Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Lens cleaning cloth and a infrared filter question.

  1. #1

    Default Lens cleaning cloth and a infrared filter question.

    I have been using 3M lens cleaning cloth, but i am very shaky about it. everytime i rub it on a filter, it feels like rubber on rubber rather than smooth ice. any good suggestions on which good lens cleaning cloth to use? prefer long-time use cloths, not those disposable ones.

    and secondly, lately, i bought a hoya R72. seeing some dust on the inner glass of the filter, i used my 3M cloth to wipe it. to my horror, every wipe i applied, scratches appear!!! any infrared users also experience this problem? is the filter so senstive to touch? or is it just my cloth?


    thanks! merry christmas.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    KFC
    Posts
    1,777

    Default Re: Lens cleaning cloth and a infrared filter question.

    i do not use the same hoya filter as u, but i must agree that hoya filter surfaces are very very sensitive.... just a simple wipe can easily produce scratches...But luckily there is no effect on my images..

    My nikon filter doesn't give me such headache though...

  3. #3

    Default Re: Lens cleaning cloth and a infrared filter question.

    Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2 View Post
    i do not use the same hoya filter as u, but i must agree that hoya filter surfaces are very very sensitive.... just a simple wipe can easily produce scratches...But luckily there is no effect on my images..

    My nikon filter doesn't give me such headache though...
    what cloth are you using?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    130

    Default Re: Lens cleaning cloth and a infrared filter question.

    Hi satay16,

    do try using a blower for dust particles before wiping the filter. If the dust comes off, problem solved.

    If you must wipe the lens/filter, please ensure that the lens cleaning cloth you use is clean. If there are particles on the cloth, wiping your filter is, of course, going to cause abrasions.


    Bernard

  5. #5

    Default Re: Lens cleaning cloth and a infrared filter question.

    Quote Originally Posted by bernardy4416 View Post
    Hi satay16,

    do try using a blower for dust particles before wiping the filter. If the dust comes off, problem solved.

    If you must wipe the lens/filter, please ensure that the lens cleaning cloth you use is clean. If there are particles on the cloth, wiping your filter is, of course, going to cause abrasions.


    Bernard
    yeah, but some duct are very stubborun. the 3m cloth always scrathes the IR filter, no dust was on it. the cloth was just washed.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    130

    Default Re: Lens cleaning cloth and a infrared filter question.

    Hi satay16,

    bummer.

    I'm using the same IR filter as you are. So far, using the blower has been adequate to remove dust from the surfaces.

    Hope I don't have to use a lens cloth on mine


    Bernard

  7. #7

    Default Re: Lens cleaning cloth and a infrared filter question.

    hmm........have another thought: is a lens pen safer than cloth?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Lens cleaning cloth and a infrared filter question.

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    hmm........have another thought: is a lens pen safer than cloth?
    whats lens pen?
    PM me if U Want Asst Wedding Photographer
    http://totoro17.multiply.com http://chinhaven.tripod.com

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,881

    Default Re: Lens cleaning cloth and a infrared filter question.

    Either use a lens pen or chamois leather (Not sure if they still have them now).

  10. #10
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Lens cleaning cloth and a infrared filter question.

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    yeah, but some duct are very stubborun. the 3m cloth always scrathes the IR filter, no dust was on it. the cloth was just washed.
    Washed may not mean without debris.. 3M cloth is one which is meant to trap dirt onto the cloth. Personally, I have a few pieces of this cloth, but I use them for general purpose rather than on the lens directly.

    On the lens directly, I use a Panther Cloth from Kinetronics.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •