

Quote Originally Posted by GmbH. View Post

"...not taking what one doesn't desire is the hardest thing in the world" - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    same here too. i thought singapore was either by its own or linked to japan. nv knew taiwan was in too.

All the subsea cables that carry Internet traffic need repeaters and landing points. Cables can be cut/broken on the ocean floor because of natural disasters such as earthquakes, tsunamis, and also man-made such as anchors and sometimes sabotage.

Cable repair requires sending special ships out to the ocean, and these repairs depend on factors such as weather, etc.
    "...not taking what one doesn't desire is the hardest thing in the world" - Albert Camus

Link to Taiwan cause it is cheaper??? I dont get it leh.... Why need to link to Taiwan to surf other oversea site???

Arrow Re: Internet connection is s-o s-l-o-w

I concur, we're now more connected then ever. No joy with overseas website.

QX

it is not just about taiwan.. the earthquake was a large scale one deep into the pacific ocean.. heard from radio that 6 cables at hongkong, china and taiwan all affected.
    Last edited by raincool2005; 27th December 2006 at 12:10 PM.

Boo. That sucks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast