Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LCD PC Monitor

Originally posted by Wai

very cheap already lar...last year, all these 17" CRT were abt $300+
    Yeah, i agree, that's why i said it was a fair deal.

My current one, a Princeton 17" non flat was bought @ $350 a couple of years back and now it's acting all wonky on me...
    Last edited by Wolfgang; 13th February 2003 at 12:54 AM.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

The CRT usually outlasts the LCD by a long long way. However, the power consumption is much higher than the LCD. Since you keep the monitor on for extended periods of time, i think you MIGHT be better off with LCDs... If i were you, i'll be doing this

Also consider that LCDs have practically no radiation and glare, and your eyes will probably thank you for buying one, if you spend a lot of time in front of your monitor (like visiting CS).

Regards
    CK

hmmmm... decisions decisions...

It was mentioned that CRTs last longer than LCDs.
    Erm, how is tje life span like actually?
    --

Stretch your $$$ to $700+ and grab a Sony G420 and you'll be able to edit your photos at 100% with much less scrolling needed, saving you $$$ in medical fees due to prevention of carpal tunnel syndrome caused by excessive mouse usage.

Originally posted by Zerstorer
    Stretch your $$$ to $700+ and grab a Sony G420 and you'll be able to edit your photos at 100% with much less scrolling needed, saving you $$$ in medical fees due to prevention of carpal tunnel syndrome caused by excessive mouse usage.
    Thats not stretching.. thats call pulling and then suffering from subsequent deformation.

Sony G420 is how many "? And is there a reason why this model and brand is recommanded? Just realised that you are not the first to have mentioned it....
    --

Originally posted by Wolfgang

Thats not stretching.. thats call pulling and then suffering from subsequent deformation.

Sony G420 is how many "? And is there a reason why this model and brand is recommanded? Just realised that you are not the first to have mentioned it....
    Aiyo...

ASK Adam lah...

He was in the same postion as you a fews ..weeks.. err.. months ago..
    Now... what he is using?
    hehhehheheee

It's a 19" CRT. Allows you to work at 1600x1200@85Hz comfortably with Large fonts enabled. Also has nice 4port USB hub integrated.

Have used the Sony G420, Samsung 959NF and Philips 109P before and find this the most consitent performer. Find the 959NF not as sharp either the G420 or 109P even when convergence is tuned and same graphics cards used. 109P is also good, but lacks the USB hub and seems to have slight QC problems from sample to sample.

It's a 19" CRT. Allows you to work at 1600x1200@85Hz comfortably with Large fonts enabled. Also has nice 4port USB hub integrated.

Have used the Sony G420, Samsung 959NF and Philips 109P before and find this the most consitent performer. Find the 959NF not as sharp either the G420 or 109P even when convergence is tuned and same graphics cards used. 109P is also good, but lacks the USB hub and seems to have slight QC problems from sample to sample.
    Hmmmmmm.... 19" you say?

But i don't really have the need for the USB port, nor the size...
    Sigh... would need to make a trip down to take a look myself to determind, at the same time, check out how bulky the whole monitor is....

AG.... what made you choose the Sony instead? And is it very bulky?
    --

In terms of physical bulk, the Philips 109P is the most compact 19" true flat CRT. Think the 959NF is slightly boxier than the G420.

In terms of physical bulk, the Philips 109P is the most compact 19" true flat CRT. Think the 959NF is slightly boxier than the G420.
    hmmmmmm... Philips' model true flat CRT? then what about the Sony? *is confused*
    --

hmmmmmm... Philips' model true flat CRT? then what about the Sony? *is confused*
    All the 3 mentioned are "True Flat" monitors using Aperture Grille tubes.(Diamontron/Trinitron)

But why is Sony the more popular one?

Sorry hor, i realy abit
    --

samsung is the way to go

Looks great,performs great
    price is great

Sorry hor, i realy abit
    Aesthetics perhaps?

Well, the Sony does have some features that the other 2 in their current iterations lack. BNC inputs and USB hub.

Anyway, I did prefer the colours on the Sony even when all 3 monitors were eye-calibrated by me with Adobe Gamma.

Sorry hor, i realy abit
    Sony's popular because:

1. SHARP
    2. Accurate and good colour reproduction
    3. Flat screen
    4 Usually (as far as i know and tried) high resolutions with high refresh rates

Supporting fact:
    1. Nearly all the monitors in my lab are either Sony or Viewsonic
    19" and 21"
    2. We running CAD/CAM programmes with it.

Btw, regarding the coating problem on the Samsung series. I'm also having tht problem. I'm using 753DF. After 1 yr +, part of the coating came off....sigh...

Aesthetics perhaps?

Well, the Sony does have some features that the other 2 in their current iterations lack. BNC inputs and USB hub.

Anyway, I did prefer the colours on the Sony even when all 3 monitors were eye-calibrated by me with Adobe Gamma.
    Righto... lets see how long my monitor will hold up... (it's acting weird, like having pin-cushion distortion after a few mins of use and having to turn it on and off and it will be ok. Was told that this is a sign my monitor is going to a peaceful place to rest forever-more.... )
    --

Originally posted by roon2c

Sony's popular because:

1. SHARP
    2. Accurate and good colour reproduction
    3. Flat screen
    4 Usually (as far as i know and tried) high resolutions with high refresh rates

Supporting fact:
    1. Nearly all the monitors in my lab are either Sony or Viewsonic
    19" and 21"
    2. We running CAD/CAM programmes with it.

Btw, regarding the coating problem on the Samsung series. I'm also having tht problem. I'm using 753DF. After 1 yr +, part of the coating came off....sigh...
    I see... you having the Samsung coat issue too huh?

As for Sony... well, i'm a tad concerned about it being too expensive since it's a CRT... And also the size...
    --

I see... you having the Samsung coat issue too huh?

As for Sony... well, i'm a tad concerned about it being too expensive since it's a CRT... And also the size...
    i forgot to tell u, the picture tube of the sony one also bery lasting, cause after so many years (at least got 4 yrs), the monitors in my lab still tht sharp and bright.

usually, after a few years, the quality of the picture tube will deteriorate. Furthermore, most of the monitors in my lab runs nearly 24/7 except on holidays

Good luck, wolvie!

Originally posted by roon2c

i forgot to tell u, the picture tube of the sony one also bery lasting, cause after so many years (at least got 4 yrs), the monitors in my lab still tht sharp and bright.

usually, after a few years, the quality of the picture tube will deteriorate. Furthermore, most of the monitors in my lab runs nearly 24/7 except on holidays

Good luck, wolvie!
    Hmmmm.... decisions decisions....

thanks for the heads up as well...
    --

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast