Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4912131415 LastLast

Thread: Calling all Maxonline users.

Default Re: Calling all Maxonline users.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    mervlam and all the other technollogically savvy CSers, I don't care all the kilobytes and kilobits, nor do I can what my local ISP is doing with the global ISP, nor do I care what is the exact technical defination of broadband. To me, it's how long I have to wait before I can finish downloading a file. That's is the only measurement I care.

Singapore is noticably slower than HK and Taiwan.

So, you can argue all you want, Singapore's broadband is narrower.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer View Post
    Seems to be a case of blaming the pan when your eggs are charred.
    exactly the case of blaming the pan for charred eggs. since you are not satisfied with the level of service provided, why bother subscribing in the first place? oh, poor you have a choice of only 2 pans, but you failed to understand they are functioning normally and it is you who is overdemanding.

why make sweeping statements like " so, you can argue all you want, Singapore's broadband is narrower"? can't substantiate your bogus claims with real hard scientific evidence? or can't be bothered to understand how the service is provided?
    Last edited by mervlam; 7th January 2007 at 06:24 PM.

Circuit Rd Maxonline 6500
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/72966738.png

Quote Originally Posted by germ_boi View Post
    Content, p2p content, music, photos, movies ie. things that need high bandwidth are all located out of our shores. As such, you will never be able to reach 12000kb/s or even 8000. So what exactly is the point of paying so much more?

For gaming? Even the popular bnet servers are in the US! So what's the real point of 12000 huh?
    Eherm eherm. I remember when I first signed up for broadband in SG several years go (PacNet, if you wanna know), the reasons I gave to my wife were:

1. I needed faster connection to office's VPN.
    2. The monthly cost of dial-up connection (phone/toll charges + dial-up subscription) was quite close to that of broadband's. In fact, at some point, it was higher than that.

Both still apply today... and more.

:Later,

Today's speed test...using SH own utility... sianz.

From Punggol.

12 Jan 07 1954H

Connecting to Server ...
    Logging on to Server ...
    Starting 1st download
    Starting 2nd download

An FTPException was encountered when running the FTP Command: Code 425

12 Jan 07 1955H - 2003H

Download Stats:

Transfer Time: 478141 milliseconds
    Total File Size: 10240000 bytes

Top Speed Attained: 1.33 Mbps

12 Jan 07 2230H

Download Stats:

Transfer Time: 511766 milliseconds
    Total File Size: 10240000 bytes

Top Speed Attained: 2.78 Mbps
    Last edited by CYRN; 12th January 2007 at 11:10 PM.

dont trust SH utility too much.. Use download manager and download big files with multiple connections to the server.. gauge the speed from there

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    As we all know, on 28 Decemeber 2006, Maxonline 4000 would become Maxonline 6000, and 6500 would become 12000.

I am slightly doubtful about Starhub offerings, and decided to just do a simple experiment through comparison of the speeds before and after the upgrade of Csers using Starhub.

To start off, let's all use the same bencemark, www.speedtest.net using the Singapore server. So for now, all Starhub users just run this test and display the results here. After 28 Decemeber, we will run the test again to see if the degree of improvement is as advertised. Remember to state the plan you are under too.

Here's mine:

Maxonline 6500

Merry Christmas!!!!
    so the ultimate 30mpbs will become 100mpbs?

Quote Originally Posted by tokrot View Post
    so the ultimate 30mpbs will become 100mpbs?
    yes..

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    yes..
    With DOCSIS 3.0 modem only though.. even then, if you connect through router, you may not get 100MBps. SOHO router that is.

Maxonline 6000

URL=http://www.speedtest.net][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by mervlam View Post
    exactly the case of blaming the pan for charred eggs. since you are not satisfied with the level of service provided, why bother subscribing in the first place? oh, poor you have a choice of only 2 pans, but you failed to understand they are functioning normally and it is you who is overdemanding.

why make sweeping statements like " so, you can argue all you want, Singapore's broadband is narrower"? can't substantiate your bogus claims with real hard scientific evidence? or can't be bothered to understand how the service is provided?
    I believe it is true that Singapore broadband is much slower than HK. I have not experienced myself but this is what I heard from many of HK friends. It is not difficult to understand why. But the gap is getting closer.
    "He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."- Jim Elliot

I am not surprise if a user persistently hogging the bandwidth, i would believe the ISP or the server admin would limit the traffic to that particular user.

The only issue i have is, the isp are not telling us how heavily utilized are the international links. So no matter how big my pipe is from my home to local exchange, it is useless to me if the international links are congested most of the time and I access international more than local.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer View Post
    It's not so straightforward as that. Many users assume that there is a download cap when its simply the overseas server imposing the restriction. One can easily exceed 5000kbps total when downloading from many multiple overseas sources. So far I do not perceive any download cap on the part of local ISPs. Its almost always source bottlenecks.

When I was on Maxonline 2000/4000 I was always using it at its maximum connection for almost all downloads. Most servers impose single user download caps, the use of any multithreaded download software will bypass that restriction in most cases.
    "He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."- Jim Elliot

A better way to test is to compare singnet and starhub accessing a server in the US/China/HK. It depends which is your most frequent server/country. Also test only during peak hours.

It is not surprise to find that SingNet could actually be faster than starhub.

user a -3Mbps--- singnet ---congested--------US server A
    user a -6Mbps--- starhub --more congested??-----US server A

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    I found many idiotic ruch to support Starhub, and it's so call service of fast internet access. In Singapore, there is no such thing as fast internet access, if you are trying to access a site outside of Singapore.

You can mince words and support Starhub claims that you have 12000 speed inside this tiny island, but it is a fact that most of the content are in the US. The Taiwan earthquake and the undersea cable failure had clearly demonstrated this fact. So, unless you are going to limit yourselves to site in Singapore, good luck to fast internet access.

By the way, a more realistic and accurate test is to test the speed to say servers in Singapore, HK, Tokyo, US and Europe. Then you can really compare. Still, it is sad that I can access a server in China faster from the US than from Singapore.

It's a fact, broadband in Singapre is pretty narrow, as long as we are living on this closed island, guarded by filters, we will alwasy have slower internet access.

this is what i have minute ago.

sux big time

maxonline express

this is to the Jakatar server

seem faster than singapore server

to japan server, upload faster than download...

not so Express

My Express..

Accessing Japan using Starhub seriously having a problem now... latency > 1000ms ! I just heard another submarine cable cut.

Quote Originally Posted by donchua View Post
    My Express..

Quote Originally Posted by evershine View Post
    I am not surprise if a user persistently hogging the bandwidth, i would believe the ISP or the server admin would limit the traffic to that particular user.
    Zhun bo... like that why subscribe to high speed unlimited access in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by evershine View Post
    They may throttle ports used by popular p2p filesharing software, but that is easily overcome. I doubt they will throttle bandwidth on any specific user. In anycase, it is difficult to say with any certainty what is the issue if one is using P2P performance as a gauge.

I've always been able to get full download speeds on all http/ftp downloads for the past 8 years and that I believe is a more accurate measure of whether the bandwidth is present.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4912131415 LastLast