Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 60

Thread: LCD PC Monitor

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Riddle Realms
    Posts
    5,688

    Default

    Originally posted by Wai


    very cheap already lar...last year, all these 17" CRT were abt $300+
    Yeah, i agree, that's why i said it was a fair deal.

    My current one, a Princeton 17" non flat was bought @ $350 a couple of years back and now it's acting all wonky on me...
    Last edited by Wolfgang; 13th February 2003 at 12:54 AM.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

  2. #22

    Default

    The CRT usually outlasts the LCD by a long long way. However, the power consumption is much higher than the LCD. Since you keep the monitor on for extended periods of time, i think you MIGHT be better off with LCDs... If i were you, i'll be doing this


  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Also consider that LCDs have practically no radiation and glare, and your eyes will probably thank you for buying one, if you spend a lot of time in front of your monitor (like visiting CS).

    Regards
    CK

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Riddle Realms
    Posts
    5,688

    Default

    hmmmm... decisions decisions...

    It was mentioned that CRTs last longer than LCDs.
    Erm, how is tje life span like actually?
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

  5. #25

    Default

    Stretch your $$$ to $700+ and grab a Sony G420 and you'll be able to edit your photos at 100% with much less scrolling needed, saving you $$$ in medical fees due to prevention of carpal tunnel syndrome caused by excessive mouse usage.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Riddle Realms
    Posts
    5,688

    Default

    Originally posted by Zerstorer
    Stretch your $$$ to $700+ and grab a Sony G420 and you'll be able to edit your photos at 100% with much less scrolling needed, saving you $$$ in medical fees due to prevention of carpal tunnel syndrome caused by excessive mouse usage.
    Thats not stretching.. thats call pulling and then suffering from subsequent deformation.

    Sony G420 is how many "? And is there a reason why this model and brand is recommanded? Just realised that you are not the first to have mentioned it....
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

  7. #27

    Default

    Originally posted by Wolfgang


    Thats not stretching.. thats call pulling and then suffering from subsequent deformation.

    Sony G420 is how many "? And is there a reason why this model and brand is recommanded? Just realised that you are not the first to have mentioned it....
    Aiyo...

    ASK Adam lah...

    He was in the same postion as you a fews ..weeks.. err.. months ago..
    Now... what he is using?
    hehhehheheee

  8. #28

    Default

    It's a 19" CRT. Allows you to work at 1600x1200@85Hz comfortably with Large fonts enabled. Also has nice 4port USB hub integrated.

    Have used the Sony G420, Samsung 959NF and Philips 109P before and find this the most consitent performer. Find the 959NF not as sharp either the G420 or 109P even when convergence is tuned and same graphics cards used. 109P is also good, but lacks the USB hub and seems to have slight QC problems from sample to sample.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Riddle Realms
    Posts
    5,688

    Default

    Originally posted by Zerstorer
    It's a 19" CRT. Allows you to work at 1600x1200@85Hz comfortably with Large fonts enabled. Also has nice 4port USB hub integrated.

    Have used the Sony G420, Samsung 959NF and Philips 109P before and find this the most consitent performer. Find the 959NF not as sharp either the G420 or 109P even when convergence is tuned and same graphics cards used. 109P is also good, but lacks the USB hub and seems to have slight QC problems from sample to sample.
    Hmmmmmm.... 19" you say?

    But i don't really have the need for the USB port, nor the size...
    Sigh... would need to make a trip down to take a look myself to determind, at the same time, check out how bulky the whole monitor is....

    AG.... what made you choose the Sony instead? And is it very bulky?
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

  10. #30

    Default

    In terms of physical bulk, the Philips 109P is the most compact 19" true flat CRT. Think the 959NF is slightly boxier than the G420.

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Riddle Realms
    Posts
    5,688

    Default

    Originally posted by Zerstorer
    In terms of physical bulk, the Philips 109P is the most compact 19" true flat CRT. Think the 959NF is slightly boxier than the G420.
    hmmmmmm... Philips' model true flat CRT? then what about the Sony? *is confused*
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

  12. #32

    Default

    Originally posted by Wolfgang


    hmmmmmm... Philips' model true flat CRT? then what about the Sony? *is confused*
    All the 3 mentioned are "True Flat" monitors using Aperture Grille tubes.(Diamontron/Trinitron)

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Riddle Realms
    Posts
    5,688

    Default

    But why is Sony the more popular one?

    Sorry hor, i realy abit
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

  14. #34

    Default

    samsung is the way to go

    Looks great,performs great
    price is great

  15. #35

    Default

    Originally posted by Wolfgang
    But why is Sony the more popular one?

    Sorry hor, i realy abit
    Aesthetics perhaps?

    Well, the Sony does have some features that the other 2 in their current iterations lack. BNC inputs and USB hub.

    Anyway, I did prefer the colours on the Sony even when all 3 monitors were eye-calibrated by me with Adobe Gamma.

  16. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Johore Bahru, Malaysia
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Originally posted by Wolfgang
    But why is Sony the more popular one?

    Sorry hor, i realy abit
    Sony's popular because:

    1. SHARP
    2. Accurate and good colour reproduction
    3. Flat screen
    4 Usually (as far as i know and tried) high resolutions with high refresh rates

    Supporting fact:
    1. Nearly all the monitors in my lab are either Sony or Viewsonic
    19" and 21"
    2. We running CAD/CAM programmes with it.

    Btw, regarding the coating problem on the Samsung series. I'm also having tht problem. I'm using 753DF. After 1 yr +, part of the coating came off....sigh...

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Riddle Realms
    Posts
    5,688

    Default

    Originally posted by Zerstorer

    Aesthetics perhaps?

    Well, the Sony does have some features that the other 2 in their current iterations lack. BNC inputs and USB hub.

    Anyway, I did prefer the colours on the Sony even when all 3 monitors were eye-calibrated by me with Adobe Gamma.
    Righto... lets see how long my monitor will hold up... (it's acting weird, like having pin-cushion distortion after a few mins of use and having to turn it on and off and it will be ok. Was told that this is a sign my monitor is going to a peaceful place to rest forever-more.... )
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Riddle Realms
    Posts
    5,688

    Default

    Originally posted by roon2c


    Sony's popular because:

    1. SHARP
    2. Accurate and good colour reproduction
    3. Flat screen
    4 Usually (as far as i know and tried) high resolutions with high refresh rates

    Supporting fact:
    1. Nearly all the monitors in my lab are either Sony or Viewsonic
    19" and 21"
    2. We running CAD/CAM programmes with it.

    Btw, regarding the coating problem on the Samsung series. I'm also having tht problem. I'm using 753DF. After 1 yr +, part of the coating came off....sigh...
    I see... you having the Samsung coat issue too huh?

    As for Sony... well, i'm a tad concerned about it being too expensive since it's a CRT... And also the size...
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

  19. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Johore Bahru, Malaysia
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Originally posted by Wolfgang


    I see... you having the Samsung coat issue too huh?

    As for Sony... well, i'm a tad concerned about it being too expensive since it's a CRT... And also the size...
    i forgot to tell u, the picture tube of the sony one also bery lasting, cause after so many years (at least got 4 yrs), the monitors in my lab still tht sharp and bright.

    usually, after a few years, the quality of the picture tube will deteriorate. Furthermore, most of the monitors in my lab runs nearly 24/7 except on holidays

    Good luck, wolvie!

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Riddle Realms
    Posts
    5,688

    Default

    Originally posted by roon2c


    i forgot to tell u, the picture tube of the sony one also bery lasting, cause after so many years (at least got 4 yrs), the monitors in my lab still tht sharp and bright.

    usually, after a few years, the quality of the picture tube will deteriorate. Furthermore, most of the monitors in my lab runs nearly 24/7 except on holidays

    Good luck, wolvie!
    Hmmmm.... decisions decisions....

    thanks for the heads up as well...
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •