Thread: AF probs with D80

Default AF probs with D80

Hey guys.. just reviewed the photos i recently took with my family durign this festive period using the D80 and found that photos i took with my family and relatives of 10 pple seemed a little out of focus.. I selected single area AF mode and wide zone.. i read the manual but i am still unsure of wat settings shd i set for portraiture? or shd i leave it to auto AF?

Default Re: AF probs with D80

Quote Originally Posted by leithunder View Post
    Hey guys.. just reviewed the photos i recently took with my family durign this festive period using the D80 and found that photos i took with my family and relatives of 10 pple seemed a little out of focus.. I selected single area AF mode and wide zone.. i read the manual but i am still unsure of wat settings shd i set for portraiture? or shd i leave it to auto AF?
    aperture used?

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    aperture used?
    Nikon D80
    Compressed RAW (12-bit)
    Image Size: Large (3872 x 2592)
    Color
    Lens: VR 24-120mm F/3.5-5.6 G
    Focal Length: 35mm
    Exposure Mode: Manual
    Metering Mode: Center-Weighted
    1/13 sec - F/8
    Exposure Comp.: -0.7 EV
    Sensitivity: ISO 1000
    Optimize Image: Normal
    White Balance: Flash
    AF Mode: AF-S
    Auto Flash Comp: -1.0 EV
    Color Mode: Mode Ia (sRGB)
    Tone Comp.: Auto
    Hue Adjustment: 0
    Saturation: Auto
    Sharpening: Auto
    Image Comment:
    Long Exposure NR: Off
    Bounce/Wide Panel
    High ISO NR: On (High)

Quote Originally Posted by leithunder View Post
    1/13 sec - F/8
    Handshake.

Not handshake - this lens has VR and some subjects are clear.

Motion blur. Your shutter speed is too slow, so some of your relatives moved before the shutter closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Frijj View Post

Motion blur. Your shutter speed is too slow, so some of your relatives moved before the shutter closed.
    VR does not mean that you cannot get handshake. It simply reduce the it.

Got to see the photo to identify the actual problem.

BC

try AF with another lens with the D80. the 24-120 may have AF errors (as reported by the great KRW).
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

how abt using a tripod to shoot to rule out handshake issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Frijj View Post

The TS never mentioned that some subjects are clear, and VR doesn't mean you can eliminate handshake totally. Possibly a combination of both handshake and motion blur. Either way, increasing shutter speed should solve the problem.

I experienced a similar issue (and put it down to handshake, motion blur etc initially) but the shots were all in daylight at reasonably hih shutter speeds.

I was testing the D80 with the 18-135 kit lens (had borrowed the whole setup for a day). In camera the images looked fine. On the computer a significant percentage of the shots looked slightly out of focus.

Does the D80 have a focussing problem? Could it be an issue with a certain batch of their cameras (not likely, digital camera bodies unlike lenses should have much tighter variances and fault tolerance and consistency over the production run)?

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by nmk View Post
    I experienced a similar issue (and put it down to handshake, motion blur etc initially) but the shots were all in daylight at reasonably hih shutter speeds.

I was testing the D80 with the 18-135 kit lens (had borrowed the whole setup for a day). In camera the images looked fine. On the computer a significant percentage of the shots looked slightly out of focus.

Does the D80 have a focussing problem? Could it be an issue with a certain batch of their cameras (not likely, digital camera bodies unlike lenses should have much tighter variances and fault tolerance and consistency over the production run)?
    what was your shutter speed?

err...can you try with a f2.8 lens...see whether you still get the same problem??

Look carefully and see if it is a sharpness problem or focusing problem.

If it is a focussing problem, you should see that the image is focused on a different distance than that you focused on.

If it is a sharpness problem, you will not find a specific area that the image is focused. This can be due to a few reasons. Camera shake, lens resolution, camera sharpness setting, etc... or maybe you are zooming into the picture too much.

BC