Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: my sgt ask me take wedding....

Default Re: my sgt ask me take wedding....

Quote Originally Posted by tchern View Post
    Confident then shoot if not stay away/buck up and practise until you have confident. It's from a full time professional photographer (more than 10 years experience) who shot my wedding photos...

My utmost salutation to him. When his health was down he initiated to postphone the shooting without additional charge. He said he is not confident to shoot well in lesser health condition.

Like most professional photographer... You must know what you are going to shoot... else you'll miss out all the Best Angles and Precious Moments which may not come again.

I think you refer to Outdoor Photography and not AD Wedding right? else he postponed your AD?

Dont forget your spare flash and camera batteries.
    And you might want a spare body in case anything screws up also.

Blog Entries

wah lake dat very dangerous man

i'd stay away if i was you

Doesnt mean to sound crude but as the saying goes...

"Kiang Dio Ho, Mai Geh Kiang"

I learnt that from the ARMY.

just try your best to shoot and pass them the photos.. end of the day you'll gain something from this experience.. (like many wedding couples,) dont think they'll be very particular on the photography, anyway it's them who insist your 'on-job training'... no doubt there's limits on your first, just do you think is your best as appreciation..

erm.. why everyone recommend shoot RAW? why cannot just shoot jpeg leh?
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    erm.. why everyone recommend shoot RAW? why cannot just shoot jpeg leh?
    save time..

Quote Originally Posted by Wiz-kid View Post
    for his friend... i say i noob he say nvm..

so basically i got...

D70, 1GB CF, 18-200 3.5-6.3 sigma.

renting a sb800 and using wedding curve.

gd to go??? any tips?
    Hi, Wiz-kid. Congratulation for being asked to shoot a wedding, even if you don't have experience. Not many couples are willing to take that kind of risk for a paid shoot (unless you are referring to $10 ang-bao like discussed in the other thread). I believe you should have confidence in yourself. Basic photography techniques and rules applies for most standard shots.

However, my advice is that you gotta be familiar with your setup and understand it's limitations first. It's even possible to cover with 1 prime lens and an entry cam.

For example, if you are renting the SB800. I suggest your get it a few days earlier, get a black and a white cardboard (A3 size) stick your sgt face printout in both of them (hahah... joking only, but you need something skin colored that's about 1/5 the size of the cardboards). Put them side be side and try to get your flash exposure correct. Also know the recycling time for the SB800, especially when the battery is weak and know when you can change the batts without disrupting the flow of event.

Since you are new to this, do tell your "clients" to pause and pose for standard shots and don't attempt journalistic shots for those critical "must-haves" shots. Juz be careful you dun "pose" the young and aged for too long

Lastly, contingency planning... what if any of your equipment fails. Flash bulb is a life limited item and you are renting it.
    Last edited by CYRN; 26th December 2006 at 12:37 PM.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

hey fellow D70 user. yup a big CF is definately necessary. Make use of the raw function. but be warned excessive use of raw means u haf to slowly edit every single pic hehe if u hate ur sgt thats damn bo hua!!
    and also D70 tends to have a slow focus speed (in body focusing mechanism) so might miss some of the crucial moments. Your lens might not make it for dark shoots (banquet) if any. You might have to use a flexible switch between manual and AF? or get a 2.8flat lens ? (borrow one!) and extra batteries.

hehe my 2 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiz-kid View Post
    for his friend... i say i noob he say nvm..
    so basically i got...
    D70, 1GB CF, 18-200 3.5-6.3 sigma.
    renting a sb800 and using wedding curve.
    gd to go??? any tips?
    If I am you, I wouldn't do it. Even if I do, I do it as a secondary photographer. Shooting a wedding when you never ever have done so is very scary... R u familiar with the wedding proceeding ?? How to compose, table arrangment .... Forget about shooting in TTL. Use AA in SB800...

I have a friend who had shot a AD for his friend, and end up screw up. Composition is way out and I had seen the photo... end up he lost the friendship... and even get blast off ... so now he never ever do another wedding.... he just shoot for fun...

If your SGT insist that you take, let him be prepared and seriously I wouldn't even wan him to pay... take it as a experience... ( my two cent worth )...

Quote Originally Posted by DT_ View Post
    save time..
    think you got my question reversed? I take more time to process RAW photos.

RAW->TIFF->PS->JPEG

compared to

JPEG->PS->JPEG

Think we shouldn't confused the TS on RAW. If one isn't proficient in RAW processing, the photos might turn out even worse. RAW isn't the miracle-save-all solution.

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    think you got my question reversed? I take more time to process RAW photos.

RAW->TIFF->PS->JPEG

compared to

JPEG->PS->JPEG

Think we shouldn't confused the TS on RAW. If one isn't proficient in RAW processing, the photos might turn out even worse. RAW isn't the miracle-save-all solution.

i didnt got your question reverse... i take less time to process RAW..

RAW-> JPG, usually 400+ photos all batch, only the necessaries will be open in PS

JPG->PS->JPG, it's a killer to open, edit, save and close those 400+

Yup, if one isnt quite proficient in RAW he/she might thought JPG is an easier solution...

have you talked to the bride before?

i find that , generally, grooms are not so particular about photos and maybe that's the reason your SGT is OK even tho you didn't have lots of experience.

also, I am afraid that the bride may not know your skill level and may expect something which u may or may not be able to produce.

Are you serious?

Have you done any weddings beofore?
    Your Sgt hire you is because you have a camera?
    Did he check out your portfolio before he engage you?

If you don't get the "Money" shots during the wedding, there is no any amount of post production which able to save you.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by DT_ View Post
    i didnt got your question reverse... i take less time to process RAW..

RAW-> JPG, usually 400+ photos all batch, only the necessaries will be open in PS

JPG->PS->JPG, it's a killer to open, edit, save and close those 400+

Yup, if one isnt quite proficient in RAW he/she might thought JPG is an easier solution...
    wow thanks huh.. Yes I'm not proficient in RAW processing.

learnt something new today. I should start shooting RAW from today since all can be corrected with batch.

A few good points here being brought up..

1. SB800 - its about alot more than just using ttl and flash straight forward, as AD consist of a very large portion of indoor flash photography. Do you know bout diffusing your flash light? Filled flash? Lightsphere? Bounce card? Having you done event photography even?

2. Discussion with Bride and groom, for me i must have and i will study their time table at least a week before the AD or ROM, at times we even planned the timetable tgt for the best natural light conditions. If you intend to just go without meeting or talking to the couple and expect good quality images, it wont be easy.

3. Equipment. Holding a DSLR is far from being adequate to do weddings. When i cover AD, I carry nothing less than 2 bodies, 2 SB800, AFS 17-35 f2.8, 50mm f1.4 and a few other lens of similar quality, i even carry a 70-200 f2.8.. though its usually unused. The point is i am serious about my work.

Just some points for thought. Good luck to your shoot

everyone have their first try. don't worry, just shoot! and you will learn from there.

Yah..

Just go shoot.
    You'll gain a lot, while the couple may lose some.

But since the couple not your friend, there's no friendship to be broken anyway.
    Rule of thumb: NEVER shoot for a friend, paid or free..

Quote Originally Posted by AReality View Post
    Yah..

Just go shoot.
    You'll gain a lot, while the couple may lose some.

But since the couple not your friend, there's no friendship to be broken anyway.
    Rule of thumb: NEVER shoot for a friend, paid or free..

correct. just shoot lah. never make mistake how to learn. in the army already, no need spoonfeeding anymore. anyway some people don't really care about wedding photographs. Now more modern couples prefer to save money and spend the extra cash on the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Lmodel View Post
    I think you refer to Outdoor Photography and not AD Wedding right? else he postponed your AD?
    Yes. same principle goes for AD wedding. That is for paid photographer...
    For my AD wedding i got (thru bro in law) someone who was inexperienced and the shots was so.. so.. (Beginner) BUT I was not so concern... Except for my Photo Album (very well done and $$$$).

However My best advice is talk to them and establish an understanding between their expectations and your ability. As what i've learnt ... COMMUNICATE with your "Models" first (All professionals does). This should build up your confidence.
    Last edited by tchern; 28th December 2006 at 12:40 AM.
    :blah: D80, Sigma 18-50/f2.8, 70-200/f2.8 (HSM).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast