Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3678910 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 194

Thread: Singtel Broadband Problems AGAIN!!!!!!

  1. #141
    Moderator LOTUSfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Serangoon
    Posts
    3,338

    Default Re: Singtel Broadband Problems AGAIN!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Happy View Post
    that's why ppl like me are still in the office trying to coordinate workarounds to our Taiwan office. dunno if i shd laugh, its been one crazy day

    Satay, i didn't mean to be harsh but thats reality. from the postings i've seen it seems we're all hell-bent on whacking our ISPs and no one actually pays attention to reading even a few past threads before shooting their mouths off. as much as i don't care for our ISPs as a personal user, this situation is really out of anyone's hands until the cables are repaired. so any amount of griping isn't going to do anything for anyone. so i say again, live with it. maybe its a sign for everyone to spend more time with their cameras

    haiz..(eekk my "h" key is working here). i use msn hotmail to send mail.....
    i cannot type the letter "h". I thought my keypad spoilt...but tried here, can leh...
    h h h h h h h.....ekkkk..
    蓮花仙子

  2. #142

    Default Re: Singtel Broadband Problems AGAIN!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by LOTUSfairy View Post
    haiz..(eekk my "h" key is working here). i use msn hotmail to send mail.....
    i cannot type the letter "h". I thought my keypad spoilt...but tried here, can leh...
    h h h h h h h.....ekkkk..
    dot dot dot.........

  3. #143

    Default Re: Singtel Broadband Problems AGAIN!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Happy View Post
    that's why ppl like me are still in the office trying to coordinate workarounds to our Taiwan office. dunno if i shd laugh, its been one crazy day

    Satay, i didn't mean to be harsh but thats reality. from the postings i've seen it seems we're all hell-bent on whacking our ISPs and no one actually pays attention to reading even a few past threads before shooting their mouths off. as much as i don't care for our ISPs as a personal user, this situation is really out of anyone's hands until the cables are repaired. so any amount of griping isn't going to do anything for anyone. so i say again, live with it. maybe its a sign for everyone to spend more time with their cameras

    The reason we all wack out isp is cos this has happened before without the quakes n stuff.. so what do we expect to do... n singaporean favourite pastime is complain mah wads more all the overseas sites cannot enter liao... so can only kill time here only...

  4. #144

    Default Re: Singtel Broadband Problems AGAIN!!!!!!

    This explains why there is no internet today for some sites.
    Asia quakes damage cables; Internet, banks affected
    SINGAPORE - Telecommunications around Asia were disrupted on Wednesday, slowing Internet services and hindering some financial transactions, after earthquakes off Taiwan damaged undersea cables.
    Six submarine cables had been knocked out by the earthquakes, KT Corp, South Korea's top fixed-line and broadband service provider, said in a statement.
    'Twenty-seven of our customers were hit, including banks and churches,' a KT spokesman said. 'It is not known yet when we can fully restore the services.'
    Banks in Seoul said foreign exchange trading had been affected.
    'Trading of the Korean won has mostly halted due to the communication problem,' said a dealer at one domestic bank.
    The main quake, measured by Taiwan's Central Weather Bureau at magnitude 6.7 and at magnitude 7.1 by the US Geological Survey, struck off Taiwan's southern coast at 1226 GMT on Tuesday. Two people were killed.
    PCCW, Hong Kong's main fixed-line telecoms provider, said several undersea cables it part-owned had been damaged.
    'Data transfer is down by half,' a spokesman said, slowing Internet access.
    Some disruption was also reported in the Tokyo currency market, but the EBS system, through which much dollar/yen trading is conducted, appeared to be working, traders said.
    The fibre-optic cables damaged by the quakes are run jointly by KT and foreign partners. KT is providing telephone services through alternative lines but has not restored broadband services offered to some clients, the spokesman said.
    KDDI Corp, Japan's second-largest telecoms company, said communications along submarine cables out of Japan went through Taiwan before reaching Southeast Asian countries, which was leading to disruption.
    But KDDI said communications were unlikely to break down completely since there were alternative lines.
    Singapore Telecommunications, Southeast Asia's top phone company, said some customers were suffering slow access to Internet pages and other data.
    But it said traffic was being diverted and repair work was in progress, adding: 'Our submarine cables linking to Europe and the US are not affected.'
    Singapore's second-largest telecoms firm, StarHub Ltd, said its customers were experiencing slower connection to some international websites because of the cable problems.
    'We are re-routing traffic to other cables,' a StarHub spokesman said. -- REUTERS

  5. #145

    Default Re: Singtel Broadband Problems AGAIN!!!!!!

    ever since they intro the 5k and 10k plan, my 3.5k connection experienced a little slow down.

  6. #146

    Default Re: Singtel Broadband Problems AGAIN!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    Nowadays alot of the call centres use VOIP (voice over IP) so the voice calls are routed thru the internet, so internet down, call centre also cannot call lor.
    Just want to correct misconception. The Internet is huge and spans many countries, so technically the Internet is not down, only some parts are not reachable or slower because of the Taiwan earthquake. The cable breakage isolates Asia from the US continent and possibly Europe and Middle East. The rest of the Internet world could still be functioning fine.

    As for VoIP especially in corporate use, it doesn't necessarily ride on the public Internet, but more typically on private network links to ensure quality and security. It's using IP technology but doesn't mean using the same Internet networks.

    Call center staff cannot be reached is likely because they're flooded with calls and can't cope with the sudden surge.
    "...not taking what one doesn't desire is the hardest thing in the world" - Albert Camus

  7. #147
    Moderator LOTUSfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Serangoon
    Posts
    3,338

    Default Re: Singtel Broadband Problems AGAIN!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by centurion_sg View Post
    Just want to correct misconception. The Internet is huge and spans many countries, so technically the Internet is not down, only some parts are not reachable or slower because of the Taiwan earthquake. The cable breakage isolates Asia from the US continent and possibly Europe and Middle East. The rest of the Internet world could still be functioning fine.

    As for VoIP especially in corporate use, it doesn't necessarily ride on the public Internet, but more typically on private network links to ensure quality and security. It's using IP technology but doesn't mean using the same Internet networks.

    Call center staff cannot be reached is likely because they're flooded with calls and can't cope with the sudden surge.
    huh? u noe very well...
    蓮花仙子

  8. #148

    Default Re: Singtel Broadband Problems AGAIN!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by centurion_sg View Post
    Just want to correct misconception. The Internet is huge and spans many countries, so technically the Internet is not down, only some parts are not reachable or slower because of the Taiwan earthquake. The cable breakage isolates Asia from the US continent and possibly Europe and Middle East. The rest of the Internet world could still be functioning fine.

    As for VoIP especially in corporate use, it doesn't necessarily ride on the public Internet, but more typically on private network links to ensure quality and security. It's using IP technology but doesn't mean using the same Internet networks.

    Call center staff cannot be reached is likely because they're flooded with calls and can't cope with the sudden surge.
    wah !!

  9. #149
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Singtel Broadband Problems AGAIN!!!!!!

    lo and behold! fat green pipe at home no problem!
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  10. #150

    Default Re: Singtel Broadband Problems AGAIN!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by centurion_sg View Post
    Just want to correct misconception. The Internet is huge and spans many countries, so technically the Internet is not down, only some parts are not reachable or slower because of the Taiwan earthquake. The cable breakage isolates Asia from the US continent and possibly Europe and Middle East. The rest of the Internet world could still be functioning fine.

    As for VoIP especially in corporate use, it doesn't necessarily ride on the public Internet, but more typically on private network links to ensure quality and security. It's using IP technology but doesn't mean using the same Internet networks.

    Call center staff cannot be reached is likely because they're flooded with calls and can't cope with the sudden surge.

    VoIP can rides on Virtual Networks as well as Public Internet.
    Virtural Networks are configured through router managements, for establishment of security.
    Data flow between router to router is between a mesh network
    which is layer 2 network or layer 3 network depending on the platform the Virtual Network is in.
    Regardless of platform, all data communication (on economical basis) runs through cables.

    VoIP does not necessarily ride on public internet.
    But it does ride on the same infrastructure that public internet rides on.
    So when cables are cut, VoIP or Internet, they both experience outage.

  11. #151

    Default Re: Singtel Broadband Problems AGAIN!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    lo and behold! fat green pipe at home no problem!
    likelihood
    1) you are surfing domestic sites or to sites host in countries not affected by the cable cut
    or
    2) Starhub purchased a different set of cables which runs physically parrallel to the ones SingTel purchased, but maybe located miles apart, hence Starhub's cable could have avoided the point of dislocation which SingTel experienced.

    which ever the case, its not quality in question here,
    its more like what God deems He likes, ie which cable to be subjected to acts of God.

  12. #152

    Default Re: Singtel Broadband Problems AGAIN!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    Nowadays alot of the call centres use VOIP (voice over IP) so the voice calls are routed thru the internet, so internet down, call centre also cannot call lor.
    hmm. the correct statement to use here will be: "Nowadays alot of the call centres use VOIP (voice over IP) so the voice calls are routed thru virtual private networks (which runs through cables), so cables are cut down, call centre also cannot call lor."

    VoIP can run through either internet or virtual private networks,
    but MNC do not run their VoIP over the internet platform, because it is not secured,
    and it is subjected to risk, so they typically pay more money, to hire virtual private network from Telcos. =)

  13. #153

    Default Re: Singtel Broadband Problems AGAIN!!!!!!

    my home's MaxOnline is ok since last night I went home,
    but company's Singtel Leased Line still cannot access US sites

  14. #154
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Singtel Broadband Problems AGAIN!!!!!!

    same with you. this morning happily checking up stuff form the net thinking all is rosy again. When i reach office again.. basket
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  15. #155
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Singtel Broadband Problems AGAIN!!!!!!

    same here.. m1 broadband and maxonline are okay.. but office internet is still down.

    heng.. got bring along the wireless broadband router... slot into the USB port and surf clubsnap.

  16. #156
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    cockroach-infested parsee lees
    Posts
    1,328

    Default Re: Singtel Broadband Problems AGAIN!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    same here.. m1 broadband and maxonline are okay.. but office internet is still down.

    heng.. got bring along the wireless broadband router... slot into the USB port and surf clubsnap.
    and pray tell where are you going to connect the backend of the router into? your office network?
    Many are culled, few are chosen

  17. #157
    Moderator LOTUSfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Serangoon
    Posts
    3,338

    Default Re: Singtel Broadband Problems AGAIN!!!!!!

    My office UK Site still down...and heng oso..can connect to CS and some other local sites only...cannot even yahoo or google...
    蓮花仙子

  18. #158
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Singtel Broadband Problems AGAIN!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Happy View Post
    and pray tell where are you going to connect the backend of the router into? your office network?
    well.. this is the best thing about a GSM mobile broadband. Slot in the SIM card and power up the router.. that's it. u don't need a telephone socket nor a cable port nor a LAN point.. becos it taps into the mobile network just like yourr mobilephone.

  19. #159

    Default Re: Singtel Broadband Problems AGAIN!!!!!!

    seems most of the local ISP (Starhub, M1BB, QALA, even Malaysia's Tmnet) are okay already,
    why Singtel/Singnet is still down???
    higher cost come with a lower availability...sigh

  20. #160

    Default Re: Singtel Broadband Problems AGAIN!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by vincent9999 View Post
    seems most of the local ISP (Starhub, M1BB, QALA, even Malaysia's Tmnet) are okay already,
    why Singtel/Singnet is still down???
    higher cost come with a lower availability...sigh
    Are you certain that Qala is up? I am connecting with pacific broadband but unable to reach qala.com.sg yours can?

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3678910 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •