Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need recommendation for a DSLR cam!

Cool Need recommendation for a DSLR cam!

I'm fairly new to photography, and I'm really interested in getting a camera that can do better than my current digital camera.

I'm thinking of the

Olympus E500

or the

Canon EOS-300D

Would greatly appreciate if you recommend me either one of this or any other nice ones. I'm looking for a normal DSLR camera with average functions, and good looking camera. (A good looking one IMO would be something like the Olympus E500.)

Thank you!

Default Re: Need recommendation for a DSLR cam!

It would be easier if you stated what your current digital camera was as well as what your budget is as anything form 1k+ - 15k can get you a better digital camera =p.

You can try the entry level cameras like the Nikon d50 or canon 400D or hunt around for second hand 350D's (going for sub 1k now) or D70's in the BnS sub-forum. Do keep in mind to add a few hundred to your original purchases for other accessories like cleaning equip, dry box/cabinet or maybe even CF/SD cards if none are included.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Firstly, I'd say go for at least the 350D coz 300D has been around for too long.

Secondly, I havent heard of anyone looking for a "good-looking" camera, apart from you. The usual concern is the Noise, Color Output, Size of Camera, Handling, pricing, etc.. I'd guess you'll need "good-looking" lens to compliments the "good-looking" camera as well

Back to the topic, any idea of your budget that you need to start this hobby? You'll probably need alot more things than just the DSLR to kickstart this hobby (on the assumption that you are using P&S currently).

Cheers

imo a brand new 400D or 350D will do you much justice.

if you don't mind 2nd hand products there are many users that are selling off their used 350D systems. you can just kick start from there since all the important accessories most oftenly comes with the package. perhaps you just have to spend another amount on a dry box or dry cabi and couple with a few more CF cards.

like what raptor says, a few more hundreds to the original amount.

not to mention the legendary BBB virus
    random equipment.
    where are my primes?

Quote Originally Posted by Le'Jay View Post
    I'm fairly new to photography, and I'm really interested in getting a camera that can do better than my current digital camera.

Would greatly appreciate if you recommend me either one of this or any other nice ones. I'm looking for a normal DSLR camera with average functions, and good looking camera. (A good looking one IMO would be something like the Olympus E500.)

Thank you!
    OT: is there a abnormal one somewhere?

anyway back to topic, i guess you mean basic dSLR with basic function, some choice from each vendor are
    Canon 350D or 400D
    Nikon D40 or D50
    Pentax K100D
    Olympus E330 and E500
    Im not sure how you define good look, but all dSLR looks good to me.

oopz, guess i stated too many.

Thanks for the recs guys.

My current camera is the Fujifilm FinePix A340.

I have decided, I'm going for the 400D. Any idea what is the range of price for a brand new one and a 2nd hand one and where to get em? (: I'll just get the camera first, and when I've got the money and into the hobby even deeper, I'll get the kits.

Thanks for the recs guys.

My current camera is the Fujifilm FinePix A340.

I have decided, I'm going for the 400D. Any idea what is the range of price for a brand new one and a 2nd hand one and where to get em? (: I'll just get the camera first, and when I've got the money and into the hobby even deeper, I'll get the kits.
    you must be kidding... you get the cam, and don get the lens.
    how are you gonna shoot without a lens?

don't get the cam first
    warranty is on-going whether you have lens or not

Be like me and get the lens first before getting a body hehe. Well i did havea film body though... but seriously dont buy until you have enough $ to afford both the lens and body together..
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

actually i recce-ed today at funan and peninsula..i find myself very limited by the canon kit lens 18-55mm , i'd get a body, then a long lens..like a 18-200 or somthing liddat,
    Nikon D80, 1.8k comes with 18-135mm lens, it's still up to you.
    cheers...
    Canon 400D:18-55:75-300:50F1.8:tokina 28-70F2.8:
    msn - viroxmk5@hotmail.com

Another similar case on 400D, whether to get the body then buy other lens or get the body + kit lens....

Think you buy the body with kit lens first so that you can familiar yourself with it before deciding on what to buy for future add-ons. I recommend 400D!

Quote Originally Posted by palvin View Post
    Another similar case on 400D, whether to get the body then buy other lens or get the body + kit lens....

Think you buy the body with kit lens first so that you can familiar yourself with it before deciding on what to buy for future add-ons. I recommend 400D!
    Yep, that's what I mean initially. Forgive me, I didn't know the lens don't come together with the body. A 400D would cost around 1k+, right?

Yep, that's what I mean initially. Forgive me, I didn't know the lens don't come together with the body. A 400D would cost around 1k+, right?
    recced, about 1.3 to 1.4k for 400D kit around funan and peninsula area...
    i'm a telephoto kind of guy, so ya, that's why i'm going for decent telephoto ranges..

Cheers^^v

PS: Digital Rebel XT should be the 350D if i recall properly...

If you can afford it, just buy the 400D body and then spend what you can on a lens. The kit lens is definitely the weak link in the Canon chain and you'll be much happier with the 28-105IS or similar.

get the NIkon D40... with lens brand new $900+ only

look nice ah? those D1 or 1Ds models lah

Hi Le'Jay,

welcome to the world of photography

Thinking of some new kit? Can't say I blame you, I think of that ALL the time.....must be the BBB virus

Perhaps some points to consider would be:

i) What is your budget?
    ii) What limitations does your current camera impose on your chosen area of photography? (eg: landscape, macro, wild-life.....)
    iii) Which area(s) of photography are you most interested in?
    iv) Do you see yourself keeping this hobby for some time to come? (photography IS an expensive hobby, unfortunately)
    v) What other cameras/lenses/accessories do you currently possess?

Bernard

Quote Originally Posted by SnapJaX View Post
    PS: Digital Rebel XT should be the 350D if i recall properly...
    Yup, this is the name they used in US countries but its a similar model.

Erm... can't tell you the exact price as different sellers got different prices. But the price differences is not big lah.

Please visit the link below and check out the latest 400D prices.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...=154099&page=5

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...208835&page=28

buy nikon d1h. look for a used set. price hovers around not more than 1.5K SGD. batteries get from eastgear (the original batteries sux..lol) it should be enough to give u a feel of pro-body at a good price. even though the resolution is onl 2.7megapixels, u can still print out on A4 with no loss in quality.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast